How to access oooold registrations?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
tantroniq
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How to access oooold registrations?

Post by tantroniq »

I was using DP 2.4 and then 3.0. This was, needless to say, a long time ago. I was using aG4 tower at the time. Time flies when you switch platforms and software and move three times.

I had a different email address which no longer exists. A different physical address. I'm quite sure I registered all my products, including the MOTU 828, Im pretty sure, because I remember making a rare tech support call to Motu about the whole texas instrument chipset thing.

Soooooo, but how to get to any of that? I can't open a tech support ticket on motu.com because I have no products under my new email address. Will customer service even be able to point me in the right direction? I seriously doubt it.

Can I search somewhere by serial # on my hardware?

Im on a quest to figure out if I can get a refurbished G4 laptop, install my legacy version of DP (another challenge level) and save a lot of old work I did so long ago. Stil have a ton of files, no way to open them!

I also see I can get a lite version of DP as a registered owner of motu hardware. Id like to give it a try on windows.

First, I just have to validate my legitimacy with motu. Any suggestions appreciated!
tantroniq

Re: How to access oooold registrations?

Post by tantroniq »

Nice! No serial # sticker on the 828. I recall this now, you had to save the box. I may be dead in the water already!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Call MOTU Sales and tell them the same thing, and your old Email address, and ask them to change your password.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by CharlzS »

tantroniq wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:18 am Im on a quest to figure out if I can get a refurbished G4 laptop, install my legacy version of DP (another challenge level) and save a lot of old work I did so long ago. Stil have a ton of files, no way to open them!

I also see I can get a lite version of DP as a registered owner of motu hardware. Id like to give it a try on windows.
Be very careful with your old sessions. A lot has changed on both platforms over the years, but Windows FAT/FAT32/NTFS are particularly harsh on old Mac HFS/HFS+ files that use resource forks and your old files most likely have resource forks and lack any extensions. There are a lot of discussions re transferring old sessions that you can find with search. Keep your old Mac session drive intact and better if you use a Mac to bring things up to speed even if you're ultimately going to move everything over to Windows.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
tantroniq

Post by tantroniq »

HOLY BATMAN, that was easy. I actually got through to tech support, they found my registration and they added the 828 when I gave them the serial #, which was the # that didn't look like a serial # to me, too few digits.

That is probably the best and fastest customer service experience I've ever had. THankfully, unbeknownst to my memory, I had added a newer email address a while back. That helped.

So far, my plan is not thwarted at the gate.A good sign!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

CharlzS wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:19 am
tantroniq wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:18 am Im on a quest to figure out if I can get a refurbished G4 laptop, install my legacy version of DP (another challenge level) and save a lot of old work I did so long ago. Stil have a ton of files, no way to open them!

Be very careful with your old sessions. A lot has changed on both platforms over the years, but Windows FAT/FAT32/NTFS are particularly harsh on old Mac HFS/HFS+ files that use resource forks and your old files most likely have resource forks and lack any extensions. There are a lot of discussions re transferring old sessions that you can find with search. Keep your old Mac session drive intact and better if you use a Mac to bring things up to speed even if you're ultimately going to move everything over to Windows.
To add to this, always zip any project file before moving it from that Mac drive to Windows. Unzipping it onto your local drive should grant any privileges and keep system resources intact. Straight copying of the file will not do this.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
tantroniq

Post by tantroniq »

My plan is actually to get a refurbished G4 mac and copy the files over from where they are now. I have the original physical drives as well as all data copied onto a stat storage system via windows. The original macs died, either via motherboard issues, or boot drives that became bricked. I mean, we are talking late nineties so its amazing anything survived at all. I had partitioned secondary drives for projects.

HOWEVER, I don't know if I still have the key to install DP3 and that's assuming I can find the install discs. I think the license key is in the manuals. I don't know if I kept those but I feel like I may have. Im going to be doing a lot of diving into boxes.

I did find a 2.43 install disk that makes reference to a floppy disk for the software key...argh. THat may also be in a box somewhere.

Would motu give me access to a new DP3 license key? Its registered. It was the upgrade from 2.43....I bought it in 1998!

I just assumed this route (reinstall the old software on the machine for which is was originally intended) would be the only thing that could work. I am not so much interested in transferring entire projects as much as exporting audio from the projects to wav files that I can then import into Cubase.

That being said its been kind of fun to play with Performer Lite which I now have for Windows. I just assumed there would be no way on earth I could import those old mac projects into this new windows software. That would be a stunning development, if it were possible. Stunning.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

If it's registered and they gave you access to your account the key should be listed in your account at motu.com
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by CharlzS »

tantroniq wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:59 am . . . as well as all data copied onto a stat storage system via windows.
I will hazard a guess that this Windows copy will be stripped of it's resource forks and will be pretty much useless unless you zipped everything up as Mike H as suggested. I think I saw here not that long ago the someone was opening DP3.x files in DP9 or 10. If you could beg, borrow or steal a Mac that can read your original sessions disk and run a current version of DP just to do the translations, you should be able to convert the old stuff. DP projects now use extensions for all files and the SD2 format is pretty much read only. IIRC when you open the old session in newer versions DP on the Mac it will offer you to save/convert to the newer requirements. Maybe someone else has more recent experience - many years ago for me. Anyway, I just don't want you to hose all of your old sessions. MOTU tech support can probably give you some good direction. Since you're back in on your account, give them a call.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

My plan is actually to get a refurbished G4 mac and copy the files over from where they are now.
Again, zip the project files first. Keep those zipped archives available till you have everything working. If you get everything going over OS 9, append the files with the correct suffix, zip them again. OS 9 gives you the choice to show/hide the suffix in the GetInfo window — if unavailable, add them manually and click Show.

Properly done, you can open DP 3.x files in DP 10.

Macintosh Garden is your friend here.
https://macintoshgarden.org/
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
tantroniq

Post by tantroniq »

bayswater wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:50 am If it's registered and they gave you access to your account the key should be listed in your account at motu.com
Not when you registered in 1998! My account only shows my products and no keys.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

tantroniq wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:07 pm
bayswater wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:50 am If it's registered and they gave you access to your account the key should be listed in your account at motu.com
Not when you registered in 1998! My account only shows my products and no keys.
They won't or can't give you the key?