Most realistic strings legato

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
Gate 13
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Most realistic strings legato

Post by Gate 13 »

I just found many in YouTube. I hope they cover in depth the subject!
:)
Mac Pro 2X 2.66 GHz Dual Core Intel Xeon, Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.8, 13GB RAM/ DP 7.24/ Plogue Bidule/SWQL Symphonic Orchestra (Gold),Hollywood Brass(Gold), SWQL RA, SD2, Symphonic Choirs/KONTAKT 4, Cinesamples Hollywoodwinds
bkshepard

Post by bkshepard »

I see that several folks have referred to LASS by Audiobro. That is, indeed, a fantastic library. However, Audiobro has released a successor to LASS called Modern Scoring Strings (MSS). It's a newly recorded library that is CONSIDERABLY easier to get great results with. The programming is outstanding and the company is quite receptive to input from users. The sound is a bit drier than LASS, so you need your own reverb if you want a wet sound, but the natural placements of the instruments, the divisi, and the articulations--including a wide array of legato bowing approaches--are hard to beat. I have both and have pretty much stopped using LASS in lieu of MSS. Check it out on the Audiobro site.
-Brian

Mac M1 Ultra 20-core, OS 14.3.1, 128 GB RAM, DP 11.3.1, UA Apollo x6
Gate 13

Post by Gate 13 »

bkshepard wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:34 pm I see that several folks have referred to LASS by Audiobro. That is, indeed, a fantastic library. However, Audiobro has released a successor to LASS called Modern Scoring Strings (MSS). It's a newly recorded library that is CONSIDERABLY easier to get great results with. The programming is outstanding and the company is quite receptive to input from users. The sound is a bit drier than LASS, so you need your own reverb if you want a wet sound, but the natural placements of the instruments, the divisi, and the articulations--including a wide array of legato bowing approaches--are hard to beat. I have both and have pretty much stopped using LASS in lieu of MSS. Check it out on the Audiobro site.
bkshepard wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:34 pm I see that several folks have referred to LASS by Audiobro. That is, indeed, a fantastic library. However, Audiobro has released a successor to LASS called Modern Scoring Strings (MSS). It's a newly recorded library that is CONSIDERABLY easier to get great results with. The programming is outstanding and the company is quite receptive to input from users. The sound is a bit drier than LASS, so you need your own reverb if you want a wet sound, but the natural placements of the instruments, the divisi, and the articulations--including a wide array of legato bowing approaches--are hard to beat. I have both and have pretty much stopped using LASS in lieu of MSS. Check it out on the Audiobro site.
Thank you!
I will definitely do.
I also heard about Cinestrings and also heard a sample and it sounds pretty awesome...
Mac Pro 2X 2.66 GHz Dual Core Intel Xeon, Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.8, 13GB RAM/ DP 7.24/ Plogue Bidule/SWQL Symphonic Orchestra (Gold),Hollywood Brass(Gold), SWQL RA, SD2, Symphonic Choirs/KONTAKT 4, Cinesamples Hollywoodwinds
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

cuttime wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:29 am
stubbsonic wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:03 am Wow...

https://youtu.be/kkoMrPAXyt0
The amount of work that goes into something like this is not immediately apparent. I think a lot more is going on than just a breath controller. I use pedals, two wheels and lots of automation with SWAM solo strings, and I can't even come close to these examples. A very capable VI for sure, but a LOT of work.
That's for sure.

But, that said, the TEControl gives you four axis control with this: https://www.tecontrol.se/products/usb-m ... ntroller-2

I have mine set up to work with the SWAM Strings as follows:

Breath = Expression. (if you've never tried it, TRY IT!... super intuitive, especially if you've ever played a wind instrument)

Head Side to Side Inclination = Vibrato Speed

Head Front to Back Inclination = Bow Pressure

I'm not using bite at this point. After Touch from my keyboard controller is assigned to Vibrato Depth.

Note that the TEControl BC Controllers include an application that allows the user to adjust sensitivity, range, attack and release per parameter.

I won't claim to be putting together presentations like the linked Audio Modeling demo, and I'm not doing full orchestral mock ups, but I get some very satisfying solo legato performances down in real time using the SWAM Strings with the aforementioned controller. I often blend the SWAM strings with sections recorded with other libraries; combined, I get the fullness of the samples and the articulation of SWAM. Works great for pop and score stuff.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Nice to know.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

HCMarkus wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:02 pm
But, that said, the TEControl gives you four axis control with this: https://www.tecontrol.se/products/usb-m ... ntroller-2
Breath = Expression. (if you've never tried it, TRY IT!... super intuitive, especially if you've ever played a wind instrument)
I love my old TEControl breath controller. As a brass player, it's super-intuitive to control sounds. I think for non-wind players, there would be a short learning curve, but you're right, it really is gratifying.

I've been waiting for more news about an upcoming breath controller product called Photon. I got a direct demo from the developer via zoom, and I almost passed out from how cool it is. I'll hold back for now, until there's more definitive news-- then I'll start a new thread-- (sorry for the slight hijack).
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Right! And while it sounds great to me, is there anyone here who plays real strings who thinks so?
cuttime wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:29 am
stubbsonic wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:03 am Wow...

https://youtu.be/kkoMrPAXyt0
The amount of work that goes into something like this is not immediately apparent. I think a lot more is going on than just a breath controller. I use pedals, two wheels and lots of automation with SWAM solo strings, and I can't even come close to these examples. A very capable VI for sure, but a LOT of work.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Easy answer: VSL. Especially with their latest releases. They have some innovative legato handling that has gone the extra mile during the past year or two, and they have applied their new techniques to older libraries at this point, in the context of the refactoring for the Synchron Stage versions.

Expensive libraries, but on sale frequently and possible to buy incrementally or even via "taster" editions that include a wide collection of instruments. The original libraries have now all been SYNCHRON-ized except for the mid-sized Orchestral Strings, which apparently are fully replaced by the from-scratch Synchron Strings.

The main confusion and dilemma currently is that they have now done a few different string packages newly-recorded for the Synchron series, which is unusual for that company and in some ways seems a reaction to some (in my view unfair) criticisms received for their first Synchron Strings package.

VSL products in general are hyper-articulate and warm (plus dark, as opposed to the tendency towards brightness in many of the American orchestral packages).

The original VSL series, which was about as dry as possible, took a lot of effort to work with, meaning that it wasn't always the best for real-time playing vs. carefully crafted MIDI renderings, but this shortcoming is adequately addressed by the improved usability of the Synchron Series, which also has a dry option still available but otherwise has an excellent internal workflow (and available starting point presets) for mic mixing and EQ etc.

VSL have long been known as being the first vendor to really succeed in delivering True Legato. Other stuff came along in the intervening years that grabbed people's attention, but with the Synchron project they have stepped up to the plate and learned from what the competitors have done. Tie this in with dynamics control, velocity cross-fade, etc., and you now have products that are great for live playing as well as MIDI rendering.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Oleg Vostyakov
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Oleg Vostyakov »

Gate 13 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:44 am Hello folks,
In your opinion what is the best string library especially when it comes to legato realistic passages.
I am not satisfied at all with the East West Gold orchestra...I am not sure if the hollywood strings will be different, but what I have now sounds so synthesized.
When I upgrade my studio to DP 11 and mac miniM1 chips etc I will definitely try the East west comoser cloud but is there any other library that you tink is very realistic?
I have no problem with every other patch (staccato, marcato, tremolo...they all sound great) but the legato sounds...

Thank you.
Hello Gate 13! I'm using LA Scoring Strings. It is not the best of the best, but very simple and understandable to use and sounds amazing!
Gate 13

Post by Gate 13 »

Which one then you think is the best of the best?
randomgrace
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by randomgrace »

I think you should check Metropolis Ark from Orchestral Tools. It's kinda fun to work with it. There're a lot of different realistic articulations. The most realistic I've ever seen actually. It also fun to work with different faders even on my little alesis keyboard so you could make MORE realistic sounds. Oh, also try some libraries from Spitfire Audio, for ex. Albione One is their best product at the moment (well, except Hans Zimmer library :mrgreen: ). So check them out.
Last edited by randomgrace on Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gate 13

Post by Gate 13 »

I have East West and the legato is not realistic at all.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

There's almost a cognitive bias thing you have to be aware of. You can get distracted and even lulled by the "lushness" of the strings-- and because of this you can miss the fact that all the notes are swelling the same way, or the shapes of the phrase are all wrong. It is definitely a shift of perspective, and you almost have to "put on different ears" to notice when it's weird and wrong-- even though the tones are pleasing.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

Gate 13

Post by Gate 13 »

stubbsonic wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:59 am There's almost a cognitive bias thing you have to be aware of. You can get distracted and even lulled by the "lushness" of the strings-- and because of this you can miss the fact that all the notes are swelling the same way, or the shapes of the phrase are all wrong. It is definitely a shift of perspective, and you almost have to "put on different ears" to notice when it's weird and wrong-- even though the tones are pleasing.
Hi Stubbsonic,
Thanks for your input but I am not sure what your point is...
:(
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

You are probably already doing this. Just a general comment that sometimes people can hear these epic demos that sound "full" and "lush" and not notice that shapes of the notes are all the same, all wrong, etc. For people who are checking out demos, it's just a thing to be aware of-- the strings can sound both good, and wrong at the same time.