MOTU customer service is BAD!

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MOTU customer service is BAD!

Post by stubbsonic »

Yea, as much as you want to keep repeating yourself (which I take as a sign that you are still pretty miffed), you have not convinced me that MOTU is a bad company. But you have convinced me that you are miffed.

It's interesting that the other four units didn't do the same or similar.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
SmartDoc48
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by SmartDoc48 »

bayswater wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:14 pm I suppose someone should have asked you if your had updated the firmware. It’s a fairly basic step to take early in troubleshooting. I hope you have better success with whoever you buy from in the future.

As for the suggestion that I shouldn’t buy from motu because of your experience, I’d note that the motu hardware I have is very old and the second most reliable stuff I’ve ever had after an original K2000. And when I had one issue they gave me the option of swapping it for a refurbished unit for peanuts. The problem went away and that was the end of that.

It makes no more sense for me the avoid motu because of your experience than for you to continue to buy from them because of my experience.

The analogy to cars is interesting. Here, to sell a car you have to supply parts for 11 years. You don’t have to repair them. That was ok when cars generally turned into rusted out death traps within 5 years but meaningless now.
Several observations here: 1. The display was so dim, I could not read anything. So how was I supposed to know what it said? After several attempts to restart and having to hold it at a right angle finally I was able to read that it said. So in my defense, I could not read what it said!! Secondly, how come Motu tech support did not think about that? 3. Finally some one here said I should check the battery. Question: Does it have a battery for set up memory storage? If so, I can't find the battery when I opened the device. I also discovered it is 10 years old (I have 5 of these!). Where is the battery? If there is one?
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Don't know if it has a battery or not.

Only asked 'cause the behaviour kinda reminded me of situations I've seen in the past WRT MOTU's MIDI interfaces.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

SmartDoc48 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:34 am
bayswater wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:14 pm I suppose someone should have asked you if your had updated the firmware. It’s a fairly basic step to take early in troubleshooting. I hope you have better success with whoever you buy from in the future.

As for the suggestion that I shouldn’t buy from motu because of your experience, I’d note that the motu hardware I have is very old and the second most reliable stuff I’ve ever had after an original K2000. And when I had one issue they gave me the option of swapping it for a refurbished unit for peanuts. The problem went away and that was the end of that.

It makes no more sense for me the avoid motu because of your experience than for you to continue to buy from them because of my experience.

The analogy to cars is interesting. Here, to sell a car you have to supply parts for 11 years. You don’t have to repair them. That was ok when cars generally turned into rusted out death traps within 5 years but meaningless now.
Several observations here: 1. The display was so dim, I could not read anything. So how was I supposed to know what it said? After several attempts to restart and having to hold it at a right angle finally I was able to read that it said. So in my defense, I could not read what it said!! Secondly, how come Motu tech support did not think about that? 3. Finally some one here said I should check the battery. Question: Does it have a battery for set up memory storage? If so, I can't find the battery when I opened the device. I also discovered it is 10 years old (I have 5 of these!). Where is the battery? If there is one?
At last, you’ve told us what the problem is.

This is a backlight issue and is well known. The display itself does not light up but depends on lights behind it and you’ve described the typical symptoms. Sometimes, it’s the bulb array; other times it’s the power supply. Sometimes the displays can go bad but if you can see it by shining a light, should be the backlight only.

Many threads here and on Gearspace (fka Gearslutz) about this. Best to use Google instead of this board or Gearspace’s search. Use 896 and 828 to find these threads — I don’t know it’s different for the mk3 builds. There are also YouTube videos. If handy with tools, it’s easy to diagnose and cheap to repair. Any needed parts can be found at any large electronics house such as Mouser (shipping will probably be the biggest expense). Any tech can do it but you’ll want to point him/her in the right direction by looking it up first.

Older MOTU MIDI units do have CR2032 keep-alive batteries but none current and no MOTU audio interfaces that I know of—certainly not any version of the 896.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Tonsil

Post by Tonsil »

I just wanted to chime in because I completely agree with the OP. I recently had my MOTU 24Ai die after three years. When I contacted MOTU, there was absolutely nothing they could do for me because the unit was out of warranty. This is what they told me:
Unfortunately, we're unable to replace or repair this unit through MOTU since it's out of the warranty.
I asked about trying to repair it, even at cost. No dice. So here I am, stuck with a $1,000 interface that gave up the ghost after only 3 years, and they won't do anything about it. No recommendation on getting it serviced, no offer for help with a replacement.

I don't expect a company to run itself into the ground trying to accommodate their users. They need to turn a profit. But when the product they sell is unreliable while selling at a premium, I expect them to care enough about their image to try to do something. MOTU does not stand behind their product. Their quality is not what it used to be. I ordered a replacement interface - it's not from MOTU.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I had an issue with my RME interface (Fireface 800) which is an older firewire interface. It required a new power supply, which I was able to buy and install myself from RME's U.S. distributer. Back in action. Then a few weeks ago, suddenly my MBP stopped recognizing the interface. That turned out to be a failed adapter from Apple. I bought a new one and everything works like new. I asked the RME rep if I could use this firewire interface on the new MBP's with the M1 chip. He said, "Sure! You just need the TB-to-USB-C adapter and you're good to go."

Contrasting that with my very less than smooth ride with the MOTU M4 I bought before the power-supply repair.

I've been thinking how great RME has been with their continually improved drivers and excellent support.

Apart from that power-supply thing, I don't know how RME is with repairs, but the other stuff is really great.

I'm not saying this to pile on with the MOTU bash-fest. Just saying, I'm super happy with RME.

(Now, I need to look out my window and see if my neighborhood is on fire yet.) :shock:
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

stubbsonic wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:31 pm I'm not saying this to pile on with the MOTU bash-fest. Just saying, I'm super happy with RME.
I'm a fan of RME, but you definitely pay for it up front. Comparative interfaces are almost twice as expensive with RME.
I have the FF800, and I went with the Babyface Pro recently, but it was a choice mainly made thinking it's probably better to let comparable ADAT specs talk to each other. I still have a slight issue with the Babyface getting confused and coming up with 32K? at a default instead of 48K? but it's probably due to all the ways that might happen having the FF800 still hooked up to the Mac Pro, making it a slave of the BF etc.

Point was for the same price you get this from MOTU https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... -interface It's a world of difference really. That will easily be double the price from RME, sure it might last longer, but more than likely if you're lucky you can find a local repair guy who will work on the MOTU device etc. I'm sure most of the time with MOTU hardware it's not the chips that are bad, and everything else is not proprietary, i.e. some repair guy can fix it.

Just saying I love RME (OK, I wish their Total Mix wasn't designed by nerds for nerds), but MOTU are about half as expensive, easily the best of the "prosumer" line.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Bear with me, this is on topic. I have this 1990 Caravan panel van with nearly 300k on it. Anyway, it’s in good shape and we keep it going.

Every 60K miles, a check engine light comes on that requires a special tool to turn off. Although California told Chrysler to stop making cars that did that in the early’90s, they never retrofitted the ones that did. No one makes a scan tool that can turn off that light anymore and no Dodge dealer has one. If it wasn’t for a Goodyear store I managed in between gigs decades ago, I’d have no idea how to get that light out when I need to get it smogged. To add insult, they charge me to tell the technician how to use that ancient thing.

So, should I rant, rail and scream on the internet about Chrysler, the State, tool companies or should I just drive it when I need something hauled and fix it when it breaks?

Old equipment breaks, wears out, parts become a problem and one must decide to deal with it or move on.

BTW, if anyone needs a new pinch roller for a FOSTEX cassette 4-track, I have four. Took me a year to figure out the correct one but I had to buy five from China to get the one that my R26 needs.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

In defense of the gripers, if I bought an interface and it broke without giving me a satisfying number of years of service I would be miffed. And it is also understandably frustrating that there isn't an effective path to repair.

For example, MOTU, with a product release could stock a sufficient number of parts/boards so they could at least provide some service to a point-- charging for it to defray some costs-- or partnering with another company to do that work. Then, at some point, they could say, we've exhausted our spare parts, so we can no longer offer service for this interface, if our service partner cannot repair the interface, we can refer you to some other 3rd party servicing companies.

Their protecting their designs is no small matter, though. And they are entitled to do so.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I can see both sides of the issue. I know a really excellent tech who can make component level repairs, reads schematics and has actually repaired many things that your casual "repair shops" have passed on. A lot of what passes for repair today is simply board swaps. I'm finding fewer and fewer people have the skills and fewer of those apply those skills to musical instruments because it doesn't always pay that great. This is why I rent a car and drive six hours to visit friends in AZ, and also drop off gear to him including my Marshall heads which he modded. He's found problems and diagnosed things nobody in my home town has regarding my amplifiers.

Bottom line is I'll see if he can find schematics on MOTU devices and see if he's interested in becoming a point guy for these sorts of repairs. It's a niche, but it might be worth his while. I think he can burn chips too so maybe he can make a supply of chips for the old MTPs as well. I'd of course call a contact at MOTU and just make sure they wouldn't have a problem with it as I'm sure whatever is on the chips is copyrighted and I'd want their blessing. I'm hoping they wouldn't have a problem with it since they chose to quit offering those and we could come to an arrangement.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

That's a fantastic idea. There was a great tech in our area-- who serviced both analog and digital equipment. Super nice, too.

Last I heard, he got a gig working for the govt. Our loss.

Hopefully your shop is up for the idea. That could be win-win-- I could imagine he'd always have more work than he needs!

It would also be cool if a small crew could be trained to do this kind of work-- and deploy for some biggie (like Sweetwater).

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

stubbsonic wrote:Hopefully your shop is up for the idea. That could be win-win-- I could imagine he'd always have more work than he needs!
Not even a shop. Just a really talented guy works out of his apartment. I literally drop stuff off in his living room. Lol :-)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

James Steele wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:16 pm Not even a shop. Just a really talented guy works out of his apartment. I literally drop stuff off in his living room. Lol :-)
Wow! Cool!!

monkey man

Post by monkey man »

James Steele wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:34 pmBottom line is I'll see if he can find schematics on MOTU devices and see if he's interested in becoming a point guy for these sorts of repairs. It's a niche, but it might be worth his while. I think he can burn chips too so maybe he can make a supply of chips for the old MTPs as well. I'd of course call a contact at MOTU and just make sure they wouldn't have a problem with it as I'm sure whatever is on the chips is copyrighted and I'd want their blessing. I'm hoping they wouldn't have a problem with it since they chose to quit offering those and we could come to an arrangement.
What a star you are, Jimbo. :love:

Great idea, and thank you!

Oh, and happy new year mate.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

James Steele wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:16 pm
stubbsonic wrote:Hopefully your shop is up for the idea. That could be win-win-- I could imagine he'd always have more work than he needs!
Not even a shop. Just a really talented guy works out of his apartment. I literally drop stuff off in his living room. Lol :-)
That’s my Memorymoog tech! I lucked out completely, he takes his time but charges nothing really. I feel really blessed that way.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.