Recording Electric Bass -- straight into Ultraite-mk4 or use a DI before?

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
rp88.2
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Recording Electric Bass -- straight into Ultraite-mk4 or use a DI before?

Post by rp88.2 »

Hi:

Moving into some territory that is new for me. Planning to record some electric bass riffs for a project.

What is the general consensus if I am adding effects/sculpting the sound 'in the box' -- should I record the bass plugged directly into the Ultralite-mk4 or should I use a DI designed for bass (like the SansAmp) before?

This may be a 'preference issue', but I am looking for some insight/recommendations from those that have done/do this on a more regular basis. Thank you!

Best regards,

Rich
mikehalloran

Re: Recording Electric Bass -- straight into Ultraite-mk4 or use a DI before?

Post by mikehalloran »

Try both. I did a lot of studio work over the years.

If an active bass, I always went direct and still do through the CombiJack. I liked DI boxes with passive basses but there’s no hard rule. Try it both ways — if it sounds good, it is good.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Trying both is good, but recording both at once is better. Then you can decide later, or mix the two. I never found one of them always better than the other.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

As someone who stopped using active basses 6-8 years ago or more, I can only speak to passive basses (though I find straight-into-the-interface fine for active basses), but my own opinions are quite in opposition to current norms, as I have recently moved to room mics only (mid-distance and far-distance), no on-the-cabinet mics, and DI only for emergency re-amping (though maybe I'll use a touch of it in the mix).

Having said that, I strongly recommend ACTIVE DI only (not Passive DI) for passive basses, as there's way more headroom. Preferably off the mains vs. 48V phantom or 500-series racks. I recently upgraded from the Radial PZ-DI (48V phantom) to their new (and huge!) JDV Mk V. A gigantic upgrade, which I didn't expect as the feature set is similar. But even so, I get better sound still from the DI on my Mesa Prodigy bass amp head.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

mhschmieder wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:51 pm As someone who stopped using active basses 6-8 years ago or more, I can only speak to passive basses (though I find straight-into-the-interface fine for active basses), but my own opinions are quite in opposition to current norms, as I have recently moved to room mics only (mid-distance and far-distance), no on-the-cabinet mics, and DI only for emergency re-amping (though maybe I'll use a touch of it in the mix).

Having said that, I strongly recommend ACTIVE DI only (not Passive DI) for passive basses, as there's way more headroom. Preferably off the mains vs. 48V phantom or 500-series racks. I recently upgraded from the Radial PZ-DI (48V phantom) to their new (and huge!) JDV Mk V. A gigantic upgrade, which I didn't expect as the feature set is similar. But even so, I get better sound still from the DI on my Mesa Prodigy bass amp head.
I have no problem with any of that.

The only way I like to record an upright bass is in a small church with a ribbon 10’–15’ away. Everyone else can do that up-close multi-mic sound that doesn’t sound like any bass I’ve ever heard live. No thanks!
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Good point on the upright! I'll keep that in mind once I get my upright bass to the east coast (or buy a new one that is fully carved vs. hybrid).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

It might be useful to give a heads up about what to listen for, in the comparison.

As far as the tonal shape, I listen for what that low-mid and low sounds like-- is it muddy? or clear? How much top is there, and whether or not it is "useful" top?

Do you lose some dynamic response with the DI vs straight in?
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
rp88.2

Post by rp88.2 »

Thank you all very much for the replies!!

I have some good places to start and what to listen for-- very helpful!

FYI, ordered a Radial JDI and will compare to straight in. I wanted to avoid a combo DI and effects box, for now.

Thank you all again!! :headbang:

Rich
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

rp88.2 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:27 pmFYI, ordered a Radial JDI and will compare to straight in.
That's what I've had for years. You can use the Thru to record other paths at the same time, but I've usually ended up just recording the JDI output.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Good choice, great bang-for-buck, and a nice starting point for learning about bass guitar recording, even if you mate it to a passive bass.

One thing I failed to mention is that these boxes change the sound of the bass in most circumstances, when splitting the signal, which is why I stopped using them in the studio. Even the expensive JDV Mk V, which has an adjustment to try to get back closer to the original input impedance before going out to the amp. The problem is that there are other factors, cable length, etc. I'm not sure it's possible to get EXACTLY the same sound from the through jack of a DI compared to plugging directly into an amp.

This is likely why I get better DI sound from my Mesa Prodigy head (preferably before the pre-amp stage; both options are available) than from a carefully adjusted Radial JDV. VERY few bass amps have good enough DI's to use for critical applications. SWR's were the worst I ever used. Mesa puts extra effort into theirs. The ones on their guitar amps are also quite good.

You are not likely to run into the level of critical listening and refinement that I am talking about though, as a relative newbie. Your main focus is going to be learning how to make room for the kick drums when shaping the sound, whether and how to apply compression (perhaps side-chain parallel compression) in the mix, achieving the best low-mid punch (often related to playing technique and choice of strings), etc.

For live purposes, the passive JDI is a safer bet anyway than the JDV; fewer things for FOH or other "not under your command" people to mess up.

rp88.2

Post by rp88.2 »

Thanks again for all tips!

Good information, if I end up recording bass in a more 'critical mode' where the 'natural' bass sound takes center stage. For now, it is for some creative production projects.

Y'all have a great week!