MOTU customer service is BAD!

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MOTU customer service is BAD!

Post by Phil O »

Availability of schematics is really important. I know from experience that working on something without schematics is hit or miss. If you get it fixed it's usually because you got lucky and it was something simple or obvious. One of my summer jobs back in my college days was in a TV repair shop. Sam's Photofact Library was king. Just look up the Radio or TV model number and there was a schematic for just about everything made - complete with pictures of part locations. Nowadays you're lucky to find a part number on a device. Then there's surface mount technology. That's another can of worms :?

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

James Steele wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:16 pm
stubbsonic wrote:Hopefully your shop is up for the idea. That could be win-win-- I could imagine he'd always have more work than he needs!
Not even a shop. Just a really talented guy works out of his apartment. I literally drop stuff off in his living room. Lol :-)
Same here. I know someone who works out of his basement, has schematics, and will make an attempt at whatever you take to him. There’s also a large outfit that rents equipment for stage productions and movie sets, and has it’s own repair shop that will work on equipment you take to them, and a music store chain that does similar work. And a company that hunts down parts for anything. No doubt such places exist in most cities.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

It seems like these kinds of "rare find" techs should have as much work as they would ever want. I also think they should make a GREAT living doing what they do.

If I had a device that I wanted to try to rescue from the e-scrap-heap, I'd like to be able to ask:

A. How much will it cost for you to open it up and take a reasonable guess as to what it would cost to fix it (like a low/high range).

B. What's your reasonable guess on the odds of success within that range?

That way I can decide if it's worth the cost/risk to try. Of course, now that I'm older and perhaps wiser (?) my expectations are more realistic, and few things are cut & dry.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com