Yuja Wang in your living room.

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
cuttime
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Yuja Wang in your living room.

Post by cuttime »

I'll get one of these after i get my new MacBook pro.

https://gizmodo.com/steinways-self-play ... nt=gizmodo
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
stubbsonic

Re: Yuja Wang in your living room.

Post by stubbsonic »

This kind of technology has existed for a long time, but they are bringing it forward and integrating it with the live-stream concept.

There was a Yamaha upright piano where I worked that had MIDI enabled player-piano functionality. Transmitting a stream of MIDI events over the internet is requires pretty little bandwidth.

If you got rid of the piano and just had the MIDI stream coming into a laptop with PIanoteq or some other nice VI piano, you'd get a nice sound experience-- and in some ways it would be cool because you could choose YOUR favorite piano and reverb, etc. You could even take some performance by some amazing virtuoso and have it trigger some fart samples.

Years ago our city's airport had a grand-player-piano playing seemingly non-stop on one of the concourses. I wonder how much maintenance that piano required.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
frankf

Post by frankf »

Both the Yamaha Disklavier and this Steinway are still being sold and both are real pianos with recording and playback capabilities and the streaming possibilities. The maintenance is equal to that needed for a piano plus the recording and playback mechanisms. My piano tuner/technician back in the day used to service the Disklavier for Yamaha and told me service could be a lot of work. That was almost 30 years ago however.

Player pianos with the piano rolls were a hit with families and at parties in the pre record era. My aunt had one she inherited from my grandmother. They brought the joy of music to many homes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I was wondering about that airport piano's service needs only because I was thinking it played 24/7, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

I can only imagine that player mechanism would be a massive job to repair/maintain.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

frankf wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:41 pm Both the Yamaha Disklavier and this Steinway are still being sold and both are real pianos with recording and playback capabilities and the streaming possibilities. The maintenance is equal to that needed for a piano plus the recording and playback mechanisms. My piano tuner/technician back in the day used to service the Disklavier for Yamaha and told me service could be a lot of work. That was almost 30 years ago however.

Player pianos with the piano rolls were a hit with families and at parties in the pre record era. My aunt had one she inherited from my grandmother. They brought the joy of music to many homes!
Yamaha now owns Bösendorfer and will install the Disklavier if you got the money, Honey.
https://www.boesendorfer.com/en/pianos/ ... er-edition
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
ed belknap

Post by ed belknap »

Thread title is misleading! :wink:
frankf

Post by frankf »

Although I can see the advantage in certain circumstances I’m not a big fan of “ player pianos “ of any kind. Whenever I see and hear a human playing in a public space I stop to listen and watch. Watching keys fly up and down on their own is exciting for a minute. Watching someone apply their craft and make music is another thing altogether. Knowing a musician is getting paid to play! Yes to that too.
If you haven’t guessed, I’m a piano player who’s had many solo piano gigs in my time. :) Happy new year to all!

Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

frankf wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:16 am Although I can see the advantage in certain circumstances I’m not a big fan of “ player pianos “ of any kind. Whenever I see and hear a human playing in a public space I stop to listen and watch. Watching keys fly up and down on their own is exciting for a minute. Watching someone apply their craft and make music is another thing altogether. Knowing a musician is getting paid to play! Yes to that too.
If you haven’t guessed, I’m a piano player who’s had many solo piano gigs in my time. :) Happy new year to all!

+ Infinity... on all counts, including the New Year's wishes!

One comment: I would not mind having a Disclavier in my studio.