Windows update broke my system

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
atomheart
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Windows update broke my system

Post by atomheart »

Part of it anyway. My intel i7-3770 based computer shows the Motu driver under devices and Ableton runs through it just fine. But listening to music, either internet streamed or local will not use my interface. It doesn't show up as a choice of devices under sound settings. So I have to use the on board sound card instead. I spent several hours uninstalling and re-installing. I rolled back the last Windows update too because I think that when that self installed a few weeks ago is when the system started acting weird. Every time I went to listen to music there would be no sound. I would go into device manager under sound devices and disable Motu and then enable again and the sound would start. After a while I got tired of this routine and decided to re-install the driver. That's when I saw that there was a new driver release so naturally I installed that one.

Big mistake. No sound. No possibility to choose 828x in settings. Just wasn't there. Even though it does show up under the device manager. Just not in settings. I tried every old driver version available but nothing works. For some reason Microsoft is not supporting this cpu for Windows 11 even though it specs out just fine. :smash:
CharlzS

Re: Windows update broke my system

Post by CharlzS »

Something to try: Uninstall the MOTU drivers in Programs and Features. Then go to the Device Manager and in the View menu select 'Show Hidden Devices'. Expand the 'Sound, Video and Game Controllers' category. If there are any MOTU devices, right click and select the uninstall option. In the next dialog box check 'attempt to remove the driver' box and then uninstall. After this you should have no MOTU devices (active or hidden) showing in the Audio Inputs and Outputs category in the Device Manager. Reinstall the new drivers.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
vonbleak

Post by vonbleak »

I have a 828ES and yeah for me a windows update also broke my setup...

Windows detects the unit in both sound devices and via the thunderbolt connection - i can select it as my windows sounds device... However there is no sound playing back... There is no metering on the Motu and even the input monitoring is not showing on the motu but i can see inputs coming in the motu mixer...

Cubase can kinda 'see' the motu asio driver - but again no playback or metering...

I had a similar issue on W10 for a while and it turned out to be a conflict/error in device manager with a usb device/controller i think... however when i look at device manager in W11 everything is looking fine with no errors/conflicts... It took a re-install of windows 10 to fix the issue and i'd really rather not have to reinstall win11 as i pretty much just did and it was all working great until recently...

I have a feeling the unit will work with USB3 so im not freaking out as on W10 even with the issues with thunderbolt the USB connection worked - however i paid for a thunderbolt pcie card so i would rather use that thanks haha...
atomheart

Post by atomheart »

Sorry for the delay. Multiple whack a moles last week. I have no explanation except that after rolling back a few Windows updates everything worked like it used to. But as you know the a$$j0ll3$ at Microsoft make it impossible to keep your machine from updating. Believe me I've tried all the methods I could find to shut that off for good. The weird thing was that after the updates re-installed it did not break the system again. Did they tweak the update in the meantime? Who knows. Obviously there's no guarantee this will work for anybody else. Far from it. But that computer is being retired from most audio duties as I just took delivery of a new MacBook Pro. So now I have a whole new set of challenges! No, actually I'm not a masochist. Why do you ask?
rp88.2
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by rp88.2 »

Good morning:

My Windows 10 PC just updated with Cumulative Updates Windows 10, version 21H2 and Windows audio is broken as the OP states.

With my Ultalite-mk3 Hybrid, ASIO audio works, however, any stream using Windows audio-- iTunes, etc. fail.

So, this seems to be a a more universal problem. What a pain.

Will try the driver uninstall and reinstall.

RIch
Last edited by rp88.2 on Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
rp88.2

Post by rp88.2 »

So, for my situation: Dell Laptop w/Realtek with a MOTU Ultralite-mk3 Hybrid
  • Uninstalling the MOTU driver
  • Cleaning the registry with ccleaner
  • Rebooting
  • Reinstalling the MOTU driver
  • Rebooting
Fixed the issue. Small victories on a Monday. :)

Rich
rp88.2

Post by rp88.2 »

So, I found a quicker solution for when Windows 10, for whatever reason (update, etc.) breaks Windows Audio. Running the Windows Audio Troubleshooter actually worked. Usually the troubleshooters are worthless, but in this cases it works.

I had another case of Windows Audio (iTunes, streaming from browser) not working, however, ASIO was working fine with the MOTU driver.

I ran the ' Windows Audio Troubleshooter' it reinstalled the Windows driver made some registry updates (assuming) and all is good now.

So, if after an update, Windows Audio stops working, but ASIO is working, I would try the Windows Troubleshooter.