8Pre-es Phantom power on inputs with TRS?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
chapito
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

8Pre-es Phantom power on inputs with TRS?

Post by chapito »

HI
Im in the process of upgrading my whole system from my beloved Traveller M1 to an 8Pre-es and M1 Mac. Due to my new studio setup I need to run a drop snake or patchbay since I won't have convenient access to the back panel.

Looking at the specs it 'appears' that the inputs won't send 48VPP on the input if a TRS is inserted. Is this correct? I understand the reason for this but need access to ALL Mic/Inst/Line inserts of these 8 inputs via an extension (like a patch bay or snake). Furthermore, because I need the 1MΩ impedance created by a TS insert (Guitar) I can't use an XLR only snake.

I was thinking one of these may be a solution:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ke-25-foot

1. ProCo Combi Drop snake (combi-TRS), add 4 [TRS to XLR adapters] so the 8Pre 'sees' an XLR input

2. ProCo Combi Drop snake (combi-TRS), replace 4 of the TRS plugs for XLR (resulting in a 4TRS x 4XLR snake

so what are PPL doing about finding/getting/making a combi Patchbay or drop snake?
Hopefully im wrong, plan for the worse-hope for the best.
thanks in advance for any help
8Pre-ES THB2 / 2011 iMac / macOS 10.13.4 / Logic Pro X / Finale26
chapito
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 8Pre-es Phantom power on inputs with TRS?

Post by chapito »

from MOTU Support: the e8Pre-ES will only send 48VPP via the XLR jacks. Once a TRS is inserted the connection disables PP and the input impedance is set @1MΩ for balanced/unbalanced inputs.

I ended up building a drop snake using TRS and adding TRS>XLR adapter for the Inputs I wanted to dedicate as Mic channels. (For maximum expansion, I now have the option of up to 8 Mics or 8 Instr/Line inputs as needed from the same snake)
8Pre-ES THB2 / 2011 iMac / macOS 10.13.4 / Logic Pro X / Finale26