Six reasons why I love DP (and a few things I wish were better)

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
schmargle
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Six reasons why I love DP (and a few things I wish were better)

Post by schmargle »

I started using DP around 2000—I think 2.7 was the first version I bought. I wanted to do some basic multi-track editing at home to avoid paying an engineer for the time-consuming process of fine-tuning my drum performances. I chose DP largely because Pro Tools at the time required a hardware interface, and I just wanted to use headphones and a laptop.

Over the years, I’ve used a variety of other DAWs, including Pro Tools and Logic. And frankly, I use Logic more and more these days. But I keep coming back to DP for a few reasons.

1. Pitch correction.
I’ve used a number of other pitch correction/tuning plug-ins, including Auto-Tune and the built-in tuning within Logic. I’ve also tried the scaled-back version of Melodyne about 15 years ago. But I almost always use DP for tuning vocals (in particular, the PureDSP version of pitch correction).

I love that it’s built into the track. I don’t have to export a file to a plug-in (as I think I had to with Melodyne when I tried it) or bounce a track little by little (as I had to do with Auto-Tune in the graphical mode years ago). And best of all, DP tuning sounds great—it sounds so much cleaner than, say, the built-in tuning with Logic, which leaves ugly artifacts.

2. Plug-ins.
I don’t own a ton of plug-ins. I use a handful of plug-ins from Waves and a few other companies, but I often use stock plug-ins with DAWs. And a few DP plug-ins are indispensable to me, including the MW Leveler (my go-to for snare drums), MW Equalizer, and ProVerb. I remember years ago, MOTU sold a MasterWorks Collection (https://motu.com/products/software/mwc) so you could use these plug-ins in other DAWs. I’m guessing MOTU hasn’t updated this collection, but it’s a great idea, because these plug-ins sound excellent.

3. That DP “sound.”
OK, I know there is not really a “sound” for each DAW—and I’ve done numerous tests to confirm that DP is not actually coloring tracks in any way when you just play them back. But I like the way my tracks sound in DP. I suspect I hear the difference mainly when I use DP plug-ins. I hear more space, depth, and dynamics—a smoother, more open sound than with other DAWs. (I also wondered whether differences in pan law affected my perception of a different sound, but my tests on that front were inconclusive.)

Now, I don’t always want that sound. If I want an in-your-face pop sound, I tend to go with Logic. I like the Logic compressors, and I think that contributes (for me) to a more punchy, pop sound. But for any music that needs space, depth, and dynamics, it’s DP all the way.

4. Workflows.
When I first started using DP more than 20 years ago, I loved offline bouncing. For many years, Pro Tools only offered real-time bouncing. Some people like that—they like to hear their mix one last time as they bounce. But while that’s fine for a three-minute rock song, it’s not great when you have, say, a two-hour concert you want to bounce…especially if you decide you want to make just one little change in that two-hour concert.

At the other end of the production cycle, I’ve always thought that it’s incredibly easy to create stems with DP. When I’m ready to archive a project, I create stereo stems (of individual instruments or groups of instruments) by soloing and bouncing, then I create mono stems of unprocessed tracks. And with DP, it is so easy to just merge everything within a track and create that mono stem.

5. Editing
When I first started using DP, editing was sluggish compared with Pro Tools. But with software updates (and faster hard drives and more memory), editing became a breeze. And I now prefer editing in DP so much more than in Logic. To me, editing in Logic is infuriating. DP lets me make as many tiny changes as necessary, easily.

6. Deep feature set (that I rarely use).
Whenever I think “Man, I wish DP did x,” I later learn that it does do that, and has done that for like 10 years. DP has such a deep feature set. I use only a small portion of it. If there’s one criticism here, it’s that MOTU marketing doesn’t brag enough about all the great things that DP can do!

Things I wish DP did better
I love DP, but I don’t use it as much as I did 5 or 10 years ago. I almost always use Logic to start and (increasingly) to finish projects. And of course, when I’m doing projects with professional studios, I still use Pro Tools from time to time.

We all have a dozen items on our DP wish list, but for me, there are a few broad categories of things that DP could do better.

1. More built-in instruments.
I start projects in Logic because of the huge number of instruments and sounds readily available. I know DP has added access to more instruments in recent years, but Logic just has a much deeper well, and with Logic those instruments are better integrated into the DAW.

2. Better workflows.
There are a few workflows that I’d love to see in DP:
—Bouncing directly to Apple Music (formerly iTunes). With DP, I bounce a track, then drag it into Apple Music, where, within a few minutes, I can access it anywhere, on any device, because I have an Apple Music/Apple iTunes Match subscription. But Logic saves a step by doing that work of importing a bounced track automatically. I would love for MOTU to write that script into DP.
—Setting up instrument tracks and aux busses could be easier. Again, in Logic, this stuff is done automatically, and it’s a small thing that saves a bunch of time.

3. Easier collaboration with others.
I’ve done a lot of long-distance collaboration (especially in the last year). And there’s no way I can convince my friends to buy DP. But I have convinced them to buy Logic. There are a few issues here: Logic is much less expensive than DP (unlikely to be solved by MOTU anytime soon); Logic is already used by more people (no doubt because of cost); and Logic has so many built-in workflows and instruments, that (in my opinion) it’s easier to use for home recording beginners. l really hope MOTU figures out a way to better compete with Logic so that more people will embrace DP.

But if that doesn’t happen, MOTU might consider ways to simplify collaboration with people using other DAWs. Sharing stems is OK (I gave up on AAF/OMF a long time ago), but it’s not perfect.

Your favorite features?
OK, now it’s your turn. What do you like most about DP? What keeps you coming back?
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Six reasons why I love DP (and a few things I wish were better)

Post by bayswater »

What I like is the basic approach taken by DP. If you understand music, a mutitrack tape recorder, and a mixer with a lot of routing options, you can figure out most things in DP. Other DAWs, Logic in particular, introduce a lot of clever, but in the end, pointless new concepts that have little or nothing to do with any of those basic elements.

Improvements include updates to the drum, score, and waveform editors. All fine many years ago, but now clunky and annoying.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

bayswater wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:04 am Improvements include updates to the drum...[snip]...editors. All fine many years ago, but now clunky and annoying.
I get it, but I think you may have mentioned before that MOTU should just do away with the Drum Editor, and that really makes me nervous when you say that because I still get great use and value out of it. What's available now is still better than not having it at all (at least, for me). However, I really do agree that an update/overhaul would be very welcome.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

These comments are based on DP 9.

My favorite things about DP:

1. Flexibiliy
It's not just that DP has smartly implemented features, it is also configurable to many working approaches. In terms of MIDI and Composition Tools, especially, DP has a very "grown up" approach to rhythm, harmony and melody. It is adaptable to many, but not all styles of work. It is first and foremost a linear composition/recording tool. That said, it has some interesting/weird loop features.

2. Neutrality
DP let's you work creatively and it doesn't interfere or impose its own agenda on you (the way Logic does). Yes, there can be tedious tasks when setting things up, but DP makes it easy to create templates so the most tedious routing assignments and configuration tasks only need to get done once. If you are fine-tuning a template, it is fast to change it.

3. Intuitive/Consistent
DP has two things going for it, an elegantly intuitive approach, and very good documentation. It is especially noteworthy in contrast to Logic's worst-in-class documentation and hodge-podge approach. I rarely have to consult DP's docs and when I do, I find answers pretty quickly.

4. Comfortable
Though I have other apps for little tasks, I don't hesitate to open DP for even little things. I can get things done quickly and with ease.

My least favorite things about DP:

1. Crashy
YMMV. DP has been crashy for me, except for a brief period (DP 7 in Snow Leopard-- which seemed pretty stable). It seems like recently, the auto-saves have prevented me from losing much work.

2. Lasso Selection
It used to work perfectly, especially in the MIDI piano-roll editor. But some years ago, MOTU changed it, made it worse, and it has sucked ever since. I live with it, but I still miss how it was when it was fast and intuitive. I'm alone on this one.

3. Font/Element Size
As many have discussed, some screen fonts are tiny. For me, the only time it is bother some is when editing the Tempo Map, or note velocities.

GENERAL THOUGHTS
Though, there are things I'd improve about the MOTU plugins, like the Delay, etc. With so many 3rd party options, it's not that important. I'd like to see refinements and improvements with QuickScribe notation, but there is no getting around the need for 3rd party notation software.

I would have already updated to version 10, but the change in the way Loops are done is a little worrying to me. I use the current loop function often. If I'm forced to use the other loop process, I'll probably use the Edit/Repeat... or copy-paste much more often.

It is disappointing that DP is not higher on the list of popular DAWs considering it's many best-in-class features. While I would describe myself as "loyal" by nature, I choose and celebrate DP for the accomplishment that it is.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Tritonemusic wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:15 am
bayswater wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:04 am Improvements include updates to the drum...[snip]...editors. All fine many years ago, but now clunky and annoying.
I get it, but I think you may have mentioned before that MOTU should just do away with the Drum Editor, and that really makes me nervous when you say that because I still get great use and value out of it. What's available now is still better than not having it at all (at least, for me). However, I really do agree that an update/overhaul would be very welcome.
I wouldn't want the Drum editors removed -- just that it wouldn't matter to me if it is left as it is.
schmargle

Post by schmargle »

stubbsonic wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:49 am
4. Comfortable
Though I have other apps for little tasks, I don't hesitate to open DP for even little things. I can get things done quickly and with ease.
Oh yes, totally. When I need to edit a little bit of audio or bounce something quickly, I open DP.
stubbsonic wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:49 am My least favorite things about DP:

1. Crashy
YMMV. DP has been crashy for me, except for a brief period (DP 7 in Snow Leopard-- which seemed pretty stable). It seems like recently, the auto-saves have prevented me from losing much work.
Yes yes yes. I nearly included that. DP crashes for me A LOT. I recently discovered that one plug-in was causing a lot of crashes, but more issues have appeared.
stubbsonic wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:49 am
3. Font/Element Size
As many have discussed, some screen fonts are tiny. For me, the only time it is bother some is when editing the Tempo Map, or note velocities.
Totally agree. It's not just that I'm getting old (though that doesn't help)—but yeah, I have to increase the size of everything just to see what's going on.
stubbsonic wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:49 am It is disappointing that DP is not higher on the list of popular DAWs considering it's many best-in-class features. While I would describe myself as "loyal" by nature, I choose and celebrate DP for the accomplishment that it is.
Right on.
schmargle

Post by schmargle »

bayswater wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:04 am What I like is the basic approach taken by DP. If you understand music, a mutitrack tape recorder, and a mixer with a lot of routing options, you can figure out most things in DP. Other DAWs, Logic in particular, introduce a lot of clever, but in the end, pointless new concepts that have little or nothing to do with any of those basic elements.
Agreed. Now, in fact, those are some of the things that people like about Pro Tools too. Pro Tools always had elements that would be completely familiar to a traditional studio engineer. But I agree that Logic (despite its name!) doesn't always make sense if you're used to more traditional workflows.

...Of course, to me, something like Ableton Live never made sense at all, and yet lots of people love it. The incorporation of Live-like elements into DP and Logic seems like a good idea to keep people onboard, but those features aren't useful to me.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Yes, PT is the same in that respect. For some the question is whether you want to pay the premium, and deal with Avid. Along similar lines is Mixbus for some types of projects. Recent versions took it past a glorified channel strip plugin to an often usable DAW, and its much more stable than it was.

On crashiness, I've not had the problem with any versions from 7 to 10. It's odd that it happens with some and not others when they have more or less the same setup. Some have suggested the problem is not DP itself, but plugins.

Font size was an issue for me, but the new scaling feature fixed that. Sure, you make everything bigger to get the font readable, but most of the rest is graphics and can be zoomed out. Keyboard shortcuts are a big help here. It would be useful to make the fonts a view points larger -- they're never too big.
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

bayswater wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:51 amOn crashiness, I've not had the problem with any versions from 7 to 10.
I hung on to 7.24 for years because it was so solid for me. I jumped to 10 a few months ago, and am really thrilled with the general experience, thus far. I do keep my 3rd-party plugins down to a minimum and use "trusted" vendors like PSP, Soundtoys, etc. I think that might have a lot to do with it.
ed belknap

Post by ed belknap »

schmargle wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:39 pmWhenever I think “Man, I wish DP did x,” I later learn that it does do that, and has done that for like 10 years.
LOL! ^^^This literally made me laugh out loud.

schmargle wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:39 pmWhat keeps you coming back?
The fact that I never have to say “Man, I wish DP did x”

I made a deal with myself a number of years ago: As soon as I was losing work because my DAW software couldn't do something my clients demanded, I was gonna abandon DP and upgrade to ...well, something else. It just hasn't happened.

Now, admittedly that says as much (if not more) about my clients' needs, and my workflow, as it does about DP's capabilities. But still...what keeps me coming back is that it keeps working.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

I'll bite.

Reasons I love DP:

1. Chunks- the fact I can have multiple versions of the same song in different stages in the same project is huge to me. In other DAWs I've definitely been guilty of forgetting to rename various versions of a song, so a project might have 4-6 versions that I have to open one by one to find the "MIDI version" etc.

2. Automation types - I've never had that moment in DP where I thought "I wish I could modulate that", having various modulation curves available for any audio or MIDI capable parameter on anything is great.

3. The Tracks overview window- There are a lot of areas where DP could use some GUI improvements, but the Tracks window is just so much more clear on larger track counts than other DAWs.

4. Polar- I recently rediscovered this, top notch looping setup.

5. MIDI - In DP I can set up a Sequence Chunk to fire off a tune command for my older synths, and a SysEx Command with the preset so the song never loses the preset. the quantize features in DP are great.

6. I like that MOTU are interested in keeping DP going in multiple directions. This is probably one of the reasons for many users of other DAWs DP has a steep learning curve, but bear me out. DP is top notch for film/TV scoring, studio recording, and live performance. Most DAWs I've used are good at one of the three, but not so great at the other two. DP is on a mission to hit all three major categories. Bitwig which I do like a lot, is very geared towards electronic music and live performance, there's nothing in it to score to video, and I wouldn't want to use it for recording a rock band since the editing is all creative, not surgical.

A few things I wish were better:

First off, coming from Live and Bitwig, Clips in DP is just... weird. MOTU don't seems to understand the idea that people use Clips to perform, that in effect Clips can make your audio files and DAW into a Sampler. This is hard to explain if you haven't explored clips in other DAWs but the way they load into a clip pool as opposed to being able to override the current clip with the quantize setting is weird, it's cool, and useful but it would make sense to be able to make it work like other clip DAWs. That you need to populate empty clip slots with empty clips to prevent say the cowbell on the break from playing in the main part of the song is also counter every other clip DAW. I know it's still in it's infancy, but I would love to see them get this right, Clips along with Chunks is just too powerful of a combination.

The other thing is an elephant in the room, the bigger issue, UX. DP's UX is all over the place, and it's not getting better. I like the improvements to the Nanosampler, but they literally reworked the GUI and made it tiny. I'm on a retina macbook pro for the next couple weeks, and it's small, it doesn't get larger when you enlarge DP's GUI, and it's not resizable.

This is an endemic issue at this point, if anyone hasn't noticed Clips are HUGE compared to the rest of the GUI. In general the user experience is disjointed at this juncture, looping only works with Clips, Clips only are editable in their own MIDI or audio editor, they don't show up in Drum, Graphic, Score, Event etc. etc. editors. Track selection has always been a real PITA in terms of how it shows up in the Sequence Editor for instance, it's stuck on some growing selection, and no choice as to how this happens. Folders are great, love vanilla folders in DP, that you can't select them without a mouse, and you can't unfold them with a key command is?? (other DAWs allow this).

And I'll concede to the majority, it's been too many years now, plug in developers often don't even bother coding in the ability to control volume with CC7, there's not many good reasons left to not have at least one MIDI channel available on the plug in instrument itself. Every other DAW allows this, it's an industry standard at this point. I realize with Chunks and V-Racks this can cause some issues, but there are examples of how this can work, Vienna Ensemble Pro publishes automation data from plug ins to the host DAW even when it itself is hosted on another computer, so "track" or plug in automation is possible from V-Racks if the will/$$ was there.

But mostly UX, the same thing I love, that DP is doing all forms of DAW in one, is partially what's making it disjointed a bit right now. So to me the biggest improvements should be the little things, GUI tweaks, performance tweaks, and integrating clips into the workflow.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Tritonemusic wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:15 am I get it, but I think you may have mentioned before that MOTU should just do away with the Drum Editor, and that really makes me nervous when you say that because I still get great use and value out of it. What's available now is still better than not having it at all (at least, for me). However, I really do agree that an update/overhaul would be very welcome.
FYI DP 11 has addresses some of the buggy bits of Drum Editor. I haven't used it a lot since upgrading, but I've noticed that some of the annoying issues are gone. 8)

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Phil O wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:45 am
Tritonemusic wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:15 am
FYI DP 11 has addresses some of the buggy bits of Drum Editor. I haven't used it a lot since upgrading, but I've noticed that some of the annoying issues are gone. 8)
That's good to know. Thanks, Phil.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Phil O wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:45 amFYI DP 11 has addresses some of the buggy bits of Drum Editor. I haven't used it a lot since upgrading, but I've noticed that some of the annoying issues are gone. 8)

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
Can you give an example or two? I used the DE quite a lot but gave up. What's new there?
ed belknap

Post by ed belknap »

Michael Canavan wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:20 pmPolar- I recently rediscovered this, top notch looping setup.
Ha! So this is literally the opposite of the “Man, I wish DP did x,” I later learn that it does do that, and has done that for like 10 years thing that OP mentioned:

I coulda sworn Polar disappeared somewhere around DP Vers3 or 4!

Or wait, maybe I'm thinking of another looping paradigm that DP had? What was the window that allowed you to loop a section while recording and it would essentially perform unlimited layered overdubs (I almost said "non-destructive" but my recollection was that you couldn't go in and extract, undo, or otherwise separate each subsequent layer, they just all got summed to a single composite audio file.)