Mac Pro 5.1 - Upgrade?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

VitcoMusic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Mac Pro 5.1 - Upgrade?

Post by VitcoMusic »

Friends - My faithful MP 5.1 has performed flawlessly for 10 years. Before I pull the trigger on a new M1 Mac, I'm wondering if simply upgrading the CPUs (currently 8 core Westmere. 2.4Ghz) with two Xeon X5680's (two 6 core - 3.3Ghz) might give me just enough extra horsepower for the extra demands of newer instrument plugins in the mean time. I don't need to spend the $$ for a video card in order to upgrade to Mojave.

Would a correctly amount of thermal paste applied to the X5680s be enough to handle any heat issues?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Dan V.
Mac Studio Ultra 64gb; Motif 8; Novation Summit, Yamaha MOXF6, Mach Five Three; Altiverb, UVI Stuff, Acoustic Legends; Plugsound Pro; Fender Strat; Stylus, Omnisphere 2.8, Trillian
HCMarkus

Re: Mac Pro 5.1 - Upgrade?

Post by HCMarkus »

You'll find the machine is considerably more powerful with the 5680s. It will be both snappier and deeper with the new CPUs. It is such an inexpensive upgrade, I'd recommend giving it a go regardless; you can sell the 5,1 for more as a 12 core if you decide it is not strong enough for you.

Make sure you have a true 5,1 (as opposed to a firmware-updated 4,1). If yours is a 4,1, you will need to use care in upgrading, as the dual CPU 4,1s used de-lidded CPUs. Plenty written about this on the web, including MacRumors.com in the Mac Pro Forum.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

... and a poo-tonne of info posted right here by the humble, dear Sir Markus. :wink:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
VitcoMusic

Post by VitcoMusic »

HCMarkus wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:08 pm You'll find the machine is considerably more powerful with the 5680s. It will be both snappier and deeper with the new CPUs. It is such an inexpensive upgrade, I'd recommend giving it a go regardless; you can sell the 5,1 for more as a 12 core if you decide it is not strong enough for you.

Make sure you have a true 5,1 (as opposed to a firmware-updated 4,1). If yours is a 4,1, you will need to use care in upgrading, as the dual CPU 4,1s used de-lidded CPUs. Plenty written about this on the web, including MacRumors.com in the Mac Pro Forum.
This is what I thought. Makes sense for the time being. It is a genuine 5.1, not a firmware upgraded 4.1

Thanks,

DV
Mac Studio Ultra 64gb; Motif 8; Novation Summit, Yamaha MOXF6, Mach Five Three; Altiverb, UVI Stuff, Acoustic Legends; Plugsound Pro; Fender Strat; Stylus, Omnisphere 2.8, Trillian