In praise of Time Machine

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

In praise of Time Machine

Post by Phil O »

I had a 1TB ssd that is my working drive for all in-progress DP projects die on me. No warning - just phttt.

Time Machine saved my butt. Just sayin'. If you're not using Time Machine, you should!!

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Guitar Gaz

Re: In praise of Time Machine

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Totally agree - Time Machine is great - just got a second hard drive for backup on Time Machine - but it has saved me many times. I can also recommend Microsoft One Drive - you get 1TB cloud backup free if you subscribe to Microsoft 365 - it seems to work well too for file backups.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
leigh

Re: In praise of Time Machine

Post by leigh »

Yes! At the studio I have a 12GB main TM backup drive and two 12GB rotating off-site drives. When they get full, I replace them and keep the old ones. These old TM drives once really saved me.

It's good to try the occasional restore to make sure they are still readable because sometimes they aren't and it's better to know before you need to use them.

**Leigh
I don't care what you play. I care how you play.— Karl Berger

iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W, 128GB RAM, Mac OS X 14.2, DP 11.3
VSL, VE Pro 7, MIR Pro 3D, UVI Falcon, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Ozone 9 Advanced, RX 8 Advanced, Dorico 5, Metric Halo ULN-8-3D mkiv, ULN-2-3D & 2882-3D interfaces, Novation Impulse-49, various mics