Movie fails to start at bar 1

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
dweissmusic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Movie fails to start at bar 1

Post by dweissmusic »

Hey All, and hello to some old friends possibly. Was a long time DP user and then worked primarily in PT for several years because that's what my client base used.
Now I'm back in DP for some composing work. Impressed with its many changes since version 7. It's working great except for this glitch.

I'm running a movie, doing separate sequences for each scene, setting the top of the scene chunk's timecode to start to bar 1. The last few scenes I've worked on I'm running into this problem where the movie when cue'd to bar 1 will not run. Starting at any other place in the sequence exhibits normal behavior, even from bar 0. Maybe I'm missing something? Thanks for any thoughts you might have.

Daniel
stubbsonic

Re: Movie fails to start at bar 1

Post by stubbsonic »

Are you using the SONG editor for your sequence chunks? I think there you can set up the different sequences to have different start times.

The only other thing I can think of is the whole start time zero thing. But I've not done any of this video stuff for a long time.

In the chunks window you can select the sequence and in the mini menu choose Set Chunk Start Time...

Try setting the chunk start to one hour, i.e.: 01:00:00:00

The right click on the movie, choose Set Movie Start Time... and set it to the same.

There used to be a thing about not "wrapping around the clock" (sort of the time-code equivalent of Y2K), which I believe was due to an analog time-code thing. Anyway, you could just try it and see if it works for your issue.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
dweissmusic

Post by dweissmusic »

Thanks,stubbsonic. I appreciate it, but all the sequences in the project have start times greater than 1 hr. Some work, some don't.

Haven't used the song window yet, but I need this to work while composing individual scenes.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

dweissmusic wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:50 pm I'm running a movie, doing separate sequences for each scene, setting the top of the scene chunk's timecode to start to bar 1. The last few scenes I've worked on I'm running into this problem where the movie when cue'd to bar 1 will not run. Starting at any other place in the sequence exhibits normal behavior, even from bar 0. Maybe I'm missing something? Thanks for any thoughts you might have.

Daniel
The setting that really matters is the Chunk Start time in HHMMSS. As long as that coincides with the starting time of the movie or the current scene (i.e., scene #4), it can read bar 220 or 1, it makes no difference.

I thought that it could be that the sequences were starting out of range, a little late, but if you say the faulty sequences play fine from bar 0 but not from bar 1, then I have no idea what this can be.

When you say that "they won't run" from bar 1, what do you mean? That you press play and nothing happens?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
dweissmusic

Post by dweissmusic »

FMiguelez wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:31 am
dweissmusic wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:50 pm I'm running a movie, doing separate sequences for each scene, setting the top of the scene chunk's timecode to start to bar 1. The last few scenes I've worked on I'm running into this problem where the movie when cue'd to bar 1 will not run. Starting at any other place in the sequence exhibits normal behavior, even from bar 0. Maybe I'm missing something? Thanks for any thoughts you might have.

Daniel
The setting that really matters is the Chunk Start time in HHMMSS. As long as that coincides with the starting time of the movie or the current scene (i.e., scene #4), it can read bar 220 or 1, it makes no difference.

I thought that it could be that the sequences were starting out of range, a little late, but if you say the faulty sequences play fine from bar 0 but not from bar 1, then I have no idea what this can be.

When you say that "they won't run" from bar 1, what do you mean? That you press play and nothing happens?

Thanks, FMiguelez. I understand about the chunk start time. Everything is in sync. It's that when I begin playback from bar 1 the movie doesn't play. It just sits there on on the first frame of the scene. Audio plays as it should though. The simple workaround is to start playback from bar 0, but it would be great to figure out what's going on.
bralston

Post by bralston »

This is a known and reported bug to MOTU. work around is to keep your bar 1 where it is at...and add a couple measures BEFORE bar 1. ( bar 0, bar -1, bar -2)...and then start playback from bar 0...or something similar and it will work fine.
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Thanks for the heads up on this issue gents.
dweissmusic

Post by dweissmusic »

Thanks for that bit of information, Brian. And for the great videos that helped me get up to speed on DP again.

DAW

bralston wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:45 am This is a known and reported bug to MOTU. work around is to keep your bar 1 where it is at...and add a couple measures BEFORE bar 1. ( bar 0, bar -1, bar -2)...and then start playback from bar 0...or something similar and it will work fine.