Finding the Right Monitor

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

Rick Cornish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Finding the Right Monitor

Post by Rick Cornish »

It's long-past time for me to replace my old Cinema Display with something better. I've settled on the following criteria:
  • A 32" screen will "just* fit in my setup
  • For running DP11 and Avid MediaComposer, I'm pretty sure I want 4k resolution (even though I don't cut video at 4k, I want the clarity)
  • I want a monitor that has speakers (which I use only for system alerts, so they don't have to be great sounding)
  • USB ports would be nice, but aren't a deal-breaker
  • Even though I cut video, I don't need a calibrated screen
  • Finding a good price would also be a plus, though the prices I've found all seem reasonable
Questions for the group…
  • The screens I've found thus far that meet my criteria are both curved displays. I've never worked on one of those, so I'd be interested to know the plusses and minuses of that.
  • All the monitors I've looked at have HDMI input, some have Display Port as well… which would be better to use? (My 2013 Mac Pro has both)
Here are two I've found thus far that seem to fill the bill:
Dell
Phillips

Any other suggestions/comments welcome. Thanks!
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
HCMarkus

Re: Finding the Right Monitor

Post by HCMarkus »

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-U32R590- ... 95697&th=1

This Samsung one is on sale at Costco.com for $330 starting Nov 1. Just another data point to consider, I have-not used one.
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

HCMarkus wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:42 pm https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-U32R590- ... 95697&th=1

This Samsung one is on sale at Costco.com for $330 starting Nov 1. Just another data point to consider, I have-not used one.
Thanks, HCMarkus. I like the Samsung, though it doesn't have speakers. Might have to consider it, though.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

COVID completely dried up the market for bargain 4K monitors ($200–$300) which were 2 yrs old or older being marked down to clear the way for newer, better. All those people suddenly working from home and the cupboards are bare.

Adapters and cables for Display Port and HDMI to MDP (your Thunderbolt ports) are inexpensive. Unless you are an advanced gamer, the protocol doesn't matter with 4K no matter what the marketing departments want you to believe. You can plug in up to 6.

Except for TB monitors (5k, 6k,8k) HDMI is fine. USB ports only give you another hub. They should be active through HDMI, if not, use an MDP adapter and plug into one of your TB ports.

Lots of great monitors out there and yes, you do want 4K — there's a noticeable difference between those and 2K. I can see the difference between 4K and 5K because I've a pair of 4Ks flanking my iMac Pro but it's not all that noticeable.

Since you are looking to have one only, the stand base doesn't make much of a difference — if you do multiple monitors… (let's just say that I returned a pair of LGs with those long, curved bases because they hung over the edge of my desk). Many but not all bases are height adjustable. You want height adjustable if possible.

Except for height adjustable and a USB hub, this 32" flat screen appears to meet all your requirements @ $349 and if you sign up, they'll give you 10% off.

https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-32ul5 ... hd-monitor

This is pretty much the same one but the stand is height-adjustable. It's out of stock at LG @ $379.99. In stock @ $377 at Amacon

https://www.amazon.com/LG-32UN550-W-Fre ... B08MV7B7WF

Since you're replacing an old Cinema display, in one sense, it doesn't matter too much what you get. The savings on your electric bill will pay for a new monitor pretty quickly.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

mikehalloran wrote:COVID completely dried up the market for bargain 4K monitors ($200–$300) which were 2 yrs old or older being marked down to clear the way for newer, better. All those people suddenly working from home and the cupboards are bare.

Adapters and cables for Display Port and HDMI to MDP (your Thunderbolt ports) are inexpensive. Unless you are an advanced gamer, the protocol doesn't matter with 4K no matter what the marketing departments want you to believe. You can plug in up to 6.

Except for TB monitors (5k, 6k,8k) HDMI is fine. USB ports only give you another hub. They should be active through HDMI, if not, use an MDP adapter and plug into one of your TB ports.

Lots of great monitors out there and yes, you do want 4K — there's a noticeable difference between those and 2K. I can see the difference between 4K and 5K because I've a pair of 4Ks flanking my iMac Pro but it's not all that noticeable.

Since you are looking to have one only, the stand base doesn't make much of a difference — if you do multiple monitors… (let's just say that I returned a pair of LGs with those long, curved bases because they hung over the edge of my desk). Many but not all bases are height adjustable. You want height adjustable if possible.

Except for height adjustable and a USB hub, this 32" flat screen appears to meet all your requirements @ $349 and if you sign up, they'll give you 10% off.

https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-32ul5 ... hd-monitor

This is pretty much the same one but the stand is height-adjustable. It's out of stock at LG @ $379.99. In stock @ $377 at Amacon

https://www.amazon.com/LG-32UN550-W-Fre ... B08MV7B7WF

Since you're replacing an old Cinema display, in one sense, it doesn't matter too much what you get. The savings on your electric bill will pay for a new monitor pretty quickly.

Mike—as always—thank you! I appreciate your insight into what’s going on in the market and what tech is appropriate for what I need.

The LG you found looks great and so does the price. Based on your experience, I’ll need to do some measuring tomorrow to see if that wide stand base will fit around everything else that’s on my desk. If I can’t find a way to fit it in, I may have to go with the Philips.

I just realized I’ll also need to track down a webcam, as I’ve been using the built-in iSight camera in the Cinema Display. (I know—talk about dinosaurs!)

Thanks again for taking the time to reply on this. I always value your input.

Cheers…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rick Cornish

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

There are plenty of sub $100 4K web cams out there. Very easy to set up. Caution: some are promising framing and auto-focus, those functions are handled by 3rd party apps, not the MacOS.

https://www.bestreviews.guide/mac-webcam

I have the Brio and my users tell me the sound is very good but only slightly better than the mics in my iMac Pro so I stopped using it. The Logitech app was just too twitchy for me when I tried to control frame size—it may be better now. I never returned it and should give it another chance to see if Logitech improved the app. I was saving it for my wife to use in her classroom but that need went away.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5 ... UTF8&psc=1

I bought this for one of my users so I see it weekly over Zoom calls where you don't really need much more. Outstandingly not bad for $20 or $16 renewed (whatever that means). The little tripod that comes with it is useless.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08SB ... =UTF8&th=1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Thanks again, Mike. I ended up ordering this one. With coupons and discounts, I got it for under $30.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0994GNNPC/ ... UTF8&psc=1

BTW: I’m planning on ordering the LG monitor with the adjustable stand. Thanks again for suggesting it!

Rick Cornish

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Rick Cornish wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:58 pm Thanks again, Mike. I ended up ordering this one. With coupons and discounts, I got it for under $30.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0994GNNPC/ ... UTF8&psc=1

BTW: I’m planning on ordering the LG monitor with the adjustable stand. Thanks again for suggesting it!

That light reminds me of an old style slide projector. Let us know how it and the monitor work for you.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote:https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-U32R590- ... 95697&th=1

Wow! Perfect timing. Since I got the new graphics card, I’ve been wanting to upgrade from my one 30” Cinema Display. This looks like just the ticket and I’m a Costco member also!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

How do you know it’s going on sale? It’s probably in that mailer that came the other day that I tossed in the recycling. Time to go digging! I found it on their site at the old price but the pic they have of it shows it’s in a white case which is probably no-go for me.

https://www.costco.com/samsung-32%22-cl ... 12595.html
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mothra

Post by mothra »

Its a 28" but the one I got last year to go with my new Mac mini is still under $300 at Best Buy (think this is a 'deal' it's normally $380).
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-ur ... Id=6386391

I think when I bought it, it was on sale for $269 or something last July. The funny part is, I tried getting a ViewSonic monitor because Ive used those for years, Best Buy had none in the store so I grabbed the Samsung. Fast forward six months later, now I work for ViewSonic and it turns out the office is actually right across the street from that Best Buy..

A word of warning about 4K resolution though.. It looks NICE, believe me, but not so nice when you realize you have to sit about 2-3" away from your screen just to read your desktop icons. I can fit sooooooo much Logic Pro info on one screen now, but its impossible to read anything on screen unless you're sitting with your face on top of it. Scaled to 2K is the perfect balance of screen real estate and text size though for me, but then you run into the conversion from 4K to 2K not being an even split so it tends to make the GPU work harder. A 5K scaled to 2K should be perfect (my Mac is actually upscaling my monitor to 5K before scaling it back down hence the GPU hit), a 4K needs to scale to lowly 1080p to keep it smooth and liquidy.

For the inputs, Im just using DisplayPort (with a USB-C to DP cable) because I can finally. Was using the built in HDMI at first, but with the Intel GPUs you only get 30Hz at 4K so I figured go with DP because its got more bandwidth. This monitor replaced a 32" 1080 Samsung TV which only had HDMI so might as well use the fancy DP input now that I have one.
M2 Pro Mini, macOS 14, MOTU 828x/Ferrofish Pulse 16, Cubase Pro/MPC
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

mothra wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:15 am Its a 28" but the one I got last year to go with my new Mac mini is still under $300 at Best Buy (think this is a 'deal' it's normally $380).
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-ur ... Id=6386391

I think when I bought it, it was on sale for $269 or something last July. The funny part is, I tried getting a ViewSonic monitor because Ive used those for years, Best Buy had none in the store so I grabbed the Samsung. Fast forward six months later, now I work for ViewSonic and it turns out the office is actually right across the street from that Best Buy..

A word of warning about 4K resolution though.. It looks NICE, believe me, but not so nice when you realize you have to sit about 2-3" away from your screen just to read your desktop icons. I can fit sooooooo much Logic Pro info on one screen now, but its impossible to read anything on screen unless you're sitting with your face on top of it. Scaled to 2K is the perfect balance of screen real estate and text size though for me, but then you run into the conversion from 4K to 2K not being an even split so it tends to make the GPU work harder. A 5K scaled to 2K should be perfect (my Mac is actually upscaling my monitor to 5K before scaling it back down hence the GPU hit), a 4K needs to scale to lowly 1080p to keep it smooth and liquidy.

For the inputs, Im just using DisplayPort (with a USB-C to DP cable) because I can finally. Was using the built in HDMI at first, but with the Intel GPUs you only get 30Hz at 4K so I figured go with DP because its got more bandwidth. This monitor replaced a 32" 1080 Samsung TV which only had HDMI so might as well use the fancy DP input now that I have one.
Selecting any other Color Profile than the default should make the GPU hit go away. There are a few old threads on this. The Default is 10 bit and if you don’t need that, why use the resources?

My eyes are too old to view 4K and 5K monitors at full resolution. They still look nicer when reduced than older 2K or 1080, IMO.
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

mikehalloran wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:22 am
mothra wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:15 am For the inputs, Im just using DisplayPort (with a USB-C to DP cable) because I can finally. Was using the built in HDMI at first, but with the Intel GPUs you only get 30Hz at 4K so I figured go with DP because its got more bandwidth. This monitor replaced a 32" 1080 Samsung TV which only had HDMI so might as well use the fancy DP input now that I have one.
Selecting any other Color Profile than the default should make the GPU hit go away. There are a few old threads on this. The Default is 10 bit and if you don’t need that, why use the resources?

My eyes are too old to view 4K and 5K monitors at full resolution. They still look nicer when reduced than older 2K or 1080, IMO.
This is good info. Thanks, gents!
Rick Cornish

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

If you search Color Profile, you'll find the old threads but here are the instructions:

Go to System Preferences/Displays/Color and uncheck Show profiles for this display only. Select any other Color Profile than the Default.

This has been an issue since El Capitán; everything to do with the 10 bit default color profile. DP is not the only app affected.

You will likely see a slight color shift when you do this but it's certainly not an issue for DP, Finale or any of the apps where most users will notice this. If you are doing work that requires critical color balance, you are using monitors and GPUs where this issue does not apply and 10 bit is the right profile.
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

mikehalloran wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:34 am If you search Color Profile, you'll find the old threads but here are the instructions:

Go to System Preferences/Displays/Color and uncheck Show profiles for this display only. Select any other Color Profile than the Default.

This has been an issue since El Capitán; everything to do with the 10 bit default color profile. DP is not the only app affected.

You will likely see a slight color shift when you do this but it's certainly not an issue for DP, Finale or any of the apps where most users will notice this. If you are doing work that requires critical color balance, you are using monitors and GPUs where this issue does not apply and 10 bit is the right profile.
Excellent. My new screen will be here Wednesday and this will be the first thing I look at.

Mike—do you agree that Display Port will provide greater bandwidth (faster refresh rates) than HDMI on an Intel box like mine?
Rick Cornish