DP 10.2.x where are you?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Kenny B
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

DP 10.2.x where are you?

Post by Kenny B »

It's been awhile since the last version of DP has been released. How soon can we expect a newer version that actually works with the latest Mac software?
2023 Apple Mac Mini Pro M2; 12 Core, 32 GB Unified RAM, Mac OS Venura 13.6.1, 1 TB SSD boot, DP ver. 11.3, Apogee Symphony II 8x8, Axiom 61 Controller, MachFive2, FabFilter plugins, ReLab VSRn24 reverb. Some really great acoustic guitars, Schoeps MK4s, Charter Oak E700 mic, 2 Great River preamps
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 10.2.x where are you?

Post by mikehalloran »

Kenny B wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:25 pm It's been awhile since the last version of DP has been released. How soon can we expect a newer version that actually works with the latest Mac software?
When MOTU tells us it's ready.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Moved to the "MOTU Theoretical" forum.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

They are almost ready, but Matt from MOTU has been teasing "On the horizon" type comments for the last 6 months so...

My best guess is they would love to add in Apple Silicon support, so they're delaying a bit. It's pretty hard to justify a major upgrade right now without being able to use at this point half of Apples available models of computers. Even that isn't a sure thing, a beta tester actually commented that they were told it's not important for them to buy an M1 mac yet when they came out.

So all told, it's coming, nobody know when. I'm not so sure about a final update to DP10 though, and I really wish that would happen, on my system the last update is less stable.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Michael Canavan wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:05 am Even that isn't a sure thing, a beta tester actually commented that they were told it's not important for them to buy an M1 mac yet when they came out.
Maybe because of Rosetta. But as you suggest, a major upgrade without native support is not likely to be well accepted. If they could just get something out with fixes to anomalies in automation edits and VCAs, and more usable MIDI regions, I'd be happy.

With the delays in this and the webinars, you'd have to wonder if they're having staffing problems, although I still get quick replies from tech link postings.

Anyway, the new release is now theoretical. :lol:
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Yes, there are a number of nit-noid bugs — irritating but still… An update to 10 would be most welcome.

I’m quite ok with Rosetta till they get it native.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
dix

Post by dix »

Michael Canavan wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:05 am They are almost ready, but Matt from MOTU has been teasing "On the horizon" type comments for the last 6 months so...
I haven't been able to make a webinar for awhile, is Matt still implying an update is around the corner? He was last fall, but after the M1s were announced I didn't hear any such teasing.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

dix wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:38 pm
Michael Canavan wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:05 am They are almost ready, but Matt from MOTU has been teasing "On the horizon" type comments for the last 6 months so...
I haven't been able to make a webinar for awhile, is Matt still implying an update is around the corner? He was last fall, but after the M1s were announced I didn't hear any such teasing.
He's back to it, I sort of hate pointing it out, because MOTU seem to be as heavy about secrecy as Apple are, and I don't want his job compromised. The thing is it's the only tidbit we get from MOTU, there aren't a zillion video blogs on youtube about the next version of DP like there is about the next MacBook or iMac. :lol:
bayswater wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:59 am
Michael Canavan wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:05 am Even that isn't a sure thing, a beta tester actually commented that they were told it's not important for them to buy an M1 mac yet when they came out.
Maybe because of Rosetta. But as you suggest, a major upgrade without native support is not likely to be well accepted. If they could just get something out with fixes to anomalies in automation edits and VCAs, and more usable MIDI regions, I'd be happy.

With the delays in this and the webinars, you'd have to wonder if they're having staffing problems, although I still get quick replies from tech link postings.

Anyway, the new release is now theoretical. :lol:
The delays in the webinars are probably directly related to the next version of DP. Everyone is doing QA now I'm sure. I would appreciate a bug fix update to 10.13 in the meantime for sure though.

And agreed about VCA's and the usability of MIDI clips with editors, it's just a shame that a MIDI clip cannot be edited in the Drum, Notation and MIDI editors, just the Clip editing sub window. You guys might not use or be familiar with Clips in other DAWs but the lack of 'stop' buttons in blank Clips is super annoying and makes it hard to use.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
greg328

Post by greg328 »

The biggest bug I experience regularly is the loss of audio/bus input when I change inputs. Happens almost daily. Only fix is to quit/reopen. Tired of it. Ready for an update.

One concern- how long will MOTU support Intel Xeon machines? I’m stuck with my 5.1 Mac Pro fir the foreseeable future!

Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 GIG RAM, Apollo Quad, OS 13.4.1 Ventura
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

greg328 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:32 pm The biggest bug I experience regularly is the loss of audio/bus input when I change inputs. Happens almost daily. Only fix is to quit/reopen. Tired of it.
I've never experienced that and I'm running similar hardware.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
greg328

Post by greg328 »

Happens daily for me. Maybe it’s related to my I/O, Apollo FireWire. DP 10.13

DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Intel has never supported FireWire.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

greg328 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:01 pm Happens daily for me. Maybe it’s related to my I/O, Apollo FireWire. DP 10.13

I ran a MOTU 828mkII Firewire for many, many years with very few issues. You might want to try a clean install of your OS and software if other efforts fall to resolve the issues you have. As I've noted here on occasion, I keep a spare, regularly updated SSD on hand with a clone of my current boot drive, so if anything goes awry with an update I can be back in action very quickly. I started doing this after doing a complete rebuild of my boot drive from scratch; don't want to repeat that chore again!

PS: You may want to set up a signature with pertinent info; it helps folks help you.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
greg328

Post by greg328 »

mikehalloran wrote:Intel has never supported FireWire.
Not sure how to use this information— obviously UA Apollo FireWire works on Intel FireWire Macs- it’s rated to do so. And of course—Apple shipped Macs that have Intel processors and FireWire.

I know FireWire is now discontinued but all the Apple Mac Pro cheesegraters have/had Intel processors and FireWire- how can it not be supported?
Greg

greg328

Post by greg328 »

HCMarkus wrote:
greg328 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:01 pm Happens daily for me. Maybe it’s related to my I/O, Apollo FireWire. DP 10.13

I ran a MOTU 828mkII Firewire for many, many years with very few issues. You might want to try a clean install of your OS and software if other efforts fall to resolve the issues you have. As I've noted here on occasion, I keep a spare, regularly updated SSD on hand with a clone of my current boot drive, so if anything goes awry with an update I can be back in action very quickly. I started doing this after doing a complete rebuild of my boot drive from scratch; don't want to repeat that chore again!

PS: You may want to set up a signature with pertinent info; it helps folks help you.
Thank you — thought I set up an extensive signature- I’m accessing this forum via Tapatalk on my iPhone so the signature is not visible but Motunation on a computer web browser should display my signature. I’ll check soon.

Regarding reinstalling software— good tip. I’ll wait for the next DP update and if the problem persists I’ll do an OS reinstall.

Thank you,
Greg.