New Mac Options

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

AsensoryMusic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

New Mac Options

Post by AsensoryMusic »

Greetings!

I have reached the point that I am starting to see software (VIs/plugins, etc) come out that I cannot access due to my Mac being just a little too old. I can't upgrade beyond 10.12x (as far as I know) and that is starting to be a problem. Anyone who has shopped the new line up of desktop Macs (Mac Pro) has probably had the same response I did ... YIKES. The machines look great and seem to be quite powerful, but you have to mortgage the house or sell a car to buy one. They are priced so disgustingly high ... its pretty astonishing.

So what are the options? The ashtray Macs are silly ... no drive bays? I will eventually have to upgrade from my late 2009 5,1 (upgraded from 4,1) and I need to know where to look. Is there a source online or otherwise that is trusted the good folks here?

As usual, many thanks in advance for the help!
HCMarkus

Re: New Mac Options

Post by HCMarkus »

Your 5,1 can go to Mojave if you have a Metal-compatible GPU. If you have yet to upgrade your CPU(s), take your machine to X5680(s)... they cost under $40/each these days.

If you don't want to go there, I'd suggest looking into an M1 Mac Mini. Although DP is not yet supported, it is sure to soon be.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Likewise, if not willing to upgrade the GPU, you can run High Sierra. If still running a mechanical HDD, SATA III SSDs are inexpensive and give a major performance while waiting for the right Mac from Apple or the budget to come together..
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
AsensoryMusic

Post by AsensoryMusic »

Looks like some good options ... I am not too inclined to move to a Mac Mini with no drive bays, etc. That's why I got a Mac Pro to begin with. I have another thread on replacing the boot drive on my Mac Pro, on which Mike responded as well. Maybe its time to do a more comprehensive upgrade.

The 5680 is the Xeon 3.33 MHz 6-core, no? I think that's what is in the machine now. It is a 6-core/3.33 MHz processor but not sure if it is that exact model. If that is what it has, is there an upgrade that is possible to do yourself?
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

You can go to an X5690, but will gain only 4%... not worth the cost IMHO.

and, by the way, DP is now Apple Silicon compatible.

As far as not want to use external drives, unless you want to move to PC or spend $$$$ on a Mac Pro, there is currently no avoiding external drives, at least for backup. You can put a big ol' SSD in any current Mac that may be enough internal storage for everything. Who knows what Apple will give us in the next Mac Pro, or what it will cost.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

HCMarkus wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:51 pm there is currently no avoiding external drives, at least for backup. …
With Time Machine, that backup can be a direct connection, Ethernet or WiFi. Direct connection depends in the Mac, of course. My TM drives are over Ethernet in a different room — the laptops access those same drives via WiFi.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Renaissance Man

Post by Renaissance Man »

I'm in the same boat with my early 2008 Intel Mac. The last available OS is El Captain - which leaves me in the dust as far as any software or plug-in upgrades. I waited patiently for the new Mac towers but am STILL choking at the price tag. The Minis are not EVEN on my radar due to the aforementioned storage issues plus the lack of PCIe card slots. Apple has really given the middle finger to a whole market of serious creative users with the new line of towers. And I can't bear the thought of Windows in the studio... What to do?
Mac Pro Mid 2012 12-core 3.46GHz, 128GB RAM, SSD, Mojave, DP11; Waves Mercury & SSL 4000 Collection, SyncroArts VocAlign Project 3, EastWest Quantum Leap Pianos & Voices of Soul, Nomad Factory Integral Studio Pack, BBE D82 Sonic Maximizer, Slate Digital VCC, RC Tube and Trigger, MOTU PCIe 424, 3-2408Mk3's, 24io, MTP AV USB, Apogee A/D & Big Ben, CraneSong HEDD 192, ATC monitors, tons of outboard & microphones, MIDI/keyboard rig, house drums & tuned percussion...
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

If your current Mac Pro is strong enough to provide adequate performance for you, look into Open Core. I believe your Mac Pro could run it, but a new GPU might be required.

Another option is move to a 5,1 12 Core Mac Pro, (which can also run Open Core and move beyond Mojave) if you want to at least double your Mac horsepower, yet retain compatibility with your current software and hardware. I've got two 12 cores which, judging from recent lack of interest on eBay, have finally lost most of their market appeal. So you should be able to pick one up on the cheap if you want to take this route.

Here is an Open Core Guide for the 5,1: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/op ... o.2207814/

And though the software compatibility and PCIe issues are troublesome, a stack of external drives isn't the end of the world if you want to go with an M1 Mac Mini. I'd wait until November if taking this route, as rumors have Apple bringing forth an updated CPU (M1X?) that can address more RAM and a greater number of ports directly. And the longer you wait, the more software will become M1-Native. We are there with DP11, but a lot of plugins and VIs are lagging.

Personally, I am very excited about the future of Apple hardware. Yes, some adjustments will have to be made as it is doubtful that Apple will ever release an affordable "Perfect Audio Mac", but even the current M1-powered machines provide tremendous bang for the buck.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

HCMarkus wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:47 am… some adjustments will have to be made as it is doubtful that Apple will ever release an affordable "Perfect Audio Mac", but even the current M1-powered machines provide tremendous bang for the buck.
This is as close as Apple has released a Perfect Audio Mac to date:
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/G14 ... d1629e71c2

Add up to 128GB RAM
https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory ... 19-27-inch

It is not the perfect AV Mac, however. The iMac Pro, Mac Pro or any of the 8 Core M1s smokes it on video — only reason I don’t use mine. I bought one for my wife before I bought my current 18 core iMP and tested it for my work against my 14 core iMP. DP was great but video rendering … when billing by the hour, Time = $$$ and the 2020 iMac wasn’t up to what I needed.

The notion that multiple drives is anyhow better than one ignores how SATA and SSDs work. Multiple drives was better with the G4 and ATA 100 drives but hasn’t been since. Anyway, that iMac has 8TB onboard storage.

Time Machine needs to be on a separate drive (or multiples), of course but that can be done over WiFi and Ethernet. I do both

I’m waiting for an Apple Silicon iMac with a decent sized screen and 8TB onboard. They build it and I’m there. 4TB in my current iMP is not doing it for me—too much time swapping projects in and out — otherwise, performance is everything I could want … for now.
Renaissance Man

Post by Renaissance Man »

It appears that "This guide is aimed at systems with the following specifications: Mac Pro model Early 2009 with MacPro5,1 firmware,* Mid 2010 or Mid 2012." My machine is an early 2008.
Mac Pro Mid 2012 12-core 3.46GHz, 128GB RAM, SSD, Mojave, DP11; Waves Mercury & SSL 4000 Collection, SyncroArts VocAlign Project 3, EastWest Quantum Leap Pianos & Voices of Soul, Nomad Factory Integral Studio Pack, BBE D82 Sonic Maximizer, Slate Digital VCC, RC Tube and Trigger, MOTU PCIe 424, 3-2408Mk3's, 24io, MTP AV USB, Apogee A/D & Big Ben, CraneSong HEDD 192, ATC monitors, tons of outboard & microphones, MIDI/keyboard rig, house drums & tuned percussion...
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Renaissance Man wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:14 am It appears that "This guide is aimed at systems with the following specifications: Mac Pro model Early 2009 with MacPro5,1 firmware,* Mid 2010 or Mid 2012." My machine is an early 2008.
I know. But if you are truly interest and willing send a little time with Google, you will likely be able to find more about the subject.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

mikehalloran wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:05 am This is as close as Apple has released a Perfect Audio Mac to date:
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/G14 ... d1629e71c2
Not if you don't want an all-in-one. (Also, big $$$$... If money is no object, there is the Mac Pro 7,1.) But, yes, a nice computer for audio, no doubt!

I'm thinking an M1X Mac mini might be wonderful, and a LOT less expensive! Time will tell.
kenrinc

Post by kenrinc »

HCMarkus wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:02 pm I'm thinking an M1X Mac mini might be wonderful, and a LOT less expensive! Time will tell.
Agreed. All-in-one is not an option for me as I'm already invested in monitors. My MP 5,1 has been my lifeblood for 10 years but it's showing it's age even with GPU/TitanRidge. An M1 with a usable chunk of RAM is what I'm considering so I'll wait a bit. I don't have an issue with moving my MP drives to an external TB enclosure. I'll take time at that point to consolidate a bit and reduce the number but increase size.

$.02

Ken-
My Gear: MacPro 2.8ghz Quad (2010), 12 GB RAM, 4 internal HDs, OS 10.6.5, DP 7.21, MOTU 2408mkIII, MTP AV
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

I am of the opinion that Apple has once again abandoned their Pro line to a single version, just like they did with the trashcan, which also NEVER had a 2nd version. So they finally made a new Mac Pro, only to re invent their chips, leaving users with a 50,000 machine that is already out of date. I do not want to spend 50k on a computer who's CPU is already a thing of the past for apple.

So for me, the plan is to wait until there is a NEW Mac Pro with the NEW M1 chips, plenty of RAM and Pro slots and connections.

Who agrees? Who disagrees?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
tremo

Post by tremo »

toodamnhip wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:06 pm So for me, the plan is to wait until there is a NEW Mac Pro with the NEW M1 chips, plenty of RAM and Pro slots and connections.

Who agrees? Who disagrees?
Agree 100%. It's what I'm waiting for as well. But if it's not significantly more affordable than the 7,1, I'll have to go for a Mini or a MacBook Pro with a bunch of external devices.
Mac Studio Max | 32GB | 14.4.1 | 828es | M4 | DP 10.13 | Studio One 6.6 | Logic 10.8