PC build

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Mrbadger
Primary DAW OS: Windows

PC build

Post by Mrbadger »

Hi. I am building a little hobby studio at home and have been given a MOTU 828 mk2 in really good condition which I'd like to make use of.
As this is now fairly old hardware, I'm wondering what king of PC setup I will need. Am I right in thinking Windows 10 is out of the question?
What sort of processor generation and chipsets do these work well with? Will they work with relatively new PC's as long as an older version on Windows is installed? I want to start looking for a suitable machine.

Thanks.
CharlzS

Re: PC build

Post by CharlzS »

I have an 828mk2 working with Win 10, but IMHO if I were creating a new project studio I wouldn't build it around a legacy interface. That said, if you decide to go that route and your mk2 is firewire only, one thing you need is a firewire card with the old TI chipset. This is the one I use: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1. Go with an Intel i7 or i9 processor with plenty of RAM (minimum 16GB) and NVMe (preferable) or SSD drives. There isn't any build info on this site, but check the forums for whatever DAW you'll be using for their recommendations (the Pro Tools DUC forum has an extensive thread on PC builds). Anyway, if it doesn't work well for you, you can return the FW card, sell the mk2 on EBay and get something like a MOTU M4 (which includes Performer Lite) if you don't need many inputs.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Mrbadger

Post by Mrbadger »

Hi, thanks very much for the info. Do you have any more information about the specific chipset which is needed for the fire wire? I had a look in that Amazon listing but couldn't see anything specific. Stab in the dark, but is TI Texas instruments? I'm not sure I will be able to get that specific FireWire card as I am in the UK but if I know exactly what I'm looking for I can try and find an equivalence which uses the same chipset as the one you have.
I understand what you're saying about using legacy devices. Bought it's worth a try and get out though as I have nothing to lose if it doesn't work out. These devices seem like really good value. Having ovos inputs a big hills to me and and they can be picked up for next to nothing on eBay. As long as I can get the latency real low, should be good.
What did you have to do to get this device to work in Windows 10?

Cheers
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

Read this thread: https://www.motunation.com/forum/viewto ... 14&t=67919 There is a link to a list of Presonus approved FW cards which show what chipsets have been tested - stick to the Texas Instruments. No guarantee, but better chance of success. Also, you don't necessarily need the Microsoft Legacy FW driver. Don't install any drivers that come with the cards. Let Windows install the MS FW drivers that come with Win 10.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Mrbadger

Post by Mrbadger »

Do these comprise of a FireWire rack mountable unit and a pic card? Lots on eBay seem to be just the rack unit