Moving my studio. What should I do with dozens of software boxes??

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Moving my studio. What should I do with dozens of software boxes??

Post by FMiguelez »

Hello.
I had the movers bring everything to the new place. Now I see here dozens of beautiful/gorgeous software boxes (from before downloading huge libraries was the norm). I see my old VSL Orchestral Cube, Finale, DP, Kontakt, hundreds of Old Sony Acid CD loops, Spectrasonics stuff, etc. Too many boxes...

All these sample libraries are installed and backed up in triplicate... Yet I don't seem to be able to just throw all those boxes to the trash can. It must be a psychological thing... It feels I'm throwing away thousands of dollars, but I know I'm not since they ALL live in these little metal boxes called HDs.

Please tell me I'm just being dense and I'll be allright.

Would you keep them just "in case", or would you just throw them all out?
If so, would you damage the DVDs on purpose so they are not found by someone and used illegally? Or would you not bother and simply throw them out looking brand new? (We have in Mexico lots of people who make a living by scavanging people's trash, so you never. Know where things will turn up...)

I know this is probably silly, but I'm annoyed and feel conflicted by this. Or do you guys keep everything?
I must add that I also feel quite sad for leaving my beautiful studio... I will have to build a new one from scratch... :|
Maybe that's why I'm feeling burdened by this little thing? (little thing relative to the big issues the world faces today, of course)

:smash:

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
dix

Re: Moving my studio. What should I do with dozens of software boxes??

Post by dix »

FMiguelez wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:27 amPlease tell me I'm just being dense and I'll be allright.
This.

I keep my StudioVision v1.1 floppies on display in a hallowed place of reverence in my space, but other than that all the boxes and disks went to recycling maybe 5 years ago. I hung on to them for a long time for the same non-reasons you are, but it felt good to get rid of them once I did. I've yet to regret it.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I dealt with the same dilemma earlier this year, and ended up breaking down all the boxes for the recycle bin.

I couldn't find any that still act as proof of ownership at upgrade time, such as with Adobe products (you had to retain your earliest version!) way back.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

This came up for me a few years ago. Lots of boxes and lots of original CDs and DVDs all with multiple backup copies. I kept an original Cubase because it was huge and could hold a lot of stuff, and an original DP box because it was a DP box., and a few DVDs in a small case that goes in the Cubase box. Everything else went to recycling including about 1000 discs. I got over it in about 10 minutes.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The reclaimed shelf space was more valuable to me. The boxes I got with DP 2 and Logic 8 were huge.

I was able to sell Logic 8 and Logic 9 on eBay. Everything else has gone to recycling. Fortunately for me, Homestead High School's recycling program sends someone out when I have a pickup for them. Besides being my daughters' alma mater, a couple guys named Steve were Class of '68 (Woz) and '72 (Jobs). They always want what I got.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

You'll have to pry my DP paper manuals out of my cold, dead hands. Way too many notes in the margins that never made it to pdf.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Sounds like you've already identified the various emotional attachments that are connect to all this. Best wishes with your move and rebuild.

I've noticed that my purges come in stages:

1. Brand new, better keep it.
2. Still using, better keep it.
3. Might use it again, check box for serials, type them into my serials/codes main list.
4. Company, Platform, Media, no longer exists, put it in the little box.
5. Time to say goodbye.

The landfill aspect of some of this media is pretty nasty. Here's a product you will use for maybe 10-15 years (at best) stored on a disc that will last for a million years (?) I just checked and found out I can pay $3 per pound to recycle them (CD/DVD, but NOT the cases) at a local center for hard-to-recycle materials. I'm glad I looked.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Thanks for your comments, guys.

You gave me the "bit" I needed :)
Everything has been so sudden and I am totally overwhelmed with this unexpected studio situation.

I'm also going through old accounting boxes full of papers, old personal docs, etc. BUT IT'S SO WEIRD!!!! You know how when people die, usually family members go through their stuff to see what's to be kept and what is to be thrown away? I kinda feel like that going through my own stuff from when I got here from college, 2 decades ago, as if I had died and I'm a banshee looking at my life... :boohoo:

stubbsonic wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:47 am Sounds like you've already identified the various emotional attachments that are connect to all this. Best wishes with your move and rebuild.
Thanks, Stubbs.
If eveything goes smoothly, the new studio will probably be ready in a couple of months and operational in 3 tops. Hopefully....

I'm blasting Palestrina motets while I do this... It really helps.... The music is so stupefiyingly gorgeous!!!!!
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

FMiguelez wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:41 pm Thanks for your comments, guys.

I'm blasting Palestrina motets while I do this... It really helps.... The music is so stupefiyingly gorgeous!!!!!
A little something for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eysuHL0iiJQ
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

mikehalloran wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:17 pm
FMiguelez wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:41 pm Thanks for your comments, guys.

A little something for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eysuHL0iiJQ
Thank you for that, Mike! :)

I really enjoyed it; it's lovely.

Those cadences are killers.... Towards the middle you get that minor cadence, and seemingly out of nowhere, comes the final major cadence resolving all the previous tension, which gives the mode of the piece finally!

I LOVE the exchanges of cantizans and tenorizans among the parts in the cadences.

Palestrina was an unprecedented genious; at least of Bach's caliber and historical importance.

Just in case you don't know this YouTube channel, I really think you will, as a fellow Renaissance music lover, really enjoy it.
It's nicely researched and presented. He himself is one of the singers and al his friends/participants are top-level scholars.
It deals with modal theory, history, performance practices, basso continuo and, my VERY FAVOURITE, debates and controversies in the music practice of the time. He has dozens of such videos. Everything there comes straight from the original sources of the time.
Enjoy! :)

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCJOiqToQ7kiakqTLE7Hdd5g

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Thanks!

:band:
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I had a thought...take the best side of your favorite boxes and assemble a collage, suitable for framing and hanging on your new studio wall. :D
Tonio

Post by Tonio »

Brilliant HC :headbang:

Think I'll do that !

T
Mac Studio MAX 2TB/ 64GB RAM / DP11.2 / 828ES//
MP 5.1 3.33- 3 duo / OS10.14.6 / RX580 /DP10.13/828ES
frankf

Post by frankf »

FM, I’ve kept those software boxes myself. Too many. I might photo each one and put them in an album that I can play when I get nostalgic. :) the other side is that I got rid of keyboard boxes for my M1 and PC 88 and now that I could use them. I haven’t been able to find boxes that fit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

frankf wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:36 am FM, I’ve kept those software boxes myself. Too many. I might photo each one and put them in an album that I can play when I get nostalgic. :) the other side is that I got rid of keyboard boxes for my M1 and PC 88 and now that I could use them. I haven’t been able to find boxes that fit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I just sold a Motif ES6 on Reverb; although I sold it with a hardshell case, I had to make a box myself to ship it. What a pain! But who has space for old keyboard boxes?