dp3.11 and boss dr-5 MIDI setup

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
ssobiech
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

dp3.11 and boss dr-5 MIDI setup

Post by ssobiech »

Help. I'd like to get the dr-5 synced with my recording. I'd like to push record in dp3.11, and have a drum beat(selected in the dr-5) behind my recording. It seems like I've tried every setting possible, and have not been able to get this going. Is the dr-5 just buggy? I can get it recognized in OMS, and Freemidi, I can get the sound coming through, but using it for click and playing drum bits is sketchy at best.

If the dr-5 is just a buggy waste of time, what is an affordable software drum machine that I could use?

iBook G3 700
midisport 1x1
MBox
Boss Dr-5
studiodog

Post by studiodog »

DP must be set to transmit MIDI beat clock and the drum machine should be set to respond to external clock.

If I remember how Boss works it will have the options of "Internal" or "Sync", with sync meaning external clock...

I think those options are accessed with the MIDI button on the Boss.
ssobiech

Post by ssobiech »

Thank you, what about the MIDI thru and sys exclusive settings on the dr-5?
studiodog

Post by studiodog »

If the DR 5 is the only MIDI device you are using then there's no need to use the thru, that's all it does, it passes the MIDI data thru to the next device.

And you needn't worry about sys ex right now... :mrgreen:
ssobiech

Post by ssobiech »

Thank you again, I'm going to pick your brain while I can. I still don't get any MIDI recording onto dp3.11. I've set up everything as discussed, hit record, and get a click that only clicks once per bar, no MIDI data recorded, dr-5 doesn't start it's drum pattern.