Any better plugin/waves compatibly w/DP11 on w10?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
etl17
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Any better plugin/waves compatibly w/DP11 on w10?

Post by etl17 »

I have a lot of plug-in issues with DP 11 and Win 10. Many of the Waves plugins fail the test. It seems that the VST compatibility remained the same between DP 10 and 11 on the Windows platform.
DP 9, Win 7 64bit, 24GB RAM, RME HDSPe / Digiface, UAD 2, Powercore x8, HUI, 1 million plugins!
pencilina
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by pencilina »

etl17 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:59 pm I have a lot of plug-in issues with DP 11 and Win 10. Many of the Waves plugins fail the test. It seems that the VST compatibility remained the same between DP 10 and 11 on the Windows platform.
Copy. So Its not just me and Charlzs having issues.....

Did you report this to MOTU?
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
etl17

Post by etl17 »

Yes, I have in past (DP 10), to no avail.
But, seriously, do I need to report that some of the most popular Waves plugins are failing to load? Given how popular Waves plugins are, I would assume that they are a standard for in-house testing before a DP release. Perhaps this is wishful thinking... But yes, I do have reported the plug-in compatibility issues over the years.
DP 9, Win 7 64bit, 24GB RAM, RME HDSPe / Digiface, UAD 2, Powercore x8, HUI, 1 million plugins!
pencilina

Any better plugin/waves compatibly w/DP11 on w10?

Post by pencilina »

I agree. DP on windows and the way MOTU handles it, is terrible and frustrating.
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
Oleg Vostyakov

Post by Oleg Vostyakov »

etl17 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:59 pm I have a lot of plug-in issues with DP 11 and Win 10. Many of the Waves plugins fail the test. It seems that the VST compatibility remained the same between DP 10 and 11 on the Windows platform.
All of my tries of using waves plugins failed too! I think it is impossible to use them!
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

Anyone try using Waves V13 on DP 11.x yet? I'm not willing to WUP until this is all worked out, so unfortunately no V13 here.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

Very oddly some of my V11 plugins started working in DP10 on my laptop. Why??...I have no idea and no motivation to find out. If anyone want me to check anything specific and report back. As an aside, I tried using a new Presonus 1824c and was shocked at how buggy, crappy and generally unprofessional the mix/driver SW is compared to the MOTU and RME products I've been using for decades and I'm going to return it so I'm not without a little MOTU appreciation in light of how annoying this waves problem is.
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

Michael Shuman wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:10 pm VST3 man. Usebillity and multiplicativity!
Anoyanazility and inepOTUbility

Does that mean your Waves plugins are working?
If so, can you please be specific about what version of windows, DP and waves you're using so that some of us may benefit from your exceptional good fortune.

Using VST3 made no difference on my machines.
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

DP 11.03

• Fixed a Windows bug that could cause certain third-party plugin GUIs to become unresponsive during playback.

Finally figured it out! :woohoo:
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

Hallelujah!

Did you test it yet?
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

Tried three VST3 plugs and all appeared good. Had one glitch, but I was getting carried away.
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

Thanks Charlzs Were those Waves running in a project under a decent processor load? What was the Glitch? Any luck with vst 2?
Anyone else have any luck?
I'd test this myself but can't run 11 in demo again and don't want to buy 11 unless its working properly.
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

I think if you contact MOTU they'll give you another 30 days if requested. Better you're certain with your own setup before the investment. I did not try VST2 - I only use VST2 that don't have a VST3 equivalent.
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

Trial period extended and most of my vst plugins are working. Vintage warmer's needles are missing and and NI solid comp LEDs are MIA but at least I can see knob moves on these. It seems like a huge improvement. I'll keep testing.
iTrensharo

Post by iTrensharo »

CharlzS wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:02 pm I think if you contact MOTU they'll give you another 30 days if requested. Better you're certain with your own setup before the investment. I did not try VST2 - I only use VST2 that don't have a VST3 equivalent.
VST Compatibility is in flux and can change depending on what machine you're running on. It seemed fine when I purchased from my Laptop while away, until I started getting updates from companies like Native Instruments, iZotope, etc. Then, plug-ins started disappearing from the plug-in chooser.

When I got home, it didn't support my ASIO driver (had to buy a new interface) and I have had nothing but issues with VST Plugins.

The VST plugin validation is not consistent across machines, or even on the same machine across VST Cache Clears - for VST2 or VST3. This also means that support is ultimately useless, because the Validator and Support is not consistent on any machine - not even theirs. Different machines will pass/fail the same plugins for unknown reasons. The same machine will pass a plugin that previously failed after a Cache Clear, or fail some that previously passed. Plug-ins that pass will not show up in the DAW (which to me, signals a failure, but the validator is for some reason flagging it as a pass)...

If you use more than one PC (i.e. Desktop + Laptop) this complicates things heavily. Double the amount of troubleshooting/fix it time you have to spend with DP.

My biggest issue is plugins not showing up in the plugin chooser. Having to reinstall things to get them to show up, immediately after updating them. Having to spend an hour+ enable/disable toggling plug-ins to get them to show up - and sometimes dealing with MAS Crashes while doing so. Some, I cannot get to show up at all, despite them Passing the plug-in validator (mostly comprising of Native Instruments, UJAM, iZotope plug-ins).

The fact that the entire validation system is a black box makes this incredibly frustrating, because you get no information - period - that is useful for troubleshooting these issues. No crash logs for the plugins that failed, nothing. So, even when contacting support... you have nothing to offer them other than a problem that they generally cannot fix or troubleshoot because the plug-in may "work for them."

If DP or your plugins update, plugins can disappear again, and you're back to square one. The recent DP 11.03 update has completely broken it for me, to the point that I've uninstalled and just won't bother with it. It's far too much work. There aren't enough hours in the day for me to mess with this anymore.

I can't speak on Waves, specifically, as I don't use their plug-ins.