Quick question to guitarists from a pianist...

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Quick question to guitarists from a pianist...

Post by FMiguelez »

Hello.

I wonder if you guitar players know of a resource/book that lists all guitar triads/7th chords (and taller chords with tensions) using the simple Tabs nomenclature (not tablature) and the corresponding voicing on the piano on a grand staff for each chord.

This is what I mean by simple tabs>
https://www.101computing.net/guitar-chords-reader/

That, plus the keyboard voicing equivalent, so I can easily search for the chords and see how they are to be voiced on the piano correctly (so my guitar VIs sound more realistic).

I know some, and I can deduct them, but it takes a while and some mental power, and I'd rather put that to use for something else :)

I've searched and searched, but haven't found exactly what I need.

Thanks guys!
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
rickorick

Re: Quick question to guitarists from a pianist...

Post by rickorick »

What about Mel Bay’s Deluxe Encyclopedia for Guitar Chords. I have a copy that I use to look up chords I don’t know. It has
voicing’s on the bottom 4 strings the middle 4 and the top 4. It spells the chords out 1,3,5,7,9 etc. Also Mickey Baker’s book 1
has a lot of good information. And of course once you get 1 chord you can drag it around and put it in different keys. Or just ask here I sure a lot of guys here will tell you the voicing. Sometimes I just tune the guitar to get the voicing I want.
Used 2012 Mac Pro 3.33 6 Core 16g ram 10.8.5 DP 7.24
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I don't recall the Mel Bay book showing the piano voicings, although I haven't looked at it for a few decades. I have a very old edition.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
rickorick

Post by rickorick »

I just picked a random page G7b9 low to high F B D Ab, that’s the guitar voicing on piano you could play the G & F with your left hand and the B D Ab with your right and you would have the guitar voicing with a extra bass note.
rickorick

Post by rickorick »

I found mine I have the $6.95 version.
greg328

Post by greg328 »

Just avoid thirds down low and you’ll be close enough! That’s how I do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 GIG RAM, Apollo Quad, OS 13.4.1 Ventura
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Thank you so much guys!

I'm trying to peek the inside of the book. I found a place called Scrib that sort of lets me see some of the content (dimmed out).
AFAIS it does not spell out the voicings on a piano grand staff. It shows me how I can play it on the guitar and I can then deduce it on the keyboard, but that's what I'm trying to avoid :)

That would be the PERFECT book if it had, next to each guitar chord tab, the piano voicing.

Now I see a bunch of similar books in Amazon. I'll keep clicking on them to see if I find something like that. I mean, there must be something like that already out there, right?

Yeah, avoiding smaller intervals in the lower strings... that's been my "method" so far too :) , but it doesn't always work, especially with tensions :(
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I had never thought about the grand staff for guitar chords. I looked at a few books yesterday and didn't see any that did this. I have seen posters that have it, but they, for obvious reasons, don't cover many chords.

The other thing is that all chords have several positions and voicings within each position just as they would on a piano. And because a guitar is limited to 6 notes, a lot of the more complicated chords leave out one or more notes, depending on the position, and the sound you want. So when you ask what notes on a piano correspond to E7flat9 on a guitar, the answer is pretty much whatever notes cover all or some of the notes in that chord.

On avoiding lower thirds, generally that's fine, but I guess Lou Reed never thought about it.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8