Frustrating issue with a wireless (on-camera) Sennheiser system

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
zuul-studios
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Frustrating issue with a wireless (on-camera) Sennheiser system

Post by zuul-studios »

Hello -

I own a couple of wireless (on-camera) Sennheiser lavaliere systems. The specific model is the Sennheiser EW 112P "Camera-Mount' wireless system (A: 516 to 558 MHz). They're used on Panasonic GH5 cameras in a dedicated video-recording "Green Room", set up to record my wife's cooking videos. (The room is painted Chroma-Key Green for keying effects.) The frustrating issue is that I'm getting intermittent bursts of static sounds. I've owned Sennheiser wireless systems for many years and never experienced these short bursts of static sounds until recently. I've tried changing the frequency for the transmitter & receiver. This seems to help, but those static sounds persist, just less intermittently. I also tried changing the lavaliere microphone itself (purchased a new one). Still, those freakin' static sounds persist. I'm guessing that the cause is some kind of radio interference??!!?? It doesn't matter where my wife might be in our home, wearing the lavaliere microphone transmitter. So, whatever is causing the interference is not associated with any one area of our house. Finally, the annoying sound is not associated with movement; it's not the microphone rubbing against clothing. My wife can be standing or sitting perfectly still and the static sound persists. (She carefully places the microphone on top of her head, barely sticking out from underneath her wig. It's a placement "trick" she learned from her theater days.)

Are wireless Sennheiser systems problematic for this kind of issue?!? Any other ideas in problem-solving this issue (hopefully without purchasing a different brand of wireless lavaliere system)??

I do own a couple of boom microphones. But the lavaliere microphone seems to provide the cleanest sound of my loving wife's voice (when there're no bursts of static sounds). I'd like to avoid using a boom microphone. (Our "Green Room" is already crowded with cameras and lighting equipment.)

Thank you for any thoughtful suggestions that you might offer.

In the meanwhile, I hope all are well. . . and all keep well!!

Kind Regards,
Ted

P.S. Below is a web-link to a video show-casing our "Green Room". We painted one of our bedrooms Chroma-Key Green last spring, with extra time on our hands due to the pandemic. LOL! We had lots of fun doing this project. Just click on the link if you wish to view the short, silly video. :)

https://vimeo.com/413784509
Computer:
Apple's M2 Mac Studio with 96 RAM; macOS X 14.5 (beta 3); 1 Internal SSD, 8 External SSDs, MOTU 828es audio device, AKAI MPK88 Keyboard Controller

Software:
DP11.31, Logic Pro X, FCPX, DaVinci Resolve; VSL's Super Package, VEPro 7 & MIR Pro, VI Pro 2; Altiverb 8; Cinesample's CineSympnony Complete Bundle; Native-Instrument's Komplete 13 Ultimate Collectors Edition, and many more VIs.