Time to abandon Safari?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Time to abandon Safari?

Post by bayswater »

I've tried to stick with Safari. I'm used to it, and like how it works, but I'm coming across more and more sites where it simply doesn't work. In every case, Chrome and Firefox have no problems. And I'm getting more and more tech support replies telling me to use Chrome because that's what their site was written for. It seems to be this should be unacceptable to the general user community, but there it is.

A common example is Amazon where many images of products just don't display. A more troublesome example is an on line paid course where the login screen don't work with Safari. I've had Zoom sessions that won't launch when accessed via Safari.

Is it time to move to Chrome? Does Chrome call home and report us to our cosmic overlords?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Rick Cornish

Re: Time to abandon Safari?

Post by Rick Cornish »

I know what you mean… I like Safari's integration with MacOS and (especially) with 1Password, but my mortgage company's website only works on Chrome (same with SBA.gov) and some other sites are pissy about working on Safari, though I’ve never had trouble with Amazon.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Is it time to move to Chrome? Does Chrome call home and report us to our cosmic overlords?
Yea. Although there are ways to mitigate it a bit, it doesn't have the anti-tracking features (and problems) of Safari. I use Safari on iOS/iPadOs, however.

All of my friends keep telling my I need to switch to duckduckgo
https://duckduckgo.com/

Ok, I get it but I'm trying to get work done.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

I feel like I just saw a browser percentage #, and Safari has fallen to a much smaller percentage than I’d have guessed.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:28 pm
Yea. Although there are ways to mitigate it a bit, it doesn't have the anti-tracking features (and problems) of Safari. I use Safari on iOS/iPadOs, however.

All of my friends keep telling my I need to switch to duckduckgo
https://duckduckgo.com/

Ok, I get it but I'm trying to get work done.
I use Safari on iOS too. It doesn't seem to have the same problems.
I use DuckDuckGo in place of Google. They have a browser too?
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Rick Cornish wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:24 pm I’ve never had trouble with Amazon.
It's Amazon.ca. I expect you use Amazon.com and that works OK for me too. Strange.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

I prefer Firefox for one reason only: The quality and quantity of the extensions. Chrome is not there yet IMHO. I still find certain sites (usually financial) that don't render correctly in FF, usually a tick box. If you don't want to mess with Chrome, you could try Brave, which is based on the Chromium engine. It has built-in ad blocking that is very good, and is more privacy oriented, and still uses Chrome extensions.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

I have Firefox as a backup for stupid web developers that can't code and only work with Firefox, but I prefer Safari. I don't know of any thing I use that requires Chrome, and I'm glad. I don't even have it installed. It's bad enough I use Facebook.. :x
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

I've always been a Safari guy.

I live in hope that compatimability issues will be addressed at some point; they only affect me rarely, thank goodness.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

I’ve started using Chrome more for it’s built in “web MIDI” (or whatever it’s called) support. Notation’s Component (the library management software for its instruments) and the editor for my Mod Duo X require it.

I use it ONLY for things like that though.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Abandoned it years ago - used Firefox ever since with not too many problems - don't like the latest update though so rolled back to the previous.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
mothra

Post by mothra »

nk_e wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:08 am I’ve started using Chrome more for it’s built in “web MIDI” (or whatever it’s called) support. Notation’s Component (the library management software for its instruments) and the editor for my Mod Duo X require it.

Just curious what part of Components needs Chrome/WebMIDI?? Ive only ever used it to back up my Bass Station/Launchkey and update them but haven't seen anything that needs a browser yet? I dont even have Chrome on my Mac (still good old Safari after all these years).

Theres a really killer control panel for the EMU EIV series that works over WebMIDI, I keep hoping Safari will add support one day so I dont have to keep getting up and going over to the sampler to do anything.
M2 Pro Mini, macOS 14, MOTU 828x/Ferrofish Pulse 16, Cubase Pro/MPC
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

mothra wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:15 am
nk_e wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:08 am I’ve started using Chrome more for it’s built in “web MIDI” (or whatever it’s called) support. Notation’s Component (the library management software for its instruments) and the editor for my Mod Duo X require it.

Just curious what part of Components needs Chrome/WebMIDI?? Ive only ever used it to back up my Bass Station/Launchkey and update them but haven't seen anything that needs a browser yet? I dont even have Chrome on my Mac (still good old Safari after all these years).

Theres a really killer control panel for the EMU EIV series that works over WebMIDI, I keep hoping Safari will add support one day so I dont have to keep getting up and going over to the sampler to do anything.
The summit/peak sound manager requires web MIDI. It won’t work in safari. There’s a stand-alone version of components also of course.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

mothra

Post by mothra »

nk_e wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:52 am The summit/peak sound manager requires web MIDI. It won’t work in safari. There’s a stand-alone version of components also of course.
Oh wow, never knew there was a web-based version of it haha. I just use the Standalone one here. Ill have to check that out now.
M2 Pro Mini, macOS 14, MOTU 828x/Ferrofish Pulse 16, Cubase Pro/MPC
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

After being unable to log in the Waves using Safari, but able to log in with Chrome, I looked more closely and saw that Safari was blocking Waves to prevent the sharing of my info with third parties like doubleclick.com. Perhaps this is the reason for the increasing number of “failures” I’ve been seeing in Safari.

Maybe there is a way to get Safari to work with these sites it doesn’t like, but to sharing fake info. Research for a rainy day.