MIDI Program Change Problem in DP 9 & 10

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
JeffatMOTUN
Primary DAW OS: Windows

MIDI Program Change Problem in DP 9 & 10

Post by JeffatMOTUN »

I was hoping the MIDI program change issue I had in DP 9 might have been resolved in 10, but no joy. I will recount the details using a simple setup and example.

Windows 10 running DP 10. One MIDI track containing events such as program change, controllers 7 (volume), 10 (pan), and others, as well as MIDI notes and velocities sending to a Roland JV-1010 (similar to 1080). The program change includes bank select information of 81 and 3 as stipulated in the manual. The Default Program of the track is set to the same program change as the event in the track. In the Bundles setup I have the Roland JV-1010 setup to receive ALL MIDI, including program change, on all 16 basic channels. Event Chasing includes program change as well.

The problem is that all controllers and notes are sent/received from the MIDI track EXCEPT the program change. The Default Program has no effect UNTIL I manually re-select the Default Program setting. It then sends the program change and that track functions properly until I close and reopen the DP file and/or reset the MIDI channel to default or some other program sound.

If I save the MIDI track, or group of tracks, to a .MID file and play that with a basic MIDI player, all controllers, INCLUDING program change, are sent since the program change is a MIDI event in the track.

Why is it that the only way I can send a MIDI program change from DP is to manually select or re-select the Default Program setting?

Thanks
Windows 10 Pro
Digital Performer 10.13
Kontakt 5 Virtual Instruments
Lounge Lizard EP-4 Virtual Keyboards
EZKeys Virtual Keyboards
Superior Drummer Virtual Percussion
Waves v13 Plugins
Lurssen Mastering Console Software
FrankD
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MIDI Program Change Problem in DP 9 & 10

Post by FrankD »

I don't know why your default patch isn't working, but you can insert a MIDI program change event anywhere you want in the track.

I would do this in the Event List for the track, but you can do it in the MIDI Editor as well.
peace,
Frank Dickinson
90 East Productions
Our "lockdown" videos!
JeffatMOTUN
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: MIDI Program Change Problem in DP 9 & 10

Post by JeffatMOTUN »

Thanks for relying Frank but I did mention that I already have a program change event in the track as well as the matching Default Program. By your comment I suppose you are confirming that on Mac OS this problem does not exist?
Windows 10 Pro
Digital Performer 10.13
Kontakt 5 Virtual Instruments
Lounge Lizard EP-4 Virtual Keyboards
EZKeys Virtual Keyboards
Superior Drummer Virtual Percussion
Waves v13 Plugins
Lurssen Mastering Console Software