Audio File Conversions

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Audio File Conversions

Post by bayswater »

Am I correct in assuming changing formats without changing sample rates, bit rates, etc, for uncompressed or lossless audio files does nothing to the actual sample values? E.g. change a 44.1/24 .wav to a 44.1/24 .aiff just changes the way the file is organized but not the data seen by a DAW.

I always assumed this was the case, but have had strange results recently with .flacs where the .wav from a .flac was 9 db louder.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Re: Audio File Conversions

Post by mikehalloran »

FLAC has 8 levels of compression though it defaults to Level 5. Although all are supposed to bre lossless, any hardware decoding is supposed to happen on the fly. It would surprise me if this wasn't the cause of any variance in playback levels.

Since none of my hardware supports FLAC playback (unless my Toyota does), I only listen to decoded FLAC files.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Re: Audio File Conversions

Post by bayswater »

Thanks.

I was using DSP-Q to batch convert a load of .flacs to .wav to get them into various editors. DSP-Q plays them OK but appears to first convert them internally to .caf. The problem was limited to conversions to .wav. I don't think DSP-Q is the problem -- same thing happened with Audacity. I haven't yet concluded that the problem is with the .flac format, but wanted to understand the format better before digging into other possible causes.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8