The Last Words of David

Share music created in Digital Performer
Forum rules
This forum is where you can post links to sound files of your projects created in Digital Performer in order to get feedback. You may also plug your band and announce live performances.
Tritonemusic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: The Last Words of David

Post by Tritonemusic »

Rick Cornish wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:26 pm A perhaps relevant trick from the Singers Unlimited: Only one of them sang the final consonants. One is all you need and there’s never a double-T that way.
That's a great tip.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Tritonemusic wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:54 am
Rick Cornish wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:26 pm A perhaps relevant trick from the Singers Unlimited: Only one of them sang the final consonants. One is all you need and there’s never a double-T that way.
That's a great tip.
Yea… in practice, not as easy as it sounds. Anyway, hard consonants and glottal stops (a, e, i, o at the beginning of the word) are easy to sync. Soft consonants (h, m, n, w, th) are easy to ignore.

S and sh, OTOH, are a real bear: where they land in relation to the vowel are tempo, context and singer dependent — until you've done it, you just don't know. Easy to get right when everyone is in the same room — if not, why is one directing a choir?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Jim

Post by Jim »

Impressive!
recording: Mac Mini 2018 - 32GB RAM - 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 - two Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
mixing: MacPro7,1 - 256GB RAM - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - Focusrite Scarlett Solo - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
Both computers: Kontakt Komplete 13 VIs and effects. Effects: FabFilter, Sonnox Oxford, SSL, PSP, UA, iZotope. VIs: Cherry Audio, AIR Tech, GForce, AAS, East-West, Garritan, Best Service, Kilohearts, Brainworx, UA
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Jim wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:31 pmImpressive!
Thanks!

We've become a little more adventurous since then. Here is Palestrina's Gloria Patri from last Sunday (Trinity Sunday):

https://youtu.be/eysuHL0iiJQ

This time, I created my own double-choir.

Same 14 voices for Main and Echo except that I doubled the octave for the final Amen — the only two notes I sing. Some singers submitted Main and Echo tracks; for those who didn't, I split the Echo out in DP so that I could process the two groups separately.

To differentiate the two choirs, I used DP's MW Limiter on each of the Main tracks. For the Echo only, no limiter on the individual tracks plus I ran all voices in Melodyne Studio—correcting all the Eco pitches gave me a thinner, less full sound.

brainworx_limiter True Peak on the Master bus only saved me hours trying to get the Main right without a ton of distortion and let me balance it with the Echo — nearly as loud. True Peak is my new best friend for dense vocal tracks (the only kind I deal with). The Reverb was the Large Hall setting on Exponential Audio's PhoenixVerb set to 75% — again, on the Master only.

I did not process dynamics at all other than two overall settings for the Main and Echo. I did edit all the consonants for timing and the closing to the "nnnn" at the end. That's what takes all the time.

The video recordings were done on Zoom. I edited the videos, stripped the original audio and dropped the DP track in Adobe Premiere Elements. For what I do, PE is faster than FCPx.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro