MOTU M2 Longevity - Power Cycles

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Darius1968
Primary DAW OS: Windows

MOTU M2 Longevity - Power Cycles

Post by Darius1968 »

I’m a new owner of your MOTU M2 audio interface. I have questions about leaving it on 24/7 Vs. turning it off when not in use. If I leave it on indefinitely, all the time, can this cause the LED display on the front of the unit to prematurely fail, and vice-versa, if I repeat the cycle – several times a day – of turning-on/turning-off the unit, am I asking for any premature equipment failures? In addition to your response here, to my questions, I also appreciate and welcome any other documentation and/or forums you can point me to that would prove as a valuable source for me in regards to my questions.
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: MOTU M2 Longevity - Power Cycles

Post by CharlzS »

Maybe too early to know. I have an M4 and it gets power cycled at least 4-5 times a day as my laptop is opened/closed and so far no problem after about a year. As with any piece of equipment, time will tell.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MOTU M2 Longevity - Power Cycles

Post by mikehalloran »

None of these current Fast USB interfaces have been on the market a year and a half so no one really knows.

Previous generation interfaces lasted longer if turned off when not in use vis-a-vis those left on 24/7. Sustained heat appears to be more detrimental than heat/cold cycles that can be hard on solder joints.

A good clue is the amount of heat these new units produce or, more accurately, don't. All the ones I've seen run fairly cool, a very good thing.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro