Most realistic strings legato

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
Gate 13
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Most realistic strings legato

Post by Gate 13 »

Hello folks,
In your opinion what is the best string library especially when it comes to legato realistic passages.
I am not satisfied at all with the East West Gold orchestra...I am not sure if the hollywood strings will be different, but what I have now sounds so synthesized.
When I upgrade my studio to DP 11 and mac miniM1 chips etc I will definitely try the East west comoser cloud but is there any other library that you tink is very realistic?
I have no problem with every other patch (staccato, marcato, tremolo...they all sound great) but the legato sounds...

Thank you.
Mac Pro 2X 2.66 GHz Dual Core Intel Xeon, Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.8, 13GB RAM/ DP 7.24/ Plogue Bidule/SWQL Symphonic Orchestra (Gold),Hollywood Brass(Gold), SWQL RA, SD2, Symphonic Choirs/KONTAKT 4, Cinesamples Hollywoodwinds
HCMarkus

Re: Most realistic strings legato

Post by HCMarkus »

Always the challenge. I like using a breath controller for dynamics, but for legato passages it is all about how the notes connect. And that is a challenge when it comes to sample based instruments. Although the static sound of modeled instrument is often less realistic than sampled, they present superior connectivity. You might like to look into the products from Audio Modeling and Sample Modeling. They are really fun to play!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

This was done using LA Scoring Strings (LASS). I downloaded it in 2010 so it's been around a long time. It was the first string VI demo that I really liked. Unfortunately, it's less than 3 minutes—can't find a link to the full length version that I have.

https://soundcloud.com/iain-hemstock/la ... uel-barber

If I was doing something that lush, I'd be tempted to pay the $399. They have so many versions, nowadays, so it's hard to tell what I might like..

https://www.audiobro.com/ab-store/
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Gate 13

Post by Gate 13 »

HCMarkus wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:02 am Always the challenge. I like using a breath controller for dynamics, but for legato passages it is all about how the notes connect. And that is a challenge when it comes to sample based instruments. Although the static sound of modeled instrument is often less realistic than sampled, they present superior connectivity. You might like to look into the products from Audio Modeling and Sample Modeling. They are really fun to play!
Hi HCMarkus,
Thank you. What do you mean by "it is all about how the notes connect". I am a pianist and I know well how to play smoothly connected notes but strings sound horrible...Is there a specific technique or something you need to do? Does it only have to do with the recorded sound of the library since I am playing a true legato??
Mac Pro 2X 2.66 GHz Dual Core Intel Xeon, Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.8, 13GB RAM/ DP 7.24/ Plogue Bidule/SWQL Symphonic Orchestra (Gold),Hollywood Brass(Gold), SWQL RA, SD2, Symphonic Choirs/KONTAKT 4, Cinesamples Hollywoodwinds
Gate 13

Post by Gate 13 »

mikehalloran wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:54 am This was done using LA Scoring Strings (LASS). I downloaded it in 2010 so it's been around a long time. It was the first string VI demo that I really liked. Unfortunately, it's less than 3 minutes—can't find a link to the full length version that I have.

https://soundcloud.com/iain-hemstock/la ... uel-barber

If I was doing something that lush, I'd be tempted to pay the $399. They have so many versions, nowadays, so it's hard to tell what I might like..

https://www.audiobro.com/ab-store/
Hello,
Thank you.
I wish there was a sample where it shows fast legato strings. I am not sure how although sampled (real) sounds they sound so unrealistic. I find no explanation...
:(
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I think part of the issue is release times. If you play a note and let go, you don't want the note to chop off too quickly. But if you play a legato passage you really need to transition between pitches with little or no overlap. So you need legato-aware release times. Of course, there are other factors that go into realistic legato (like portamento, etc.). It's not just strings, many virtual instruments show some weakness in this area.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

The difference is… you are playing a keyboard, not a cello or violin. No sliding from note to note. No bow. None of the subtle elements of a real instrument, ever changing and specific to the instrument. Your keyboard technique may be fantastic, but you’re still playing a keyboard.

Samples are great for recreating a single notes. But how that note is connected to the next is what makes legato sound like legato. Programming a sampler to do this realistically… not an easy task. That’s what I love about the modeled strings. They play like an instrument, not like a picture of one.
Gate 13

Post by Gate 13 »

HCMarkus wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:42 pm The difference is… you are playing a keyboard, not a cello or violin. No sliding from note to note. No bow. None of the subtle elements of a real instrument, ever changing and specific to the instrument. Your keyboard technique may be fantastic, but you’re still playing a keyboard.

Samples are great for recreating a single notes. But how that note is connected to the next is what makes legato sound like legato. Programming a sampler to do this realistically… not an easy task. That’s what I love about the modeled strings. They play like an instrument, not like a picture of one.
Thank you! What do yo mean by "modeled strings"?
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Here are the current demos for LASS:

https://www.audiobro.com/demos/music/
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

cuttime

Post by cuttime »

stubbsonic wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:03 am Wow...

https://youtu.be/kkoMrPAXyt0
The amount of work that goes into something like this is not immediately apparent. I think a lot more is going on than just a breath controller. I use pedals, two wheels and lots of automation with SWAM solo strings, and I can't even come close to these examples. A very capable VI for sure, but a LOT of work.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Gate 13

Post by Gate 13 »

cuttime wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:29 am
stubbsonic wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:03 am Wow...

https://youtu.be/kkoMrPAXyt0
The amount of work that goes into something like this is not immediately apparent. I think a lot more is going on than just a breath controller. I use pedals, two wheels and lots of automation with SWAM solo strings, and I can't even come close to these examples. A very capable VI for sure, but a LOT of work.
This is exactly my point. If there is no library that can give you realistic sounds for the strings and you have to go through so much work, then why to spend a whole bunch of dollars in a new library.
And also, I wish someone was showing in YouTube or in this forum what kind of "work" it needs, and how they tweak the sliders for the volume? expression? etc?
It seems so much work and complicated work to go through this. I wish there was one library that could give you this sound without having to do all this...
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

The amount of work going into those is not surprising. It would be MORE surprising if those results were achieved with AI, etc.

I guess we should all expect that if you want very realistic/satisfying results, then there will be more up-front work on getting the right performance and then editing to get the desired result. And that would/should be the case with any library.

That said, there is quite a bit a library designer can do to reduce the artificial sound of various aspects of the VI.

Gate 13

Post by Gate 13 »

stubbsonic wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:17 pm The amount of work going into those is not surprising. It would be MORE surprising if those results were achieved with AI, etc.

I guess we should all expect that if you want very realistic/satisfying results, then there will be more up-front work on getting the right performance and then editing to get the desired result. And that would/should be the case with any library.

That said, there is quite a bit a library designer can do to reduce the artificial sound of various aspects of the VI.
Is there any youtube video or anything in this forum that is worth reading it to learn how to do this?
I will do my research now, too!
Thank you so much for your time though!