Using DP to write to picture

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
dazzjazz
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Using DP to write to picture

Post by dazzjazz »

Hi all,
I have my first composer-for-hire job (yay) and need some help.

While I’ve been using DP for a long time (mostly production music) there’s a whole bunch of features in the software that I imagine I’m going to need to use, that I’ve never touched. The client will be supplying two 45-second videos for me to write for. So my question is:

What features should I be reading upon so I make the process as hassle-free as a first time can possibly be? I believe DP is the main DAW for this type of composition so I’m looking forward checking out a bunch of stuff.

Regards

Darren
iMac 27" 2013 24 GB RAM
OSX Catalina. Focusrite Clarett 8Pre. Heritage Audio HA73.
DP10.

Yamaha CP4. 1961 Hammond A100. Too many Leslies.
……………………
Darren Heinrich
BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano
PhD Jazz Organ Improvisation

http://www.dazzjazz.com/
bjornln
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Using DP to write to picture

Post by bjornln »

Hi,

You may want to drop in on Matt LaPoints webinars, they will go through a lot of stuff as well as Q&A. It's summer vacation right now, but I guess it will start up in a week or two.
You can see the the schedule here:
https://motu.com/en-us/products/software/dp/webinars/

Best,
/B
Macmini M1 | Motu 828mk3 x 1 | 2 x Motu M64 & SSL XLogic Alpha-Link MADI AX | 2 x Motu MTP AV | OSX 12.6.x | DP 11.x | Mach5 3.x.x | 2xiLok | 2xUAD quad dsp card | Altiverb 7.x | SoundToys | Nomad factory | PSP | Arturia V-collection | Korg VI's |
and loads n' loads n' loads n' loads n' loads o' stuff.
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

depends on what you are going to do specifically.

If you need to get hit points on the grid, then check out that tool, part of the markers feature. I doubt you need to mess around with streamers and punches and all that..
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
jmc

Post by jmc »

Congrats on the gig! Depending on how the video is turned over to you, you may need to have the video offset from the sequence so check out the video start and chunk start capabilities. Also knowing what kind of delivery you need may determine what stems/splits they want, if any, so having a good track routing template ready to go will help speed up that process. Hope that helps!
Macbook Pro 2021 M1 Max OS12.4 | DP 11.11
Mac Pro 2012 3.2 Quad Core OSX 10.14.6 VE PRO 7
dazzjazz

Post by dazzjazz »

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

I clicked through to the MOTU webinars but most of them say ‘coming soon’ going back months!

Oh well…
iMac 27" 2013 24 GB RAM
DP10.

……………………
Darren Heinrich
BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano

leigh

Post by leigh »

dazzjazz wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:03 pm Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

I clicked through to the MOTU webinars but most of them say ‘coming soon’ going back months!

Oh well…
Groove3 has a DP 8 series by Eli Krantzberg that has some videos giving the basics of working with film: https://www.groove3.com/tutorials/Digit ... 8-Advanced

That might help you get started.

**Leigh
I don't care what you play. I care how you play.— Karl Berger

iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W, 128GB RAM, Mac OS X 14.2, DP 11.3
VSL, VE Pro 7, MIR Pro 3D, UVI Falcon, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Ozone 9 Advanced, RX 8 Advanced, Dorico 5, Metric Halo ULN-8-3D mkiv, ULN-2-3D & 2882-3D interfaces, Novation Impulse-49, various mics
bjornln
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by bjornln »

It will be a new schedule with new ones up there soon... :-)
They are live.
There has been 120'ish webinars. I've been to over a hundred. Usually its 2 times a week (tuesdays and thursdays)
Unless there is something that has happened, it will be coming up in a week or two.
Just realized that you are located in Sydney. There has been a few people from Australia there, but the times might be at somewhat uncomfortable times.
/B
dazzjazz wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:03 pm Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Oh well…
Macmini M1 | Motu 828mk3 x 1 | 2 x Motu M64 & SSL XLogic Alpha-Link MADI AX | 2 x Motu MTP AV | OSX 12.6.x | DP 11.x | Mach5 3.x.x | 2xiLok | 2xUAD quad dsp card | Altiverb 7.x | SoundToys | Nomad factory | PSP | Arturia V-collection | Korg VI's |
and loads n' loads n' loads n' loads n' loads o' stuff.
Bobbyd

Post by Bobbyd »

I only did one 30 second video with the webinar assignment back in May.

Open the video in Quicktime to find out what the frame rate is and set it in DP. And yes, you'll wanna make sure the video start time and chunk start time are the same. You can place markers at hit points with Ctl/M. Changes in BPM gets more complicated, but you may wanna do some of that too.
iMac 27" 3.6 i9 2019 OS 10.14.4 40Gb RAM, DP 10.13 & 11.11
Mac Mini M1 2020, OS 12.4, 8GB RAM - DP 11.11 - Komplete Kontrol A49
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Bobbyd wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:01 am Open the video in Quicktime to find out what the frame rate is and set it in DP. And yes, you'll wanna make sure the video start time and chunk start time are the same. You can place markers at hit points with Ctl/M. Changes in BPM gets more complicated, but you may wanna do some of that too.
+1

Bobbyd's advice is essential square-one settings.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
frankf

Post by frankf »

All good advice. I’ll add that a conversation with the editor before he sends you a dub of the film is essential for the integrity of the sync of the audio you will be returning to him. Here are the most important and other steps:
-What frame rate, sample and bit rate is he working with in his video editor
-what is the his first frame of picture.
Also,
-set your “master” DP Chunk to these settings
-Open the movie in DP and set the movie start time to the beginning of the film. Here you must adjust for pre roll. For example, if the first frame of picture is 01;00;00;00 and you determine that there are 20 secs of pre roll, set the movie start time to 00;59;40;00

You should check these on the dub the editor sends you. Sometimes, not often, the dub will have different settings from what he told you. This is because whoever made the dub (more likely an inexperienced intern) rendered your dub with the wrong settings).
Finally, i import the Movie audio to a track and with movie playback synchronized to DP playback (a setting), I listen to both the imported audio track and audio imbedded in the movie together, and spot check audio sync at various points of the movie. If all is good you’re ready to proceed with spotting the cues with the director and editor certain that when he gives you time code locations you and they are talking about the same in and out for each cue.

Or you can have an assistant do all this if you have a budget :)
-then, most important, write some music!

These steps have helped me communicate with and deliver synced mixes or stems back to the editors in many films both short and long.

I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
dazzjazz

Post by dazzjazz »

frankf wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:55 am
-set your “master” DP Chunk to these settings
-Open the movie in DP and set the movie start time to the beginning of the film. Here you must adjust for pre roll. For example, if the first frame of picture is 01;00;00;00 and you determine that there are 20 secs of pre roll, set the movie start time to 00;59;40;00
Thanks Frank, I have a few more questions
What is a “master chunk”?

The job I’ve landed is two separate 45 second advertisements. I had imagined that I’d have to place the movie at bar 1 so I’ve got a count in from bar zero (if I end up working to tempo).
So I guess I’m confused about preroll - can you elaborate please?

Ah being a newbie is kinda fun!

Thanks

Darren
iMac 27" 2013 24 GB RAM
DP10.

……………………
Darren Heinrich
BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano

frankf

Post by frankf »

Apologies, “master chunk” is my terminology, not Motu’s. I use this sequence chunk to spot a film and then to break out music cues to their own sequence chunks for scoring.

Pre roll is a term that defines how many frames precede the first frame of picture. You must account for this in the DP Movie Window to be in sync.

It’s easier to understand all this in a seminar setting. I’ve done seminars with presentations at NAMM, AES and for Motu on this subject and workflow. I hope I’ve and the others who commented here have given you a basic understanding of the process.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB