FYI...DP 11.01 is out

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bralston
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

FYI...DP 11.01 is out

Post by bralston »

DP 11.01 update is now out.

https://motu.com/download

"Digital Performer 11 is our biggest version yet. With 11.01, thanks to your feedback, we've focused on general bug fixes and improvements within the program, while adding a few new features as well ⚡️
New features include:
🎚 Added a fixed fader height preference
☄️ New delay output feature for Articulations
⚙ Support for Console 1 to DP's VST3 hosting"
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13
mikehalloran

Re: FYI...DP 11.01 is out

Post by mikehalloran »

On it! Thanks for the heads up.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

crashes on load for me.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

From the Installer:

Enhancements introduced in version 11.01

Enhancements and optimizations
• Added a "Fader Height" preference submenu to the mixing board mini-menu for fixing the faders at certain heights, in addition to the new dynamic scaling feature. The "small" setting is equivalent to the pre-DP11 fader height.
• Added a new delay output for Articulations.
• Added support for Console 1 to DP's VST3 hosting.
• Added the MIDI Track Protocol Settings window which displays the input/output devices for a single track and the associated protocol settings for those devices
• The Articulation Map Setup window will now remember which folders were expanded last time it was open and also will expand folders to reveal the selected file. Also, the expand/collapse arrows can also be option clicked to expand/collapse all subfolders.
• Updated the LAME export plug-in to work with the latest version of the library, which includes support for Apple Silicon.

Fixes
• Avoid problems in Metal rendering if DP presents the renderer with a zero-dimension view.
• Backup Articulation Maps weren't working properly so just remove them for now.
• Changed pitch nudging in audible mode to not wait around to play the note off.
• Changed the behavior of Change Continuous Data to handle range selections of ramping types in a similar fashion as the reshape tool. Also, insert a point before the selection for chase-forward types to maintain previous value from time zero to selection start.
• Cleared flags field in change meter dialog (shouldn't be selected).
• Don't read saved times from templates.
• DP: Unload all effect dylibs when DP quits (required by NI).
• Fixed "erase selection" to work correctly with soundbites and tempo events.
• Fixed a bug causing a crash when switching DP back to the foreground if it was put in the background with a send knob text editing field currently focused.
• Fixed a bug causing articulation symbols added using an articulation map in a graphic editor not to be editable from the QS palette.
• Fixed a bug causing certain configurations of text articulations to collide with notes outside of the staff.
• Fixed a bug causing glitchy hairpin dynamics to be created when clicking to switch to DP when from another app when a hairpin dynamics tool is active.
• Fixed a bug causing longer-form articulation text to incorrectly repeat across measure boundaries.
• Fixed a bug causing Smart Quantize not to work.
• Fixed a bug causing text-based articulations not to appear in MusicXML export, and make sure that they similarly do not repeat themselves in MusicXML.
• Fixed a bug causing the sf and sfz symbols not to display correctly in QS.
• Fixed a bug causing the white key labels to disappear when pitch ruler's "Always display all note names" preference is enabled, if the MIDI editor is popped out of the CW and the track selector is open.
• Fixed a bug where Articulation Map file IO would listen to the pitch mode preference setting causing maps to be read in with invalid pitches.
• Fixed a bug where bounce to disk settings dialogs would get cut-off if DP's UI was scaled up.
• Fixed a bug where DP would freeze when soloing or muting a track with a clip playing, this is also a better fix for a crash that occurred when sending bogus events to certain effects.
• Fixed a bug where holding a note past the record punch out time would cause the note to be ignored.
• Fixed a bug where MIDI click wasn't working.
• Fixed a bug where starting playback in the middle of a note would not chase the note.
• Fixed a bug where the articulations lane in the sequence editor would only do time range selections.
• Fixed a bug where the Sequence Editor wouldn't pay attention to the View Filter.
• Fixed a bug where the wrong frame-rate was being written to SMFs.
• Fixed a case where unpacking a looped clip might drop a soundbite from the last iteration.
• Fixed a crash bug where deleting a soundbite or bites in the event list would crash if the cursor was over a selected item.
• Fixed a crash opening the Articulation Map Setup Window in Japanese.
• Fixed a crash related to creating new mixes.
• Fixed a crash related to opening a file with a conductor track in a song chunk.
• Fixed a crash that could occur when dragging data out of DP on the Mac.
• Fixed a crash that could occur when renaming a global clipping folder in the finder/explorer, then switching back to DP and attempting to open the clipping window.
• Fixed a crash when opening the Automation Setup Window.
• Fixed a crash when undoing changes made to non time range selected per note events.
• Fixed a display glitch in the 1-high control panel when using the "None More Black" theme on a non-retina display.
• Fixed a display glitch where Articulation names would disappear from the text box in the setup window when selecting a new articulation where the name was much longer or shorter.
• Fixed a longstanding bug causing QS "small notehead" notes that are displayed to the left of the stem to incorrectly position the noteheads detached on the right of the stem.
• Fixed a longstanding Windows bug causing system dialog windows to position buttons and text incorrectly.
• Fixed a movie playback issue triggered by the combination of an unusual chunk start time and 23.976 frame rate.
• Fixed a problem that was causing NI plug-ins to fail VST3 validation.
• Fixed a spelling error in the Retro Record prefs.
• Fixed an inefficiency in the StrWidthCache. Speeds up the SoundBites window considerably.
• Fixed an issue where when dragging notes in the MIDI GE, toggling the grid snap with a mod key could leave trails.
• Fixed an optimization bug that was causing a crash in some projects.
• Fixed cases where undoing or redoing edts to song elements could crash.
• Fixed click detection on pitch shift algorithm popup in the SE.
• Fixed crash bugs displaying articulation map pitch, controller or patch change output settings when running in Japanese mode.
• Fixed direct-draw problems with Adjust Beats.
• Fixed display glitch with continuous data in tracks assigned to any channel.
• Fixed localization of MAS dialogs on Windows.
• Fixed Merge Chunks to Sequence.
• Fixed MIDI input in text boxes.
• Fixed searching for notes using the event type checkboxes.
• Fixed several drawing problems with the reshape tool.
• Fixed shift-tab when editing in the event list (mac only).
• Fixed some problems with MIDI tracks driven by VCAs. Other VCA related fixes.
• Fixed tabbing across fields in the event list when more than one time format is showing.
• Fixed the GoToMarker window.
• Fixed the keyboard display in Split Notes.
• Fixed value boxes in the Transpose dialog to not deselect when values are entered from a MIDI keyboard.
• Implemented a better workaround for the bug where some movies would not play back from time zero.
• Localized Configure Hardware Driver for German.
• Made it so when you turn off a VCA group, controlled tracks return to their nominal values.
• Made QuickScribe respects the Articulations view filter.
• Optimized operations in tracks with large numbers of bites.
• Optimized priming speed in large projects.
• Possible fix for marker name popup box showing up in the wrong place.
• Potential fix for a crash in MIDIAutomationMediator related to overdubbing Mono Pressure, it looks like this may have been an existing bug that was just undefined behavior before that turned into a crash when more type safety was added.
• Potential fix for a rare but persistent crash in PureDSP.
• Potential fix for a rare crash that occurs when changing the selected Articulation Map on a track.
• Potential fix for another lag issue when changing edit tracks in the MIDI editor while solo mode is enabled.
• Potential fix for Eb20 issue with Articulation Maps, check alternate translations as well when reading in pitches so maps would be compatible with different language versions and if an invalid pitch is read in use the default pitch instead of holding onto an invalid pitch.
• Prevent a crash which can be caused by MIDI data quantizing in certain ways in QS.
• Trigger latency rebalancing whenever MAS buffer size is changed.
• Use the correct end time when writing selection as Standard MIDI File.
• VST3 Support: Guard against the set of effectInfos being modified while the set is being updated.
• VST3 Support: Unload VST3 dylibs when the wrapper dylib is unloaded (fixes NI crash on quit).
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

dewdman42 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:50 am crashes on load for me.
Is the crash reporter active?
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

it crashes directly to Apple's crash reporter...I don't have anything from MOTU disabled.
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

I just tried with the disable crash reporter option, get the same crash either way...

Guess I have to roll back to 11.0, have submitted a ticket to MOTU already.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

No crash on quit bug anymore it seems. :headbang:
The Reason VST3 version is still not showing up in tracks. :deadhorse:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
dix

Post by dix »

All good here.

The new Articulation Delay is going to be very helpful. I haven't gotten too far into implementing Articulations, but I was already having to work around that limitation. I'm also super impressed how quickly this got implemented, not to mention the long list of bug fixes!

Good work MOTU, and thanks for listening!

...although the new Articulation Delay feature should be called Articulation Time-Shift, since it will also shift notes forward in time - which is how I will be using it mainly (for advancing Shorts, which can sound laggy if they're not shifted) .
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

The list of fixes hints at VCA issues and automation ramp issues reported here. Anyone know if they're fixed?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

dewdman42 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:10 am I just tried with the disable crash reporter option, get the same crash either way...

Guess I have to roll back to 11.0, have submitted a ticket to MOTU already.
First thing to do is attempt to open DP without plug ins enabled.

A goofy but often effective fix for weird crashes like this with updates is to move your DP related preferences to the desktop, (in case it doesn't fix the issue you don't have to rebuild your preferences etc.)

Here's the tech link covering this. :)
https://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/ ... 20Glitches
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
ivorysteve

Post by ivorysteve »

Also opened my latest project and immediately crashed. Reverted back to 11.0. C'mon guys. Regression testing, anyone? Bueller?
-------
2018 Mac mini 6-core i7 32 GB RAM, UHD Graphics with 2 displays, MacOS Big Sur
2019 MacBook Pro i9 8-core 32 GB RAM, MacOS Big Sur as VEP slave
MOTU M4 audio IF, Monogram CC controller
DP 11
dix

Post by dix »

ivorysteve wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:26 pm Also opened my latest project and immediately crashed. Reverted back to 11.0. C'mon guys. Regression testing, anyone? Bueller?
No issues here on my ancient rig running Mojave - so I'm delighted with the regression testing. Of course there's infinite variables to be considered. Please let us know your specs, your OS at least. That might help folks help you if still you want to update
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

I just tried opening a project from 2005 that is a DP5 file originally created on DP4.5. Ran fine. My latest save of a v11 file from yesterday runs fine. I wish I knew the magic words. I was using VSTs in the latest project, but something tells me DP's VST handling may still be a bit janky.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Impressive list of fixes. Thanks for sharing.