Looking for a Hardware RTA

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
Rick Cornish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Looking for a Hardware RTA

Post by Rick Cornish »

Hey gang.....
Does anyone know where I might find a decent/professional hardware realtime analyzer? A used unit would be fine. Does NOT need to be lab/test equipment quality (ex: Goldline), but I'm looking for something that's reasonably accurate and reliable (I tried out a cheap Chinese box from AliExpress and it was a complete fail). I'd appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
Phil O

Re: Looking for a Hardware RTA

Post by Phil O »

Are you looking for something with a graphical (is that a word? :? ) display or are LEDs ok. I have an old 31 band DOD unit that I've used for years for live PA set up.
Like this:
https://reverb.com/item/4026864-dod-rta ... iginal-mic
It came with a calibrated mic and built in white noise generator. Unfortunately, I haven't seen anything similar to it recently.

You could also use a measurement mic and DP on a lap top with a FFT plugin.
Beyerdynamic makes one for 200 bucks:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... organicpla
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Phil O wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:33 pm Are you looking for something with a graphical (is that a word? :? ) display or are LEDs ok. I have an old 31 band DOD unit that I've used for years for live PA set up.
Like this:
https://reverb.com/item/4026864-dod-rta ... iginal-mic
It came with a calibrated mic and built in white noise generator. Unfortunately, I haven't seen anything similar to it recently.
Thanks, Phil O. This is pretty much what I'm looking for, though maybe a step or two up from the DOD unit. Hmmm....
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
Rick Cornish

Re: Looking for a Hardware RTA—SOLVED!

Post by Rick Cornish »

Don't know why I didn't think of this sooner:

I have an old iPad mini 2 that I've been using as the hub for my Apple HomeKit setup and just sits in my studio. I downloaded an app called "Octave RTA" from the App Store ($15), which does everything I need and more. It just uses the iPad's mic for audio input, but so far, that's good enough for what I need.

I'll drive it for awhile and see how it goes, but I'm thinking this is now solved (and for $15).
Rick Cornish

mikehalloran

Re: Looking for a Hardware RTA—SOLVED!

Post by mikehalloran »

Rick Cornish wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:07 pm Don't know why I didn't think of this sooner:

I have an old iPad mini 2 that I've been using as the hub for my Apple HomeKit setup and just sits in my studio. I downloaded an app called "Octave RTA" from the App Store ($15), which does everything I need and more. It just uses the iPad's mic for audio input, but so far, that's good enough for what I need.

I'll drive it for awhile and see how it goes, but I'm thinking this is now solved (and for $15).
I was going to suggest that. I use this Dayton calibrated measurement mic with mine. Under $22 new or under $18 "renewed" (whatever that means). It only works with iOS (and other) devices that have TRRS headphone jacks, of course. The advantage is that you will have a single point, omni mic instead of the native multiple array that can cause unintended phase anomalies. Amazon gives you 30 days to return if you don't like it.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Oooh, I might have to give that a try. Thanks, Mike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rick Cornish