Looking for a 3 switch foot controller programmable on a Mac

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Looking for a 3 switch foot controller programmable on a Mac

Post by mikehalloran »

I’m looking for a 3 switch foot controller that I can use to program the Command, Option and Shift keys on a Mac. All the ones I see require a PC to program it first. Mine is on loan and I don’t want to borrow it back just to program a footswitch.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
FMiguelez

Re: Looking for a 3 switch foot controller programmable on a Mac

Post by FMiguelez »

I use this one for any type of clicking to protect my hands, and it's amazing. Supposedly it can be also be programmed to perform any key-combinations (but I haven't tried doing that)>

https://kinesis-ergo.com/shop/savant-el ... ple-pedal/

Some time ago a wrote a post about using this pedal and the sticky keys combo to avoid hand injuries during prolonged computer sessions and safe DP keyboard shortcuts here>
https://www.motunation.com/forum/viewto ... 41#p568241
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Looks like the right tool—order has been placed. There are many, inexpensive copies but they require programming on a PC.

It’s quite tedious to place left hand fingers onto the keyboard with my right hand every time I need a modifier—in DP, that’s a lot as I edit choir tracks.

Thanks for your help!
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Not cheap, though. Looks sturdy, and the config process is ideal. Is there no way to take some MIDI thingy and convert those to key commands?
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Interesting. Would you use the pedals to click and press modifier keys on the keyboard, or the other way around?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:49 am Interesting. Would you use the pedals to click and press modifier keys on the keyboard, or the other way around?
My left arm is paralyzed going on 12 years. Therapists tell me that, if I keep trying, I can use it on its own. Sorry but I’m trying to get work done. My current method is to place my finger on the keyboard with my right hand. Command, Option or Shift while I use my trackpad. Programmable mice never did it for me and I know there are ways to program the Magic Trackpad 2 but a foot controller for those three keys should help me work the way I like.

I’m looking at Stream Deck for a couple of years and watching as the app improves. It looks like it’s finally ready for prime time so I will pull the trigger. Not certain which version yet.

https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/stream-deck

Now that the day gig no longer exists and I’m spending so much more time in DP, Finale etc., I need to begin optimizing my workflow
leigh

Post by leigh »

Go for the StreamDeck XL. Much better than the standard one.

**Leigh
I don't care what you play. I care how you play.— Karl Berger

iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W, 128GB RAM, Mac OS X 14.2, DP 11.3
VSL, VE Pro 7, MIR Pro 3D, UVI Falcon, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Ozone 9 Advanced, RX 8 Advanced, Dorico 5, Metric Halo ULN-8-3D mkiv, ULN-2-3D & 2882-3D interfaces, Novation Impulse-49, various mics
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

FMiguelez wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:22 am I use this one for any type of clicking to protect my hands, and it's amazing. Supposedly it can be also be programmed to perform any key-combinations (but I haven't tried doing that)>

https://kinesis-ergo.com/shop/savant-el ... ple-pedal/

Some time ago a wrote a post about using this pedal and the sticky keys combo to avoid hand injuries during prolonged computer sessions and safe DP keyboard shortcuts here>
https://www.motunation.com/forum/viewto ... 41#p568241
I ordered one up and figured out how to program it easily enough but, unfortunately, this will not do what I need. Per Kinesis Support:

… if you intend to use the SE2 to modify keypresses on a keyboard, this will not work, MacOS has a limitation where it will not allow one USB device to modify another.

I just got off the phone with Apple's Accessibility Support group. There's no way to get the Magic Trackpad 2 to do the three things I need: Shift-Click-Drag, Option-Shift-Drag and Command-Click-Drag. The only workaround is to pull up the Accessibility Keyboard, click on the area in the Dp track I want, click onto the modifier key in the Accessibility Keyboard, go back to my track to highlight what I need—but this does work. It's not as fast as lifting my left hand with my right and placing a left finger onto the keyboard like the dead weight that it is.

Time to explore programmable mice — haven't used one since the PPC days when the button to program was the right-click.

I still thank you for the suggestion. Now we know.
Go for the StreamDeck XL. Much better than the standard one.
Everyone's backordered till late March, it appears but I've placed an order. I'll post how it works out for me.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

mikehalloran wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:51 am … if you intend to use the SE2 to modify keypresses on a keyboard, this will not work, MacOS has a limitation where it will not allow one USB device to modify another.
I don't understand. I can press and hold Control on the USB keyboard and left-click on my USB mouse. How is that different?
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

This is a great mouse Mike: https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Master- ... 238&sr=8-5

And the newer version 3 is probably as good or better, just $40 more!

A lot of programmability, and I love the side scroll wheel for horizontal scrolling in DP.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

stubbsonic wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:34 pm
mikehalloran wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:51 am … if you intend to use the SE2 to modify keypresses on a keyboard, this will not work, MacOS has a limitation where it will not allow one USB device to modify another.
I don't understand. I can press and hold Control on the USB keyboard and left-click on my USB mouse. How is that different?
I don't understand it either but it is.

Likewise, I cannot press the Option key on one keyboard to modify another. I have two keyboards up right now. Option g produces © on either 'board but the Option key pressed on one will not modify g on the other.

It looks like I will have to get Steermouse @ $19.95 and then find the right 5 or more button mouse so that I can program 3 of the keys to Shift, Option, Command or Shift-Click, Option-Click and Command-Click while leaving the two main buttons for the normal L and R-Click functions.
https://plentycom.jp/en/steermouse/

Fortunately, returning the foot controller on Amazon is easy. I've already re-set it to its Default.
HCMarkus wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:47 pm This is a great mouse Mike: https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Master- ... 238&sr=8-5

And the newer version 3 is probably as good or better, just $40 more!

A lot of programmability, and I love the side scroll wheel for horizontal scrolling in DP.
I keep coming back to this or the 3. Since Steermouse supports them, looks like the way to go. Perhaps there's native support for what I need to do.

Update, I went for this version of the 3. Don't know what makes it Mac specific but the price is the same as the other 3.
https://smile.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS ... =0&ie=UTF8

Thanks!

Because of my age and handicap, I may be able to get Medicare to cover some of this. We'll see…
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:51 am… if you intend to use the SE2 to modify keypresses on a keyboard, this will not work, MacOS has a limitation where it will not allow one USB device to modify another.
That's why I asked. I figured it would be easier anyway to press the modifier keys on a normal keyboard, and use the foot switch as a mouse button. But I've never tried any of the above. It does look like possible way to improve productivity in some repetitive tasks in design apps.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:29 pm … I figured it would be easier anyway to press the modifier keys on a normal keyboard, and use the foot switch as a mouse button. …
That is the default setting.

Unfortunately, that can't work for me. I hit the modifiers on the keyboard with my right hand and activate the left click on the mouse with the switch, ok so far…

Now I've clicked but how do I drag? My only working hand is holding the modifier. Unfortunately, releasing the modifier key disables the (modifier)-Click as you try to Drag.

The only workaround is the Accessibility Keyboard in System Preferences as I mentioned before. I can use the switch to select a modifier but leaving the grid releases the key — still no Drag unless I do it all with the mouse. Sticky Keys work but it's still faster and easier placing my paralyzed finger onto the keys.
It does look like possible way to improve productivity in some repetitive tasks in design apps.
Absolutely. DP, too but not what I need done.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I guess sticky keys is all there is for this scenario. I used it when I had one hand out of commission temporarily, and it worked, but never got used to it. Modifier keys on a footswitch, if it exists, seems awkward, but I can see that would work if you could do a mod and sometimes a click with your feet and just move the mouse around with a hand.

Did you look at the new version of voice control with Catalina?
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I'm using a G502 mouse with Steermouse as the driver. Works well. Very configurable.