Cannot hear audio on imported video track

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
AsensoryMusic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Cannot hear audio on imported video track

Post by AsensoryMusic »

Hello Folks,

I know the answer is probably something obvious, but... I can't hear the audio on a video I imported into DP. I converted the video from MP4 to H264, it plays back ok (I see the video moving in the Movie window). I can see the audio signal in the meter in the Master Fader, but I do not hear anything. I tried switching the output from Main Out Stereo to Built-In Output, which resulted in no audio signal at all in the Master Fader's meter.

I'm a greenhorn when it comes to working with video, I used one of the templates, rather than my own templates, and I guess there are some major differenced in the settings.

A second question would be on how to separate the audio in the video so that I can add some voice-over and a little sidechain ducking to keep the levels under control. Then bake it all back together for export.

If anyone has or knows of a good tutorial on all of this I would be greatly appreciative. I checked Groove3 but they don't have much.

Vitals:
DP 10.1.8
Mac Pro from 2009 (4,0 upgraded to 5,0)
Xeon 3.33 Ghz Hexcore
32 GB RAM
mikehalloran

Re: Cannot hear audio on imported video track

Post by mikehalloran »

A second question would be on how to separate the audio
Easy. With most AV file types, you don't even need DP. Open in QuickTime. Select Export as Audio from the dropdown menu. This does not strip audio from the video. The audio is now available as an m4a file that you can import into DP. If you have Automatic Conversions Preferences set, it will will convert to your preferred default sample and bit rate.
Last edited by mikehalloran on Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
AsensoryMusic

Post by AsensoryMusic »

OK ... that worked. I exported audio from Quicktime, dragged that on to a stereo audio track in my project and heard the audio, after changing the output to Built-in. I still don't know why I couldn't hear it before, but I can now and that's good. I would like to see what you linked to, but there was no page available on the other side.

THANKS!!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

That was a mistake — I had meant to quote you. All fixed.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Also, check the output setting in the movie pop-up menu (control-click the movie window) if you haven't already done so.

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
AsensoryMusic

Post by AsensoryMusic »

Thanks, everyone, for the tips.

Is there a comprehensive primer on recording audio with video and baking it all back into something exportable?
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Just a shot: Is your DP project at 48k? Audio on video runs at 48kHz. If your sequence is at some other sampling rate, it could be giving you problems.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net