Making beats align with rubato tempo in soundbites

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Tomas E
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Making beats align with rubato tempo in soundbites

Post by Tomas E »

Is it possible to align beats to a soundbite that has a rubato tempo?

In other words - as most of time - let's say you are unable to exactly match the metronome click when recording, is it possible to make the tempo in the conductor track adjust itself to the soundbite's different tempos? I've tried using the conductor track when using this command but it still only adds the prerecorded tempo at the beginning of the soundbite. I would expect it to add adjustments according to the beat grid within the source soundbite, thus adding tempo changes throughout the whole song. That way, if you then record and quantize a MIDI instrument, it would still be in sync with the audio.
Tomas E

Re: Making beats align with rubato tempo in soundbites

Post by Tomas E »

Brendan Reza of the MOTU Support Team, wrote: This is possible but it is a very involved process. You would have to manually drag every beat and/or measure to certain down beats or hit points in the rubato performance. It can take quite a while, but once done is very accurate.

There is no "one-click" way to do this with a song that was recorded completely free form. If you're able to provide the audio file in question, I can create a small video showing how to do this.
I sent him an audio file. I''m looking forward to seeing the video! 8)
pencilina
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by pencilina »

Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
Oleg Vostyakov

Post by Oleg Vostyakov »

pencilina wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:32 pm viewtopic.php?p=505931#p505931
Thank you!
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

You’re very welcome. I’m a little surprised tech support said there was no way to do this even if it’s a work around of another buggy feature they’ve neglected to fix for years.
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
Tomas E

Post by Tomas E »

pencilina wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:32 pm viewtopic.php?p=505931#p505931
So that also works with rubato tempo in soundbites, not just MIDI?
Tomas E

Post by Tomas E »

I didn't get any link nor an answer for a long time, until I posted another answer in the TechLink in question.
Myself wrote:I guess it's too hard with the kind of audio I provided. Never mind, I think I can do this myself, now that you've pointed me in the right direction.
Brendan Reza of the MOTU Support Team wrote:In the time since we last spoke, I've created a personal instructional video for customers trying to use this feature. Since it's a rather involved process, we don't really provide customized tutorials for every customer's project. However this video should be very helpful in understanding what needs to be done:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VOAfU2 ... sp=sharing
I've actually had other things going on so I haven't checked it out myself yet, much due to the time it took me to get him to help me.
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

Tomas E wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:13 am So that also works with rubato tempo in soundbites, not just MIDI?
The conductor track's tempo map applies to whatever is in the chunk so it will work with audio or MIDI. You just have to make sure you lock any tracks (audio or MIDI) or else DP will try and conform the tracks' content to whatever tempo changes you make and you will find a confusing mess after you apply the tempo changes.
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

Also, It's cool they responded but that technique is way more time consuming. You can still use it if there's confusion and you need precision.