MIDI tracks automatically recording volume and pan information

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
TimCox
Primary DAW OS: Windows

MIDI tracks automatically recording volume and pan information

Post by TimCox »

Hello all,

For whatever reason, midway through a session DP9 began automatically writing volume and pan on my MIDI tracks. Now after reloading it's just doing it all the time. This is really messing up my mix, lol. I'm using an old Kurzweil 88 with a MIDI to USB so I troubleshooted by unplugging it completely as well as my separate MIDI control surface and still the issue remains. I've tried finding a setting to explain this but I think I may just be too dumb to find it. I'm hoping someone knows what this is or has run into it before.
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MIDI tracks automatically recording volume and pan information

Post by FMiguelez »

That sounds like you're using one of the automation modes inadvertently.

You can see the automation mode for each channel in the mixer next to the pan pot. What does it read? I'm not in front of DP now, but try setting that in the problem channels to something like Read only and not overdub or overwrite.

If this is the case, you may have a shortcut you accidentally pressed and it changed those settings. Also, check the default setting for this, so all your newly-created channels are set to your prefered mode automatically.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
TimCox

Post by TimCox »

They're all set to "latch" with the green arrow. What confuses me is that this has been my default orchestral template for a number of years without this problem. I've gone into settings and disabled "Global Automation" but I'm not quite sure that's the right setting.
TimCox

Post by TimCox »

Ok, I've gone through and unchecked the arrow for everything and still as soon as I hit record I get an automatic pan and volume. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by FMiguelez »

You could prevent DP from reading/writing pan and volume via brute force by disallowing them in the Input Filter. But this would be only a temporary solution (so you can keep working) while you figure out the real root of the problem.

So I take it you've deleted the CCs manually and they get re-written the moment you press record on a MIDI track?
Did this start happening out of the blue without you having done "notorious" changes in your template?

Other than this being an issue with the Read/Write mixer modes, I've no idea what else could cause this.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
TimCox

Post by TimCox »

Right, it's just started happening without any major template changes. I thought at first it could be an issue with VEP but I have internal instances of Kontakt inside DP as well that are doing the same thing. I use the faders and pan inside DP for some extra fine tuning and that's all being reset to center/127 so I may just have to try your brute force suggestion for now, thanks