Windows 11 - Wants you to buy a new PC

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
rp88.2
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Windows 11 - Wants you to buy a new PC

Post by rp88.2 »

Good Morning:

Wasn't sure where to put this, since there isn't a general Windows section and eventually Windows 11 will become 'more prevalent'.

I was surprised when Windows Update ran on my my PC (Dell 2.5GHz, 8GB) it indicated that Windows 11 is not supported. :shock: Downloaded the tool from Microsoft and it said the processor wasn't supported. :shock: Then searched and found this article:
https://www.pcmag.com/news/can-your-pc- ... -microsoft

Essentially any PC older than 4 years (before late-2017) will not officially run Windows 11. However, it may be possible to bypass the warning. They are still waiting on confirmation if this is a 'hard' stop or truly a 'warning'. Grrrr. :banghead:

Well my laptop runs DP 11 fine with 40-60 tracks of mixed audio/instruments/effect plugins, so no reason to dump my portable for now.

Just wanted to raise awareness and start the 'conversation'.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Windows 11 - Wants you to buy a new PC

Post by mikehalloran »

Hmmm... my Win laptop was made when NT was still a thing but ran Win 7 quite well.

If it works, I would let it ride.

My 2¢

Related: For my Macs, upgrade time was always simple: TurboTax (originally MacInTax) no longer ran on my hardware and I'd be scrambling to upgrade so that I could get my taxes done on time. When it first happened around 1990 with my Mac Plus, I was world class pissed and howling at the moon—TT was just not going to run on a 68000 and there was nothing I could do about it. I've mellowed out on this issue the last 30 years and now upgrade for other reasons.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro