Never Scroll Your Template Again, Part 1

Moderators: James Steele, Shooshie

Forum rules
This forum is being developed and is intended as intended as a place to bring together various Digital Performer video tutorials. Currently only YouTube videos may be embedded using the [YouTube] BB code.
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Never Scroll Your Template Again, Part 1

Post by James Steele »

Sharing this YouTube video by Evan Goldman.

If you're a film composer or are anything like me, chances are you work in a very large scoring template with countless tracks available to you at all times and you spend a surprisingly large amount of time constantly scrolling to find exactly which track or group of tracks you need to work with next.

In this video, I explore a workflow I've been developing/refining in which I can always find whatever track I need ULTRA fast with little to no scrolling in the main tracks (arrange) window.

Additionally, this workflow allows for FULLSCREEN/SAME-SCREEN views of both tracks/arrange AND Piano Roll/MIDI/KEY Editors (in order to have maximum vertical real estate for EACH window - as opposed to a split screen or multi-screen view common in most DAW setups) and grants the composer the ability to VERY quickly adjust what MIDI/information they see in Piano Roll without ever having to actually close/minimize or divert attention away from Piano Roll.

In Pt 2. (coming soon) I'll dive more in depth on exactly how Keyboard Maestro is setup to help achieve this workflow. Hope you enjoy and stay tuned for more. Thanks for watching!

00:00 - Intro
01:43 - MAIN TRACK VISIBILITY FILTERING FEATURE - In Main Tracks Overview/Arrange Window
05:57 - FURTHER VISIBILITY FILTERING/OPTIMIZATION - working w SHOW ONLY commands
07:55 - ADDING/REMOVING TRACK FROM VISIBILITY FILTERING
09:32 - MIDI EDITOR (piano roll/key editor) VISIBILITY FEATURES

OFFICIAL WEBSITE: https://www.evangoldmanmusic.com
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!