The Last Words of David

Share music created in Digital Performer
Forum rules
This forum is where you can post links to sound files of your projects created in Digital Performer in order to get feedback. You may also plug your band and announce live performances.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

The Last Words of David

Post by mikehalloran »

I made my own Inauguration video using stuff I had around the house and a few friends. The Last Words of David by Randall Thomson. I planned on doing this last week but the Sync License from E. C. Schirmer took some time.

https://youtu.be/9qhNvkOtlCQ

I work for both of these churches but am choir director at one. When I found 50 copies of this in one library last Fall, I knew that it needed to be programmed near the Inauguration with both choirs. Didn't matter who won; the words were equally on point.

The video is lip sync'd over the audio. The combined choirs contributed over 40 tracks even though there are only 28 in the video.

A number of people have asked if I could teach this, to which I answer, Yes but DP saves me so much time, I don't really want to have to teach a class for any generic DAW.

Video is the quick and easy part.

My music supervisor
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Re: The Last Words of David

Post by bayswater »

Super Mike. That swell near the start -- did the choir do that or did you use a fader?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

There may have been some control by the choir, but there was definitely a fader involved.

Nice one, Mike. :headbang:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

monkey man wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:07 pm There may have been some control by the choir, but there was definitely a fader involved.

Nice one, Mike. :headbang:
I was wondering how to get a choir to do that, even if they're all in one room.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

You can get 'em to do it, Stoivo, but I could tell that there was artificial gain employed 'cause the tonal changes that would normally occur weren't really there.

FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Your feline music supervisor must be proud and happy.
I loved the dynamic changes. There are very few things more beautiful than a choir singing pianissimo.

Nice work!
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

That swell near the start -- did the choir do that or did you use a fader?
Yes to both.
I was wondering how to get a choir to do that, even if they're all in one room.
Pretty easy when everybody is in one room and they're well rehearsed — two things not available for nearly a year.
monkey man wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:32 pm You can get 'em to do it, Stoivo, but I could tell that there was artificial gain employed 'cause the tonal changes that would normally occur weren't really there.
Monkey is nearly right. More accurately, there may have been a lot of control by the choir, but there was definitely a fader involved.

Most of it was the choir but, as one can hear, not all. In fact, for the services, I'd left that alone and the tonal change is easier to hear. But the effect wasn't as dramatic as I liked so I enhanced it in DP for the YouTube video. Here's the volume graph for those measures. As you can see, not as much fader as one might think.

The Bethel choir had one rehearsal and service with me as their new temporary director before lockdown. I'd been an occasional soloist and substitute conductor over the years and my wife, Sylvia had been the pianist for a year. So, when the director quit suddenly, the coir asked for me to step in till they found someone. I had two Sundays a month at PoP where I'd been leading the praise band for a year. Sylvia would conduct on Sundays and the organist would accompany the choir. As I mentioned, that lasted a week but we all knew we'd be back in a month or two…certainly by Easter, right?

The choir asked for a Zoom meeting. My wife and I both in the same room—no latency— conducted and played to faces that we couldn't hear. When done, we greed that would never happen again … till they emailed us and asked if we wanted to do it again. On the third meeting, I decided to teach them how to use Dropbox. Sylvia and I would make guide tracks; they'd upload vocal tracks… Ten months and 27 videos later, here we are.

All the while, I was doing the same thing with the praise band at PoP while trying to convince the choir director to do what I'm doing with the choir. You see, that was not my first choir but it was my first church job 49 years ago and I'd hired the current director as the organist in 1976. This was their first foray into a Zoom video and I hope they do more. I do hear the Twilight Zone theme in the back of my head when I realize I'm working with that choir (and a few of those singers) again.

As to the amount of work it takes to get that many singers to work together when no two are in the same room, a picture is worth a thousand words. This doesn't show the all of the tracks but is the entire timeline. You can see that I engaged the fader a little at the end. Again, not much—still mostly choir.

A 27" monitor is not large enough to show everything, of course. The Mixer is on one side screen while the score is displayed on another.

Effects are few: the MOTU DeEsser and Eventide SP2016 Vintage Room at 31% on the Master. Certain singers are easier to manage with the MasterWorks Limiter. Sometimes, I need to fix this and that with RX8a on a few tracks.

The visual markers that DP embeds in tracks saves me many hours when editing. You can't quantize choirs and I will not use a click (praise bands are different). Certain vowel and pitch changes show up about 90% of the time. Logic can't compare for what I'm doing.

I do not use pitch correction unless the basses just can't hit the required low notes and that I'll fix. Otherwise, what happens when they sing live again? One would not want to hear most of the individual tracks that make up an online choir.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Thanks for the edumacation, Brother Mike. :headbang:

greg328

Post by greg328 »

Fascinating, thanks for sharing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 GIG RAM, Apollo Quad, OS 13.4.1 Ventura
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

great stuff Mike~
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Thanks for the details. I sent the youtube link to a couple of people I know in locked down choirs and I think they'll be interested in how this was done. Do the members of the choirs have anything to say about the experience of singing to a guide track versus singing along with the whole choir in one room? Do you think it makes a difference to how well they can blend pitch, dynamics and timing? This sounds good on all three, so it worked well on this piece.
b.g.

Post by b.g. »

Beautiful.
MacBook Pro retina 2015, i7, 16GB, DP 10, M4
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:15 am Thanks for the details. I sent the youtube link to a couple of people I know in locked down choirs and I think they'll be interested in how this was done. Do the members of the choirs have anything to say about the experience of singing to a guide track versus singing along with the whole choir in one room? Do you think it makes a difference to how well they can blend pitch, dynamics and timing? This sounds good on all three, so it worked well on this piece.
No one thinks of this as an acceptable substitute for the real thing. This certainly isn't what Eric Whitacre* is doing. That said, it does work and people like Matt Curtis are selling kits with guide tracks and materials to try to make it easier. It beats what most churches and schools are doing: nothing.

I've learned quite a bit since February and have quite a few tips and have honed a process that makes it fairly easy. Easy is still very time consuming for choir. You need to make or buy guide tracks, rehearse the choir, receive, assemble and edit those tracks into what you saw and heard. After 27 of these, I know where to be tight and what I can let slide—and it's a lot. Heaven is renaissance style counterpoint with long, held notes. Hell=unison x # singers. No slop allowed with unison. You learn where to begin syllables (depends on the consonant) and how to edit 40 different ts endings to sound as one. Live, they just have to learn your hands. You figure out when to use computer audio, Zoom audio from DP and audio played into a mic etc. And so on…

The video is easy: we record it during a rehearsal; it takes me about 10 minutes to assemble with the completed audio unless I do special effects which I try to avoid. I often record the video to instrumental guide tracks.

Praise band, not so much time involved. You're producing records, using click and simple guide/rhythm tracks with one scratch vocal. The only big difference is that you can't be present for tracking and it can't be done in your booth.

10 months ago, we were all figuring it out on our own. I learned the old fashioned way: one mistake at a time. I could certainly teach others how to jump start the learning curve.

*My daughter teaches choral and composition at the Vermont School of Fine Arts nowadays. I scored major Dad Points a few years back when I introduced her to Eric Whitacre and Paul Williams and she got to hang out with them a bit.
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Nice work all around. Thanks for sharing your experience.

A perhaps relevant trick from the Singers Unlimited: Only one of them sang the final consonants. One is all you need and there’s never a double-T that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
rp88.2

Post by rp88.2 »

Mike:

Thanks for sharing the music, video and some of the production techniques!

Enjoyed the performance-- excellent!

Thanks again.

All the best,

Rich