Machfive crashing please help

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
akcrogan01
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Machfive crashing please help

Post by akcrogan01 »

This is a repost from the machfive forum, no response there so thought I'd try my luck here

Hi
I've spent days now trying to get machfive 3.2.1 working on my new HP Elitebook 850. Problem is when ever I select a sample to edit, (any sample from any instrument) Machfive will disappear. Also if I attempt to load an IR reverb I get the same result.
It runs perfectly on my desktop, I've reinstalled windows (twice now!), tried running from external and internal drives, tried running in admin mode, turned off bitlocker, tried running with out usb soundcard, I just cant figure it out.

The laptop is running an intel I7 1165G7 with 32gb ram and a 2tb nvme ssd with a Presonus Audiobox 44VSL usb soundcard.

Please any help would be so much appreciated feel like there must be a simple solution that Im missing.
cheers
derek
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Machfive crashing please help

Post by FMiguelez »

MOTU hasn't touched MachFive3 for years. It's basically abandonware, like lots of its apps.

I'm on a Mac, and every time I use it is crash galore. The VST version seems less crash-prone than the AU version in my case.

I wouldn't waste too much time with it, as it seems MOTU won't do anything with it anymore; perhaps you should get another sampler (there's a company, forgot its name, that has one that is extremely similar to MF, but much better).
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

You're thinking of UVI Falcon? It works well with all my old Mach 5 libraries and patches. Might be worth contacting them first and telling them you're upgrading from Mach 5. I did and got for quite a bit less than the usual pricing.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:52 am You're thinking of UVI Falcon? It works well with all my old Mach 5 libraries and patches. Might be worth contacting them first and telling them you're upgrading from Mach 5. I did and got for quite a bit less than the usual pricing.
A recent thread on this subject.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=68574&p=581240&hili ... de#p581240

If you used the MV3 synth, run some demos on the UVI site, then contact them with your M53 ser# (in your MOTU account) of for your temporary discount code. You should already have a UVI account since you needed it to enable the extra libraries and effects when you bought MachFive3.
https://www.uvi.net/falcon.html
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
akcrogan01

Post by akcrogan01 »

Thanks for replies not really what I was hoping to hear, I'll look into falcon but not keen on learning new software, also I need the freedom of tuning that machfive offered as I use my own customised tuning setups.
Anyway I'll look into falcon but I just don't understand why mv3 works on my desktop but not the laptop?
Thanks again
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

akcrogan01 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:22 pm Thanks for replies not really what I was hoping to hear, I'll look into falcon but not keen on learning new software, also I need the freedom of tuning that machfive offered as I use my own customised tuning setups.
Anyway I'll look into falcon but I just don't understand why mv3 works on my desktop but not the laptop?
Thanks again
Falcon is an evolution of MachFive from the same development team. No reason to believe the functionality you are looking for isn't there. That's what demos are for.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
ronjams

Post by ronjams »

Please make sure that you are using the minimum requirements for Mach V 3 otherwise it will not work also make sure you were using the proper operating system one more thing make sure you are using the correct library or I should say the correct version of that sample library.
Mac Studio M1 Max DIGITAL PERFORMER1248/8pre ESFalcon/kontakt/Unify & A LOT MORE GEAR
ronjams

Post by ronjams »

There’s also a way to right-click on the sample library to check the integrity of the library
Mac Studio M1 Max DIGITAL PERFORMER1248/8pre ESFalcon/kontakt/Unify & A LOT MORE GEAR
akcrogan01

Post by akcrogan01 »

Thanks of coarse your right I'll give the falcon demo a try.

Definitely no problem with system requirements (I've listed them in my first post) and it's using a freshly installed up to date win 10 install.
Cheers
akcrogan01

Post by akcrogan01 »

Can't seem to find a demo for the UVI Falcon, any chance of posting a link?
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

akcrogan01 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:35 am Can't seem to find a demo for the UVI Falcon, any chance of posting a link?
Since, like M53, it requires iLok, UVI can grant a temporary license for evaluation. Likewise, they can confirm if Falcon does what you need. As many of us have found, they’re responsive to customer requests. Ask them.

The only MachFive functionality missing that I know is support for certain older file types such as Kontakt 4—never an issue for me.
akcrogan01

Post by akcrogan01 »

Just to let you know, after emailing UVI they do not have a demo available nor do they grant limited time evaluations but if I buy the program they will (apparently this is an exception) refund me if it doesn't load my mf3 instruments properly.
Seems not a particularly helpful way of doing things but I don't really have a choice. The crossgrade discount is significant at least so that helps.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

akcrogan01 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:10 am Just to let you know, after emailing UVI they do not have a demo available
They probably consider the free version to be the demo.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:25 am
akcrogan01 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:10 am Just to let you know, after emailing UVI they do not have a demo available
They probably consider the free version to be the demo.
I assume he's referring to the UVI Player which is free. Good suggestion. Although it does not have the synth and time/pitch functionality of MV or Falcon, it should open all of your MV3 libraries as long as your iLok is plugged in. It won't open certain old file types that only MachFive could.

The limited VI library that you can download for use with DP 10 and 11 uses the free UVI Player, also downloadable from MOTU. It's a subset of the MV3 libraries which makes that library redundant for those of us with MachFive 3.

Otherwise, you have a refund offer on the table. They're daring you not to love Falcon—good luck with that. Also, you'll be entitled to tech support. You can use the $100 voucher on other UVI libraries and effects besides Falcon add-ons.

I haven't touched MachFive since I took the plunge last year. Just sayin'
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:53 amI haven't touched MachFive since I took the plunge last year
Same here. Took a while to get it to display libraries the way I want but otherwise, a transparent change. It's difficult to think of a control routing that you can't do with it, and if you want to do more, it's scriptable.