No tracks record-enabled, no error message, DP10

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
FrankD
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

No tracks record-enabled, no error message, DP10

Post by FrankD »

Is this a new feature? ;-)

I can press record or go into auto-record when no tracks are record enabled. (DP 10.13)

This used to bring up an error message. Now I can hit record, turn my attention to singing or playing, then realize I got bupkes...

Has anyone else noticed this?
peace,
Frank Dickinson
90 East Productions
Our "lockdown" videos!
mikehalloran

Re: No tracks record-enabled, no error message, DP10

Post by mikehalloran »

This used to bring up an error message.
Not for me ever.

There might be a preference setting?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

FrankD wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:42 pm Is this a new feature? ;-)

I can press record or go into auto-record when no tracks are record enabled. (DP 10.13)

This used to bring up an error message. Now I can hit record, turn my attention to singing or playing, then realize I got bupkes...

Has anyone else noticed this?
yup.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

Thanks Frank!
In my case, I wouldn't have noticed the change if you hadn't mentioned it.
In the course of complex overdubbing sessions, I would occasionally get the warning box.
Always my bad for not enabling the next record input in the frenzy of a fast session.
Just tested it on my rig to be sure.
Now, instead of the "error" box, DP simply goes into record ready and I can begin recording on any input while rolling.
Pretty cool.
Not sure when they changed this or if it is an assignable preference.
In either case, thanks for noticing the change.
All is well
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I hadn't notice this change either. But note that the record icon in the transport flashes if there is no armed track. I guess that makes it a feature and not a bug.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

So you don't get the "You must select a track to record on" message box?
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Gravity Jim wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:56 am So you don't get the "You must select a track to record on" message box?
Not any more. You can click the record buttons on the tracks as you go. Probably more like the way the kids like to do it.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
bkshepard

Post by bkshepard »

bayswater wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:14 pmNot any more. You can click the record buttons on the tracks as you go. Probably more like the way the kids like to do it.
Wow, you're right! I hadn't noticed that. I've gotten so used to being nagged to record-enable a track, my brain won't even let me hit the record button without doing so. I wonder how many people will get all the way to the end of a recording only to realize no tracks were record-enabled. :shock:
-Brian

Mac M1 Ultra 20-core, OS 14.3.1, 128 GB RAM, DP 11.3.1, UA Apollo x6
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

bkshepard wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:41 pmI wonder how many people will get all the way to the end of a recording only to realize no tracks were record-enabled. :shock:
I have yet to get all the way to the end...
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
FrankD

Post by FrankD »

bkshepard wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:41 pm I wonder how many people will get all the way to the end of a recording only to realize no tracks were record-enabled. :shock:
Well, I didn't get to the end of the piece, but I got to the end of the section I was working on... Was doing a bunch of vocal overdubs, moving time-wise through the piece in sections, and vertically from track to track. An errant click on the little red dot turned off record-enable a couple of times. Those were my best takes too! :wink:

Now that I check out the new behavior a bit more, I see that you can freely switch record-enable from track to track, with transport running, and without DP getting all glitchy. This did not work smoothly (if at all) in previous versions, so I'm looking at it as a feature. With the record button engaged, you can punch in and out manually on multiple tracks at different locations using the record-enable buttons, provided they are assigned to different input bundles of course.

Tried setting up a memory cycle around a section, with auto-record (punch in and out) inside the cycle, giving me a couple of bars of lead-in and out. I can leave DP looping and switch recording tracks by clicking or using the up-down arrows. Cool. Had three tracks set up, I could knock out 3 passes of a section without stopping if I was slick enough to switch tracks during the lead-in bars. If I missed, DP would record again on the same track, but create a new take, as it has in the past. Fair enough.

Record-enable track switching with the arrow keys only works when the Tracks or Sequence window is in front. I had the Audio Monitor window hanging over Sequence a couple of times. This disabled track record switching via the up-down arrow keys, even though the arrows don't do anything in the Audio Monitor window.

Working alone, as I'm sure many of us are right now, I might make a few more engineering mistakes while concentrating on a performance... :?
peace,
Frank Dickinson
90 East Productions
Our "lockdown" videos!
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

Gravity Jim wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:56 am So you don't get the "You must select a track to record on" message box?
Too funny!
Of course we do.
We're just noticing that the behavior has changed.
I'm appreciating the new approach with the ability to hit a record button on any track as it plays in record mode.
Thumbs up for DP!
All is well
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Again, I've never seen it.
I wonder how many people will get all the way to the end of a recording only to realize no tracks were record-enabled.
Yep. I'm often looking at a score. Since I'm monitoring myself, I don't hear that I've not enabled a track. Every now and then, I get distracted when recording my keyboard player. "Lovely take …

2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

mikehalloran wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:02 am
I wonder how many people will get all the way to the end of a recording only to realize no tracks were record-enabled.
Yep. I'm often looking at a score. Since I'm monitoring myself, I don't hear that I've not enabled a track. Every now and then, I get distracted when recording my keyboard player. "Lovely take …

Retrospective MIDI might save the take...or at least a part of it. :roll:
FrankD

Post by FrankD »

mikehalloran wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:02 am
It was there in previous DP versions. It was a surprise for me to not see it, and it got me looking for a hidden MIDI track or something else that was in record mode.

You probably haven't seen it because you don't make as many mistakes as me... :wink:
peace,
Frank Dickinson
90 East Productions
Our "lockdown" videos!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

You probably haven't seen it because you don't make as many mistakes as me... :wink:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: