Discovery doesn't see my 828es

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
vajoe
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Discovery doesn't see my 828es

Post by vajoe »

I have an 828es connected to my Windows machine via thunderbolt. The device works, because I can access it via programs and use it as my windows 10 sound input/output device.

However the Discovery program does not see it. Discovery reports There are no devices currently connected. Make sure your interface is connected via Thunderbolt or USB cables.

Any hints as to why this is happening. The only thing that changed lately is a windows update.

I've tried reinstalling the software. All to no avail. I'd really like to be able to get my control back.

Thanks.
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Discovery doesn't see my 828es

Post by HCMarkus »

Have you tried power-cycling the 828? Also, experiment with power on sequence between the interface and your computer.

On my Mac, if I reboot the computer but not the 828, Discovery sometimes (but not always) fails to "see" the interface when the computer comes back up. Power cycling the 828ES resolves the issue for me.

Also,if you have the 828ES connected by Ethernet as well, it will probably always be available via the browser interface. On my Mac, even when Discovery can't find it, the 828 can be controlled via Ethernet. Unfortunately, in my case, when this situation occurs, the 828ES is not visible to DP or other audio software, so the aforementioned power cycling of the interface is required.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
vajoe
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Discovery doesn't see my 828es

Post by vajoe »

I have tried cycling the interface. I have found a new clue. MOTUDNSResponder is constantly crashing. I've disable that service for now and opened a trouble ticket with MOTU. I can now reliably access the interface via localhost:1280.