Monterey, iOS 15 USB Hub issues

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Monterey, iOS 15 USB Hub issues

Post by mikehalloran »

It is possible that, after installing Monterey or iPadOS 15.02 or later, your USB hub may stop working.

https://www.cultofmac.com/757256/usb-co ... newsletter

iPadOS is not mentioned but there are plenty of complaints. I haven't tested my UGREEN yet but it's on the list of today's tasks.

For now, the only sure fix is an Apple Certified hub. A quick search shows that Belkin is a good bet since their products are often sold by Apple. Otherwise, I would buy through Amazon so that I could return what doesn't work.

Or, as the article suggests, follow the issue and see what Apple does.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Killahurts

Re: Monterey, iOS 15 USB Hub issues

Post by Killahurts »

Wow, thanks for this info!

I have a rather complex USB system in my studio. My Mac Pro is in a machine room, with three USB 2.0 over CAT6 extension systems to distribute USB to multiple rooms. I have 4k video extensions as well.

I was planning to finally update to Big Sur from Catalina, where I am now, but I still don't know what all it will break. I really need the newer OS for my video work, to be able to update FCP, etc. If I go to the system update, it now only shows Monterey. Without my USB extenders, I would be out of business, so I can't upgrade to that.

I'm two OS's behind now. Thanks Apple. I'm sure things would be much better if I would just give in and use Logic exclusively, instead of DP and Pro Tools.. but I don't think I'm completely understanding that DAW and its approach to music making..
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Yes, Thank You Mike!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Killahurts wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:45 am Wow, thanks for this info!

I have a rather complex USB system in my studio. My Mac Pro is in a machine room, with three USB 2.0 over CAT6 extension systems to distribute USB to multiple rooms. I have 4k video extensions as well.

I was planning to finally update to Big Sur from Catalina, where I am now, but I still don't know what all it will break. I really need the newer OS for my video work, to be able to update FCP, etc. If I go to the system update, it now only shows Monterey. Without my USB extenders, I would be out of business, so I can't upgrade to that.

I'm two OS's behind now. Thanks Apple. I'm sure things would be much better if I would just give in and use Logic exclusively, instead of DP and Pro Tools.. but I don't think I'm completely understanding that DAW and its approach to music making..
It's just a heads up in the if your USB hub stops working, get a newer one that does instead of spending gobs of time chasing your tail on diagnostics.

You wouldn't believe the loads of armchair expert crap I've read on the forums where someone posted a problem. I was so glad to see this article so I could just post, Get a hub that works; read this: and post the link.

The Anker hub I bought a couple years ago worked fine after my MacOS upgrade but I was ready to buy something else if it didn't. I have another hub that I use with my iPad Pro that I need to test—if it works over Monterey, then it should also work if I buy a USB-C iPad Pro (next year, perhaps?).
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

mikehalloran wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:29 am if your USB hub stops working, get a newer one that does instead of spending gobs of time chasing your tail on diagnostics.
Of course.. but in my case I would likely have to get substantially more than a newer one that does. If just my extenders stopped working, that's over a thousand bucks, IF I could find new ones that work.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
rc31

Post by rc31 »

Oh my god my MIDI Express XT has not been working properly at all and I've been scouring the internet for a solution. I just found this thread and decided to plug it in directly and not through my USB hub and it works perfectly! Thank you for the info!!