Any better plugin/waves compatibly w/DP11 on w10?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
pencilina
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Any better plugin/waves compatibly w/DP11 on w10?

Post by pencilina »

Hi,

I couldn't get waves GUIs unfrozen while passing audio after much brutal troubleshooting, wasted time and unresponsive Motu tech support in DP10. In DP10 I experienced frozen GUIs w/psp as well and some elements in soundtoys not working.
Have windows users tried DP11 and if so how are your plugins doing, specifically waves?
Thanks in advance

B
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
busle
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Any better plugin/waves compatibly w/DP11 on w10?

Post by busle »

it sounds like you were able to get that sorted...what did the trick, if it's not too much trouble? I have the same issue and gave up and went back to other DAWs.

their lack of response to support tickets is a real shame. even if the new version fixes the problem, I'm leery about giving them more money knowing their support is so terrible.
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by CharlzS »

pencilina wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:18 pm Hi,

I couldn't get waves GUIs unfrozen while passing audio after much brutal troubleshooting, wasted time and unresponsive Motu tech support in DP10. In DP10 I experienced frozen GUIs w/psp as well and some elements in soundtoys not working.
Have windows users tried DP11 and if so how are your plugins doing, specifically waves?
Thanks in advance

B
There's been some improvement in the validation of VST3 plugs. Only a couple of my Waves plugs do not validate whereas before it was a bunch. All of my Softube plugs validate now - before it was none. I've made VST3 my primary now and only select the VST2 plugs not available as VST3. They've also improved the UI - different method of font drawing and scalable list fonts - no more fuzzy UI fonts. So some major improvement under the hood. Demo 11 and see if your problems persist. I would recommend deleting your VST/VST3 plug caches to force a revalidation of all the plugs.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

busle wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:37 am it sounds like you were able to get that sorted...what did the trick, if it's not too much trouble? I have the same issue and gave up and went back to other DAWs.

their lack of response to support tickets is a real shame. even if the new version fixes the problem, I'm leery about giving them more money knowing their support is so terrible.
Hi Busie, I ended up not being able to use most of my plugins on my win laptop and keep my desktop (which is a dual boot hackntosh) running Mojave. I'm curious did you report the problem to MOTU? Did they ignore you as well?
CharlzS wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:16 am
There's been some improvement in the validation of VST3 plugs. Only a couple of my Waves plugs do not validate whereas before it was a bunch. All of my Softube plugs validate now - before it was none. I've made VST3 my primary now and only select the VST2 plugs not available as VST3. They've also improved the UI - different method of font drawing and scalable list fonts - no more fuzzy UI fonts. So some major improvement under the hood. Demo 11 and see if your problems persist. I would recommend deleting your VST/VST3 plug caches to force a revalidation of all the plugs.
H I CharlzS,

That's definitely encouraging. I'm very glad to hear you're having good luck. I had the same thought about trying a demo and wanted to see if 11 resolved any of my plugin GUI issues but I couldn't run a demo because I think I already had 10 installed. In my support ticket I asked if any changes were made in 11 that might solve the problem but still haven't heard back and bet I'll keep getting ignored. I've got a few projects going now, my hackintosh is rocking so my urge to upgrade or change anything is close to zero and my motivation to experiment is even less.
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

pencilina wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:51 am I had the same thought about trying a demo and wanted to see if 11 resolved any of my plugin GUI issues but I couldn't run a demo because I think I already had 10 installed.
If you complete the email and name entries in the auth dialog, you should be able to select demo. It's greyed out until those entries are filled.
busle

Post by busle »

pencilina wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:51 am
busle wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:37 am it sounds like you were able to get that sorted...what did the trick, if it's not too much trouble? I have the same issue and gave up and went back to other DAWs.

Hi Busie, I ended up not being able to use most of my plugins on my win laptop and keep my desktop (which is a dual boot hackntosh) running Mojave. I'm curious did you report the problem to MOTU? Did they ignore you as well?
hey, thanks for responding, much appreciated! I feared that might be your answer. there are several plugins that I have no desire to stop using, so unfortunately that was a dealbreaker for me with DP.

and yes, and yes, to your questions. I even went so far as to send MOTU support additional information that I came across as I was trying to get things working, on multiple occasions. never a peep in return. sad to say, but I’d have been happier with their support if they’d just said “yeah, we know that’s an issue, but don’t care enough to do anything about it.” at least it would’ve been an honest actual response. 😅
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

Charlzs,

I tried the demo. Thanks for the tip. Fonts looked really great. Usual suspect plug in GUIs were as frozen as ever. On first launch I couldn't even close a waves plugin window and had to force quit in the task manager. DP seemed slower then usual and even crashed. I changed the graphic settings. No improvement.

Busie,

I'm very sorry MOTU treated you the same way they treated me. I'm also sorry you don't have a dual boot scenario to retreat to, as I do, if DP is your DAW of choice.

I hope others have better luck.I continue to give up on this and I do not consider windows a viable platform to run DP on if a user expects similar plugin compatibility as in other DAWs or in DP running on a apple OS. IMO, MOTU has a problem on its hands and has chosen to keep it swept under the rug. It would seem that MOTU admitting there is a problem would be acknowledging there is one and then having to take responsibility to fix it which is demonstrably not a priority or maybe even a concern for them.
Last edited by pencilina on Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
busle

Post by busle »

ah, wow, thanks for demoing and letting us know. again, what a shame. thankfully I’ve got Ableton still, and Reason, so it’s fine that DP is essentially broken on PC, for me. if they’re not even going to try to address such fundamental problems, they shouldn’t even be selling it for PC—or at least not allowing third party plugins.
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

pencilina wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:14 pm I tried the demo. Thanks for the tip. Fonts looked really great. Usual suspect plug in GUIs were as frozen as ever. On first launch I couldn't even close a waves plugin window and had to force quit in the task manager. DP seemed slower then usual and even crashed. I changed the graphic settings. No improvement.
Sorry to hear that. One new thing you could try if you haven't already is Live Performance Mode (new in 11) in the Setup menu to see if it has something to do with pre-gen. Also, If you're on Waves 12, I deleted all of the waveshell files and the ran a repair in Waves Central. The Waves updates have not removed previous shell versions. I had five shells and a repair only replaced the most recent, so one shell for all plugs. I delete the vst/vst3 caches and revalidate plugs with each new version of DP in case there were any unadvertised improvements.
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

Charlzs,

Thanks again for another tip. Pre-gen sounds like a good guess. In my case the plug-ins are working just not adjustable or dynamically viewable when processing audio. If I remember correctly the frozen waves GUIs on your system disappeared with graphics settings power mode changes and that most of your ongoing issues were with validation (which I also experienced but managed to solve). Am I right? I think I might be trying to climb a different tree and my patience is so thin at this point I want to avoid wasting any more time. Also, the problem for me isn’t just with waves.

I think I'm going to forgo "upgrading" DP and plugins for as long as possible and basically keep my desktop machine "frozen" at 10.14.6 and keep on cranking. I can keep enjoying Bitwig's innovative momentum on my laptop and I might start pecking away at learning R$%^*er if I want to hammer at learning something technical as the last couple versions of DP haven't offered much of use or interest to me.
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

Yes validation was the main problem, but now with V12 and DP11 things are worse here. I guess just because the validation went well I got excited. I just ran a couple of tests and VST3 on my laptop are exhibiting the same issues that you are having. It's odd - the controls work, but no visual. You can hear the changes in audio. VST2 on the laptop works as before, but controls are sluggish and jumpy. VST3 on my Z Workstation work, but with the same sluggish, jumpy controls. The laptop is dual graphics and the Z is Intel chipset graphics. The Waves UI is definitely butting heads with DP. I've been moving away from Waves so the Windows issues are not pressing here - I have my Softube plugs and everything else working well on both boxes.
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

I wasn't using DP10 so I can 't compare, but I can say that pretty much none of VST3 plugin are getting past validation in DP11....it just crashes DP11 over and over again, while attempting to examine VST3 plugins....gave up on it for now...will stick with VST2/AU/MAS
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

Dewdman,
Just to be clear, your issues are on windows, is that correct?
Thx
Last edited by pencilina on Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

No Mac
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

Just to follow up. I updated to the latest version of windows. Same problems. Also problems with Arturia Wurli (latest version) wont load VST2 and its VST3 stops passing audio after changing presets. I followed up on my tech notes to MOTU as still have yet to hear a peep from them. As I read other threads here about limited Apple HW options and massive plugin incompatibilities on AS It seems like windows should be part of the conversation as a fallback or alternative but it sees unviable.

I'm curious, If anyone out there has their waves or PSP plugins working properly on DP in windows 10 could you please chime in?

Thanks,

B