Fully weighted good MIDI keyboard?

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Fully weighted good MIDI keyboard?

Post by stubbsonic »

HCMarkus wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:26 pm I like aftertouch on a synth-action keyboard. not so much on a piano-action keyboard.
This is a good point. How the key feels when it hits the bottom of its travel is important. If it feels spongy at the bottom, that can be fatiguing-- even psychologically, just because you aren't getting the tactile sensations that make it feel more effortless.

I have disabled aftertouch because so often I get it when I don't want it. I wouldn't miss it. I'd always rather use a wheel, pedal, or B.C. any day.

Off-topic: The Expressive E Osmose does look amazing, but I wonder if I'd ever really get used to playing on it. What I've seen and heard from demos blows my mind.

Back on-topic: The good news is that there are lots of good options that have gotten much less expensive.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I keep asking MOTU for a MIDI Plugin that provides a Lag Processor (AR Envelope) that can be applied to controllers. It would be exceptionally useful for AT, as it would smooth the data stream and allow AT to linger after a key was released. Also good for BC, although the TEControl BC App takes care of this for BC.
Oleg Vostyakov
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Oleg Vostyakov »

Gate 13 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:26 am Hello,
I have had for years a 62 keys M-Audio (very soft keys, not happy at all) and a cheap 88 keys StudioLogic MK88 (semi weighted).

Before my main question (what is a good affordable 88 fully weighted keys) can someone explain to me this:
I have my M-audio keyboard connected through USB to my mac pro, and the 88keys keyboard connected through MIDI OUT to the M-audio MIDI IN port (and to the power outlet).
The problem is that the 88 keys keyboard has a low volume. Does it have to do with the fact that it is not connected directly to the mac? Or it has to do with the keyboard itself?
Thank you!
You can try to find full weight MIDI keyborad on thomann.de
There is a lot of options there!
Halena

Post by Halena »

If the speed of the keyboard is low then you should try a fully weighted good MIDI keyboard
I would like to suggest Yamaha P 125. which is very User-friendly digital piano under $1000.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Halena wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:58 pm If the speed of the keyboard is low then you should try a fully weighted good MIDI keyboard
I would like to suggest Yamaha P 125. which is very User-friendly digital piano under $1000.
Because my place is being rewired ($ ouch!), I now have a receptacle in a previously unused corner of my studio. This allowed me to move some equipment making room to upgrade my 73 key P121 to an 88 key P125 a few days ago. GC has a bunch in stock at the moment but none of the P121 anywhere in the country. So I got a really good price for my trade-in, more than I would have expected on Craigslist and nearly what I paid in March 2020. Except for the number of keys, they're supposed to be identical but it sounds a bit better through the speakers (same as a MIDI controller, of course) and my wife now has those 14 keys that she's been missing.

I wish I'd had the room for it last year but, with my handicap, the extra length would have been a safety hazard so the 73 key filled the need.

Now if I can convince her that we really don't need that Knabe spinet that she's had since she was 8. The P125 plays and sounds better while taking less floor space and can be stored in my studio when not in use the two or three times a year we need two pianos in that room. The Bösendorfer stays, of course.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Lajinka

Post by Lajinka »

This Yamaha YDP143R piano looks, feels and plays like an acoustic grand piano, with many more options. I play it every day and enjoy the gift of music once again. The piano is great and I have enjoyed learning the many aspects of the digital experience.