Why I left...Why I'm back!

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
artfarm1
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Why I left...Why I'm back!

Post by artfarm1 »

Well, I 'strayed away' from DP (checking out the Steinberg Cubase world) for the last year or so in order to satisfy my curiosity, and use the 'pandemic period' to focus on some other important music projects (...like get my trombone setup with a mouthpiece that works for me and a new slide, etc. !!)

Now, having finally upgraded to DP10, I'm more excited about DP than before.

When I was running DP9 and 9.52, I was experiencing numerous crashes at the most inopportune times. Maybe that's beause my old 2009 MacPro couldn't handle it? Was it Sierra? I've flashed to 5.1 no problem and have plenty of RAM and good SSD's, but things were a little shaky.

So I bought Cubase to get to see what all the buzz was about. OK...it's very nice, it works well, etc. etc.

But, what a pain to actually get setup with all the requirements for how to handle the Steinberg instruments, the dongle, and having to deal with some weird ways of having to handle other things that DP does easily. If I could ever get Cubase to even open up properly two days in a row that was a miracle.

And that's after totally cleaning my Mac and doing fresh installs of High Sierra, re-loading all my software, etc. ....(*note: pretty much everything I've learnt about how to survive with my Mac and music I've learned here in Motunation over the last 20 odd years! This is the best forum ever, and always has been! Thanks to all of you!)

To make a long story short, I now have DP10 running amazingly well on High Sierra on my 2009 MacPro and my 2015 MacBook Pro (...and still using the original ver. 1 Traveler interface!)

No crashes, very snappy performance, lower CPU hits than Cubase using the same VI's, and it always 'just works' now. My VEP instances are easier to use on the same computer, and the Mac has plenty of power in reserve. All is well and better!

I LOVE the new scalable Zoom! Wow...Cubase was actually 'easier on the eyes' until this new scalable zoom feature.

And Chunks; that was sorely missed as I had a couple of projects over the last year that I finished in Cubase that took forever because of not having anything like Chunks.

More later, but I'm loving DP10 and everything about it. I'm only keeping Cubase around at the moment in order to move a few projects over to DP via MIDI files and some audio tracks I want to re-visit in DP.

Music on!
DP 11, OS Ventura
MacMini 2023 M2Pro, 16 gig RAM, MOTU M6, SSD drives for everything, various sound/sampled libraries from all major vendors, Logic Pro X, DSP-Quattro
MacBook Pro 2015, OSX Monterey, 2.5ghz, 16 gig RAM (w/duplicate software as in MacMini setup)
Trombones: King 2B SilverSonic, King 2B Liberty, & Conn 88H w/Doug Elliott mouthpieces!
http://www.cammillarmusic.com
HCMarkus

Re: Why I left...Why I'm back!

Post by HCMarkus »

Although I do love the Beatles, happiness is more than a warm gun, yes it is. Glad things are working well for you artfarm!
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

This is a strong case for me to make the switch. I too have crashy performance with 9.52 At any rate, I'm due to throw some money at this (MOTU).

I was a little worried about losing the current loop process and having to deal with clips, which I'm pretty sure I'll hate almost as much as the consolidated window. :D

BTW, I'm a sackbut player as well, but haven't played for almost a year.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
artfarm1

Post by artfarm1 »

As a fellow 'sackbut-er', you owe it to yourself to check out the DP upgrade to 10.13. (I know it's very subjective, but I still love the 'sound' of DP over the other DAW's as well. I know I'm not just making that up.)

Hopefully you'll find it plays nicely with your computer. They must have fixed up quite a few things under the DP hood while developing it.

Coming back to DP is like returning to that trombone that makes you always feel comfy and musical.
DP 11, OS Ventura
MacMini 2023 M2Pro, 16 gig RAM, MOTU M6, SSD drives for everything, various sound/sampled libraries from all major vendors, Logic Pro X, DSP-Quattro
MacBook Pro 2015, OSX Monterey, 2.5ghz, 16 gig RAM (w/duplicate software as in MacMini setup)
Trombones: King 2B SilverSonic, King 2B Liberty, & Conn 88H w/Doug Elliott mouthpieces!
http://www.cammillarmusic.com
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

As a (sometimes) composer, I like that DP hands me the keys and says "explore!" (unlike other DAWs, where I never quite felt the same freedom and control).

I've gotta start playing trombone, as I have a new student starting in couple weeks.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Have you tries out the shift-spacebar run feature, yet?
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
dix

Post by dix »

Thanks for the little Cubase report!

I recently posted elsewhere that Cubase, not Logic, is the DAW that looks better and better to me as time goes on between DP updates. YouTube videos form Junkie XL and ThinkSpace, and others make Cubase look damn amazing. Since DP 9.52 was exactly as stable as DP10 has been for me (meaning rock solid) I'm sort of setting aside your stability setup experiences. Every DAW has their share of those issues.

I'd love to hear any other DP v Cubase impressions you have. It would take a lot to get me to take time out of my life to switch DAWs after so many years, but it seems wise (and fun actually) to keep an eye on what's out there.

Your point on MOTUnation is well taken! The importance, and usefulness of this forum can't be underestimated. It may be DP's best hidden feature.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

dix wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:23 pmYour point on MOTUnation is well taken! The importance, and usefulness of this forum can't be underestimated. It may be DP's best hidden feature.
Agreed. This forum is why I switched from Cubase to DP, instead of Cubase to Logic as a primary DAW.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

bayswater wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:15 pmAgreed. This forum is why I switched from Cubase to DP, instead of Cubase to Logic as a primary DAW.
... in spite of the wildlife. :lol:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

monkey man wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:02 pm
bayswater wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:15 pmAgreed. This forum is why I switched from Cubase to DP, instead of Cubase to Logic as a primary DAW.
Never mind wildlife. You should have seen the OCs they had on the logic forum. Endless S&A because I put the quotes at the top instead of the bottom, or vice versa.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

bayswater wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:46 pm
Never mind wildlife. You should have seen the OCs they had on the logic forum. Endless S&A because I put the quotes at the top instead of the bottom, or vice versa.
Obsessive Compulsive, Shock and Awe? I think that's what you're acronyms mean?

Anyway yeah, Logic forums are way too big to have much content for sure. The Facebook ones are freaking awful. I'm already a "valued contributor" because I answer questions, and most of my knowledge of Logic is pre version 8. Out of 85 thousand users, someone who used Logic ten years ago is in the top 200 contributors. :banghead:

This place is great for sure, and the Facebook groups are pretty good too.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

bayswater wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:46 pm
Naughty boy, Stoivo! :brucelee:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
dix

Post by dix »

Michael Canavan wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:21 pm Obsessive Compulsive, Shock and Awe? I think that's what you're acronyms mean?

Anyway yeah, Logic forums are way too big to have much content for sure. The Facebook ones are freaking awful. I'm already a "valued contributor" because I answer questions, and most of my knowledge of Logic is pre version 8. Out of 85 thousand users, someone who used Logic ten years ago is in the top 200 contributors. :banghead:

This place is great for sure, and the Facebook groups are pretty good too.
Very good. I didn't have an inkling about those acronyms!

Ironically, sadly, DP's small user base has a lot to do with what gives this forum it's friendly Mayberry-like atmosphere. Along with preemptively researching Cubase's features I should probably also be seeing what their forums are like. A lot of non-english users I'd assume. May need to brush up on my German. I can't imagine it's even close to MN. With very few exceptions I'd miss the thoughtful posts from the users here.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

dix wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:03 pm Very good. I didn't have an inkling about those acronyms!

Ironically, sadly, DP's small user base has a lot to do with what gives this forum it's friendly Mayberry-like atmosphere. Along with preemptively researching Cubase's features I should probably also be seeing what their forums are like. A lot of non-english users I'd assume. May need to brush up on my German. I can't imagine it's even close to MN. With very few exceptions I'd miss the thoughtful posts from the users here.
True all that. The other part is "generally" there's a much higher ratio of signal to noise with people more established who would label themselves musicians and recording studio owners of various flavors, over the newer batch of Producers; people who work in electronic music who might come from more of an engineering background than musical one. So really good at constructing songs on the computer using MIDI, scripting, and loops etc. I'm absolutely not trying to stigmatize people, I'm as much of a producer as I am a musician, but the amount of wild unbridled let's face it mostly young male energy that can derail a conversation is through the roof in some places.

Or to give an example, the moderator on the FB Logic group had to issue a warning after it had been flooded for weeks on end with just bad sarcastic joke posts like "How Do I Music?" mocking silly noob questions.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Michael Canavan wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:21 pm Shock and Awe?
Sh^t and A&Vse