Stream iPad Audio to Mac Pro Audio System?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

Rick Cornish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Stream iPad Audio to Mac Pro Audio System?

Post by Rick Cornish »

OK, Mac-heads—here's one that's been stumping me for weeks: :banghead:

I have an application where I either need to stream iPad audio to my Mac Pro, so it will play through my audio interface and out my studio speakers (the preferred method)… or I could push video from my Mac Pro to my iPad.

I know I can send iPad audio to my Mac running a wire from the headphone out of the iPad to an input on my audio interface, but for several reasons Bluetooth would be more convenient. I can get my iPad to connect to Bluetooth on the Mac Pro, but for some reason it doesn't show up as an audio source in the Mac's sound control panel.

BTW: My Mac Pro is a late-2013 vintage, so unfortunately Sidecar isn't an option, because that only works on 2019 or newer Mac Pros.

Running Catalina on my Mac Pro and iOS 14.7.1 on my iPad mini 4.

Any suggestions?
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
mikehalloran

Re: Stream iPad Audio to Mac Pro Audio System?

Post by mikehalloran »

Have you tried AirPlay? All Macs since 2011 support that. Apple has a number of support docs on this.

https://support.apple.com/guide/ipad/ho ... ca0/ipados

Remember that Catalina is a supported MacOS. If that doc doesn't point you in the right direction, schedule a support call. They're free.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

mikehalloran wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:10 am Have you tried AirPlay? All Macs since 2011 support that. Apple has a number of support docs on this.

https://support.apple.com/guide/ipad/ho ... ca0/ipados

Remember that Catalina is a supported MacOS. If that doc doesn't point you in the right direction, schedule a support call. They're free.
Thanks, Mike. I have tried Airplay (should've mentioned that in my original post), but couldn't get my Mac Pro to show up as a playback destination… only two Apple TVs and an old Airport Express I'm using as a wifi extender. I haven't been able to find a place to configure that on the Mac. Sharing, perhaps?
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Just found this.....

Can I AirPlay from iPhone to Mac?
AirPlay is an Apple feature that lets you wirelessly stream content from one device to another. ... There's no direct way to AirPlay, or screen mirror, from an iPhone to a Mac, but you can work around that by downloading a third-party app like Reflector, and connecting both devices to the same Wi-Fi network.Apr 14, 2021

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-to- ... one-to-mac

BTW: There is now an "Airplay to Mac" capability in the new OS, but—like Sidecar—it's not supported on my 2013 Mac Pro.
Rick Cornish