Sudden high pitch distorted sound: Why is my new interface doing this?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
cfibanez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Sudden high pitch distorted sound: Why is my new interface doing this?

Post by cfibanez »

Brand new MOTU UltraLite mk5 works perfectly… until it does not. All of a sudden, the sound gets crazy with high pitch distorted peaks. I change the sample rate from 96K to 44K and the audio becomes normal again. Then switch back to 96K and the audio remains normal. (It does not seem to the be a problem with the actual rate that is used.)

I am using the interface connected to an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019) running OS 10.15.7 using the provided USB-C cable. By the way, the same phenomenon occurs if the interface is powered up at a rate of 44kHz. After a while the high pitch distorted sound begins. This time, it can be resolved by switching the rate to 96kHz (and probably to other rates as well).

Can anyone please tell me what may be going on? MOTU says the problem is in my computer. But I had a Scarlett 6i6 a long time connected to that computer without any problem. I sold it. I thought I was upgrading to something better. Hmmm...

Thanks in advance.
mikehalloran

Re: Sudden high pitch distorted sound: Why is my new interface doing this?

Post by mikehalloran »

MOTU says the problem is in my computer.
Maybe, you've not given us enough info to hazard a guess.

What is actually making the sound? The box, your internal speakers, headphones, something else?

What apps are you using? How are you using them?

What OS and version?

Is Loopback engaged?

Is this a feedback loop? Really? How do you know?

What else do we need to know?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
cfibanez

Post by cfibanez »

Thanks.

What is actually making the sound? The box, your internal speakers, headphones, something else?
That is exactly what I want to know. Had I know the answer, I'd not need to bother you with this. Can I upload a sound file here?

What apps are you using?
Any app that produces sounds: iTunes, Ableton Live, YouTube.

How are you using them?
I am using as one should. Same way I have always used them.

What OS and version?

Is Loopback engaged?
Default option.

Is this a feedback loop? Really? How do you know?
Never said this was a feedback loop.

What else do we need to know?
Can I upload a sound sample here?
meisterjaan

Post by meisterjaan »

Yes! I have the exact same problem. At first I thought the problem lies with my M1 Mac but now I have heard from two people (the other was on a fb group) with an intel Mac having the same problem, I think some of the mk5's are just faulty and I should return mine.

Would be cool if it'd be solvable though.. One thing I've noticed is that it happens more often when using a DAW and more rarely when just listening to music and browsing around.

Definitely submit the problem to Motu if you haven't already, then they know it's a common problem.
cfibanez

Post by cfibanez »

I have been in contact with MOTU. Feedback was as follows:

1). Test with another USB cable
2). Test will all different USB ports on the computer to see if there's a difference.
3). Test with or without a USB hub or adapter if possible.
4). Test on another computer. Testing on another computer will quickly tell us if the problem is specific to the unit or the computer. If the problematic behavior continues on another computer, we know it's the interface. If the interface works normally, we know the problem is specific to your main computer.

I think that in my case it is an issue of communication between computer and MOTU unit. The USB cable provided by MOTU is lousy. I replaced it with a high end cable and the problem has not returned. I suggest you to do the same. It also helps if you don't have a million things connected to the other USB ports of the computer (as I did). But with the new cable, I can have all the ports occupied with stuff without any problem.

Hopes this helps.
meisterjaan

Post by meisterjaan »

Thank you kind sir! Switching out the USB-C cable worked! Problem solved :) The supplied USB-C to USB-C cable was the problem.

The feedback I got from Motu support was like 7 questions - does the problem occur when using the interface with another computer etc, does this happen in another DAW? etc. The list of questions was so long that I was still stuck waiting for a chance to test the interface on another computer and didn't get to the question about which cable I was using.
cfibanez

Post by cfibanez »

So glad to hear!!!
jazzsnob

Post by jazzsnob »

Have the same problem, changed the cable, but didn't work.

It is very weird, because sometimes the audio plays normally for a long time and nothing sounds bad. However, I noticed if you have multiple programs that are open (e.g. youtube, daw, zoom, etc.) the audio starts distorting.

I wonder if it's the device's fault, or as mentioned above - something with drivers or communication between the device and the computer?

Not sure what to do, any advice?
julio

Post by julio »

just registered an account to say this exact thing is happening to me. changed cables, computer, everything in sequence to suggest its in the firmware or hardware of the box.
i get a distorted 'bitcrushed' sound, resetting the sample rate fixes this in mac osx monterey.
i'm concerned as a professional musician i can't use this one stage as-is
i purchased three cables including usb-c and tb4 to ensure this is not a cabling issue.
any help would be appreciated
Dezem

Post by Dezem »

Same problems here.

I recently purchased a Motu M4 for use with my 2021 14" MacBook Pro (m1pro chip)

I also Filed an issue with Motu tech and went through similar procedures.

I even ran the M4 without drivers being USB compliant (no change)

Using a USB HUB cleared up my audio outs glitches, but it then introduced fluctuating audio input latency making it impossible to record in-audio with the correct timing. So, the HUB was rendered useless. (yes I did try various buffer sizes, but latency was obvious even in the OS audio pref pane making it system deep and not application specific).

I purchased 3 USB C cables from different manufactures but I didn't get any results and I feel pee'd off that I would need to spend further money on trial and error.

Last resort, I own a little SanDisk Extreme external SSD 500GB that comes with a stubby USB C cable and it actually worked, but its way too short(16cm) to use properly as the M4 sits sideways at the MacBooks port and I have to break my neck to use it or see the VU meters.
This tells me it is a cable issue and I need to find a longer one that works despite purchasing a few that have been no better with the electronic glitching audio artifacts.

I'm thinking the cable needs to be 0.8m or less as I hear that longer cables cause data issues with different standards and I'm yet to find the right cable.

So, if anyone could list/link the model of a cable that works with the Motu M range and the 2021 MacBook Pro I would be most grateful.
Dezem

Post by Dezem »

julio wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:49 pm i get a distorted 'bitcrushed' sound, resetting the sample rate fixes this in mac osx monterey.

i purchased three cables including usb-c and tb4 to ensure this is not a cabling issue.
any help would be appreciated
How long was your TB4 cable? I'm thinking these need to be 0.8m or less to be backwards compatible and passive?

I do wish Motu would recommend a tried and tested USB C to C cable.

I'm in the same process of finding the correct cable here (see my post in this thread)
Thanks
Dezem

Post by Dezem »

jazzsnob wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:37 am Have the same problem, changed the cable, but didn't work.

It is very weird, because sometimes the audio plays normally for a long time and nothing sounds bad. However, I noticed if you have multiple programs that are open (e.g. youtube, daw, zoom, etc.) the audio starts distorting.

I wonder if it's the device's fault, or as mentioned above - something with drivers or communication between the device and the computer?

Not sure what to do, any advice?
Same here, I don't think it's a driver issue as Motu M series are supposed to be USB compliant and work without drivers as I mentioned in this thread.
Dezem

Post by Dezem »

meisterjaan wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:22 am Thank you kind sir! Switching out the USB-C cable worked! Problem solved :) The supplied USB-C to USB-C cable was the problem.
Could you please link us to the USB C cable that works so that we can check it's specs or purchase it.

Thanks
Dezem

Post by Dezem »

cfibanez wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:52 am I think that in my case it is an issue of communication between computer and MOTU unit. The USB cable provided by MOTU is lousy. I replaced it with a high end cable and the problem has not returned. I suggest you to do the same.
It would be great if you could post a link to your specific cable that works so that we could purchase or see it's specs.
I'm also searching for a cable, but so far I have wasted money on 3 that don't work
Thanks
adamcluck
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by adamcluck »

Does it sound like this:

I'm having the same issue. Just got my M4, and contacted tech support.