Looking for a 3 switch foot controller programmable on a Mac

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Looking for a 3 switch foot controller programmable on a Mac

Post by mikehalloran »

Ok, so I can't have one USB keyboard modifying another… But what about two mice or mouse+trackpad working in tandem? That actually works.

Using Steermouse, I'm able to assign the Command and Option keys to two of the pedals of the SE2.

Assigning the Shift key to the left pedal works in Word but not DP. ?!?!? Though you can do similar things, it's not as fast for grabbing a number of objects as Shift only—you hover over each object and hit the footswitch. Uh yea… I don't think so. It's not as important as the Cmd and Opt keys are to me in DP.

So, the new MX Master 3 mouse gets here tomorrow, I have an RMA for the SE2 if I need it and Steermouse on a 30 day evaluation.

Looks like I'm going to have an interesting weekend.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Update

I tried the Savant 3 pedal Nice piece of gear and easy to program on a Mac, Even with Steermouse and another app recommended by Savant Support, I could never program the pedal to be reliable for the Command and Option keys and not at all for Shift. DP would freeze up at some point and I’d have to unplug its USB cable, wait, then replug and continue. Worse then not having it at all.

Likewise, no mouse solution worked either. Apple has a tech group for handicapped and they couldn’t help me either — no voice command that keeps any of those keys held while you use the trackpad. They at least understand the problem.

Anyway, it all went back and I’m still using my left hand as a deadweight when I need to hold down any of those keys while editing in DP

I bought a StreamDeck XL. I know others are using it in DP but, if it won’t do what I need, what else it does won/t matter much.

We’ll see…
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Mike, have you ever considered trying modifying an old keyboard to pull contacts for the specific keys you seek to control by foot out to hard-wired momentary switches?

A computer keyboard is just a collection of momentary switches. It strikes me that it may be possible for someone handy with a soldering iron to convert the desired keys to footswitch jacks, which would allow you to use something like the Roland DP-2 to trigger any key that was wired up. An old keyboard could be repurposed for this functionality and connected via USB.

EDIT: As I think about it, it would even be possible for pedals to be rigged up to physically depress the desired keys. The pedal and the keyboard being used for this purpose could be attached to a platform, so the pedals and keyboard would always be properly aligned. Rube Goldberg would be proud!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

HCMarkus wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:25 am Mike, have you ever considered trying modifying an old keyboard to pull contacts for the specific keys you seek to control by foot out to hard-wired momentary switches?

A computer keyboard is just a collection of momentary switches. It strikes me that it may be possible for someone handy with a soldering iron to convert the desired keys to footswitch jacks, which would allow you to use something like the Roland DP-2 to trigger any key that was wired up. An old keyboard could be repurposed for this functionality and connected via USB.
I tried something like that—nope and Apple Engineering confirmed it. Neither does any combo of wired and wireless (got a few).
Ok, so I can't have one USB keyboard modifying another
HCMarkus wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:25 amEDIT: As I think about it, it would even be possible for pedals to be rigged up to physically depress the desired keys. The pedal and the keyboard being used for this purpose could be attached to a platform, so the pedals and keyboard would always be properly aligned. Rube Goldberg would be proud!
That would work if I could find a shop that would make such a rig — and there was a chance I could afford it. Would have to be a custom desk with the cables brackets, pedals etc. built in. I would think that the only lever required is the pedal. Otherwise, old mechanical remote cables used in photography would be all one needs. But who would build it and at what cost? Not this one-armed guy.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

mikehalloran wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:49 pm
I see.

But how about tapping into the keyboard you use on your desk.. ? I've never tried anything like that, but it seems feasible. Unless there is something magical about the contacts within the keyboard. It could be a delicate operation.

If you have an old keyboard you'd like me to experiment with (preferably one that is screwed - not glued - together) I'd be game give it a try!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

HCMarkus wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:35 pm
mikehalloran wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:49 pm
I see.

But how about tapping into the keyboard you use on your desk.. ? I've never tried anything like that, but it seems feasible. Unless there is something magical about the contacts within the keyboard. It could be a delicate operation.

If you have an old keyboard you'd like me to experiment with (preferably one that is screwed - not glued - together) I'd be game give it a try!
Yes, as I reread it, it’s a wiring problem and should be doable. I have three late-Mac keyboards from as many companies. Let’s see if one can be taken apart. I still have the pedals. Somewhere in the Silicon Valley should exist a tech who can marry the two.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Cool Mike. Let us know how it turns out!