Help configuring MTP-AV USB - RESOLVED

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Milesy303
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Help configuring MTP-AV USB - RESOLVED

Post by Milesy303 »

Hi folks I’m having problems configuring the routing section within clockworks - namely that it doesn’t actually show.

The device is version 2.0.1 and label has M/W printed on it which going by another few posts u found indicate that the device is suitable for intel architectures.

The driver installs ok and clockworks recognises the device. I can even do the factory restore option.

Just routings is completely empty.

Additionally I can see from the manual that the default configuration means that software can access all inputs and outputs but what’s the default routing options? I had assumed it would be all inputs to all outputs but that was obviously wrong.

In case I can’t get the software working is the front panel process to route all inputs to all outputs going to be really hard?

Many thanks

Chris
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Help configuring MTP-AV USB

Post by mikehalloran »

Milesy303 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:20 pm Hi folks I’m having problems configuring the routing section within clockworks - namely that it doesn’t actually show.

The device is version 2.0.1 and label has M/W printed on it which going by another few posts u found indicate that the device is suitable for intel architectures.

The driver installs ok and clockworks recognises the device. I can even do the factory restore option.

Additionally I can see from the manual that the default configuration means that software can access all inputs and outputs but what’s the default routing options? I had assumed it would be all inputs to all outputs but that was obviously wrong.

In case I can’t get the software working is the front panel process to route all inputs to all outputs going to be really hard?

Many thanks

Chris
Not enough information. A MIDI device does not work in a vacuum.

Need to know your OS and version. Also need to know what app you are using and what kind of device you're hooking up to it.

Likewise, is SMPTE is an issue and, if so, what are the particulars?

For most situations, page 37 is where you want to be. You draw your routing points among the various points.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Milesy303

Post by Milesy303 »

mikehalloran wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:58 pm
Milesy303 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:20 pm Hi folks I’m having problems configuring the routing section within clockworks - namely that it doesn’t actually show.

Many thanks

Chris
Not enough information. A MIDI device does not work in a vacuum.

Need to know your OS and version. Also need to know what app you are using and what kind of device you're hooking up to it.

Likewise, is SMPTE is an issue and, if so, what are the particulars?

For most situations, page 37 is where you want to be. You draw your routing points among the various points.
As I explained there is NO routing screen in clockworks. I cannot create routings.

I’ve tried it on three separate machines.

Windows 10.
Windows 7
MacOS Mojave.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Where did you find current Clockworks drivers for Mojave? I've not used it since OS 9.
Last edited by mikehalloran on Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Milesy303

Post by Milesy303 »

Was the most recent macos ones I found on the website. Doesn’t really help me though
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Milesy303 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:22 pm
As I explained there is NO routing screen in clockworks. I cannot create routings.

Windows 10.
Windows 7
MacOS Mojave.
That's not right.

pg 3 of the Clockworks manual:

ABOUT CLOCKWORKS
ClockWorks is a Mac OS X software console for the MIDI Timepiece AV interface and synchronizer. ClockWorks gives you convenient access to all of the MIDI Timepiece AV’s settings.

Identical in both the Mac and Windows versions. You may download the Clockworks manuals from a link at this page:
https://motu.com/download/download_matc ... duct_id=16

I'd forgotten that Clockworks had its own manuals. Anyway, that page was last updated 2011 and the manuals have a 2004 date that makes them 17 years old.

Unless your unit is still registered under another name, you can register it at MOTU.com and be eligible for tech support. They answered questions regarding my 22 year old Micro Express (serial) for me last year. If still registered and you're in contact with the seller, they have to email or call MOTU to change that.

Clockworks is still mentioned in the Windows driver downloads; not in the Mac driver downloads since 2011—and then for OS 10.4.

I'm going to take a guess that it still works but in Windows only. Since MOTU drivers still mention it, MOTU Support should be able to help you.

As for the Mac? I have no idea if it still works nor do I have the time or curiosity to test it with my MTP AV USB (which works great over Catalina with Digital Performer). OS 10.4 was PPC only. If any required files are 32 bit, it cannot work after High Sierra. Again, I'm guessing. MOTU support will know these things.

Unless you know that the unit has been serviced recently, open it up and replace the CR2032 battery. An old battery is worse than none with these. Your settings cannot be saved without a good battery. Mine gets changed every 5 years or so.

While you're in there, check the version number on this EPROM. It needs to be 1.32 or later to work on a current Mac. If 1.31, it might work with Windows still—I don't know.

We already know that you have the 2.0.1 firmware chip—you're good there.

Milesy303

Post by Milesy303 »

mikehalloran wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:33 pm
Milesy303 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:22 pm

Windows 10.
Windows 7
MacOS Mojave.
That's not right.

pg 3 of the Clockworks manual:

ABOUT CLOCKWORKS
ClockWorks is a Mac OS X software console for the MIDI Timepiece AV interface and synchronizer. ClockWorks gives you convenient access to all of the MIDI Timepiece AV’s settings.

Identical in both the Mac and Windows versions. You may download the Clockworks manuals from a link at this page:
https://motu.com/download/download_matc ... duct_id=16

I'd forgotten that Clockworks had its own manuals. Anyway, that page was last updated 2011 and the manuals have a 2004 date that makes them 17 years old.

Unless your unit is still registered under another name, you can register it at MOTU.com and be eligible for tech support. They answered questions regarding my 22 year old Micro Express (serial) for me last year. If still registered and you're in contact with the seller, they have to email or call MOTU to change that.

Clockworks is still mentioned in the Windows driver downloads; not in the Mac driver downloads since 2011—and then for OS 10.4.

I'm going to take a guess that it still works but in Windows only. Since MOTU drivers still mention it, MOTU Support should be able to help you.

As for the Mac? I have no idea if it still works nor do I have the time or curiosity to test it with my MTP AV USB (which works great over Catalina with Digital Performer). OS 10.4 was PPC only. If any required files are 32 bit, it cannot work after High Sierra. Again, I'm guessing. MOTU support will know these things.

Unless you know that the unit has been serviced recently, open it up and replace the CR2032 battery. An old battery is worse than none with these. Your settings cannot be saved without a good battery. Mine gets changed every 5 years or so.

While you're in there, check the version number on this EPROM. It needs to be 1.32 or later to work on a current Mac. If 1.31, it might work with Windows still—I don't know.

We already know that you have the 2.0.1 firmware chip—you're good there.

I registered it and opened a ticket a few days ago as well.

The chip is 1.32 which yes according to their docs supports intel.

Chris
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by CharlzS »

Milesy303 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:22 pm As I explained there is NO routing screen in clockworks. I cannot create routings.

Windows 10.
Windows 7
MacOS Mojave.
I'm using a MTP-AV 2.01 without issue on Windows 20H2 with the last MOTU MIDI Installer posted for USB MIDI devices. The default routing is empty of connections except for the sync entries. This gives the expected behavior in DAWs if you're using outboard synths and modules attaching the devices ins and outs to the same numbered port.
Image Can't get the image to appear so here's the link: https://imgur.com/cz2VgjQ

Don't know why your routing is blank, but Mike's recommendation to change batteries is a good one. Low/dead batteries can cause many issues.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Milesy303

Post by Milesy303 »

Ok. Changed the battery and the routing section has appeared. Yay. Thanks folks.
PartTimeGeek

Post by PartTimeGeek »

Hey Chris!

My long time MOTU based studio (24 Channels of MOTU audio I/0 and a MIDI Timepiece AV Parallel) was enough to be Windows XP based with an MTP AV Parallel interface.. I had put music and recording completely on a back burner, and that studio languished for about 14 years in my basement.. Life got in the way...

Around 2017 I THOUGHT I might build out a new studio, and knew I would have to buy a USB interface but I already had a complex set of MIDI controllers and modules and a setup I was comfortable with, so I did some research and found the right seller with an MTP AV USB with the right firmware and the right USB eprom in it to work with Windows 10.

Typically for me, life got in the way yet again... The MTP AV USB sat in the box it was shipped in for almost 2 years. (THIS is related to the point of all this TL;DR)

Then around Christmas 2019, I finally had a little bit of a bonus, and decided to go all out. Built a new studio around an Intel NUC Hades Canyon PC, loaded to the gills, And a UAD Apollo x8P. I pared my studio down to just what I wanted to keep, and inside my DAW and on corner of my bedroom I could produce sounds that used to take a basement full of gear.

It was elegant, efficient, and sounded glorious, as I still had the timeless stuff that you buy once and hold onto as long as they will function (Great microphones, a killer set of powered monitors, great headphones, and some solid analog outboard gear, good guitars etc) that now fed into a quantum leap ahead in terms of the mic pre and audio interface not to mention the VST instruments and plug-ins...

Then... In January 2020, The NUC PC turned out to be a bad unit, and I cross shipped it to Intel for a warranty replacement.. Which worked flawlessly! I just dropped the M2 SSD and RAM into the new one, and not even a complaint from Windows 10 about it being a new motherboard.. Everything worked again!
Including my "new-ish" MTP AV USB.. It talked to all my gear, Clockworks allowed me to route my foot controller directly to my Roland GP-100 guitar processor if I wanted to use it without my DAW, etc...

Then COVID... And that Intel NUC was nominated as the only working windows 10 PC I had available in the house.. As my company went into lockdown, me being their IT Director and for the most part, the whole IT staff meant that I yanked the PC out of the studio, and set it up downstairs in a makeshift office away from the kids and the dogs.. and that is where it stayed, until now, Sept 2022..

There were three Windows 10 Feature updates in the intervening time.. And I knew that I would likely have to uninstall and reinstall the drivers for the Apollo, and update it's firmware... But what I did NOT expect is the MTP AV whose windows drivers were last updated in 2013 by MOTU (although they saw fit to keep releasing drivers for Mac users all the way until 2017... What the heck?) would suddenly stop passing MIDI messages through to the DAW after fulling uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers...

I had tried all the angles I could as an IT person and former software engineer to find out if there was something about the latest build of Windows changing the USB handling enough to invalidate the 2013 MOTU drivers, and all sorts of Red Herrings looking at Device Manager entries in the "events" tab seeing stuff about the device not being Migrated... Used Device manager after turning off the MTP, displayed hidden devices, selected each component that was instantiated by that driver set, and selected Uninstall, and where allowed, remove the driver checkbox as well. Then yet again did an uninstall from Control Panel | Programs and Features | MOTU hardware then a reboot, then a reinstall.

All that time, the MTP would show MIDI message data at the LED for port 1 where my main controller keyboard was connected when I hit the keys. but it WOULD NOT make it into the record ready track in my DAW like it used to before the COVID pause...
However the thing was, Reaper, in my case, saw all the ports in the MTP AV. Ultimately I dug down to each of the three component drivers that the MOTU installer instantiate, and in all cases windows said they were working properly.. Further when the device was turned on, Clockworks would recognize it and populate. ALL but the Routing Tab which was a black square in the UI.

I am HOPING against hope that the 2 years sitting in the box from the ebay seller, and the 2 years of COVID induced studio neglect and lack of AC power to the MTP means that the CR2032 battery died. And that if Clockworks cannot see the internal routing because of that, HOPEFULLY that explains why the PC cannot pass MIDI data in or out.

Wish me luck. I am going to try putting the battery in this weekend.

The MTP AV has served me well since the days I would use it to stripe SMPTE onto track 8 of my Tascam 238 Syncaset and lock my Blackface ADAT and sequencer together when ProTools was still a gleam in SoundTools 2 track eye......

I have looked at the iConnectivity mioXL as the next choice for me if MOTU Windows support is as bad as I have been reading it to be even on the MIDI Express XT and other CURRENTLY shipping devices, but it does not handle some of my legacy gear and it is the devil I DON'T know.... and it is 400 Effing DOLLARS that I don't have lol..
PartTimeGeek

Post by PartTimeGeek »

Hey Chris!

I have had a long history using, and years ago for Sam Ash Music, SELLING MOTU music products.

My long time MOTU based studio (24 Channels of MOTU audio I/0 and a MIDI Timepiece AV Parallel) was old enough to be Windows XP based with an MTP AV Parallel interface..
I got that studio "perfected" around 1998 and used it during the time where I had a day job and was also a regularly gigging musician with more than one band.

Around 2006 or so I had put music and recording completely on a back burner, and that studio languished for about 14 years in my basement.. Life got in the way...

Around 2017 I THOUGHT I might build out a new studio, and knew I would have to buy a USB interface but I already had a complex set of MIDI controllers and modules and a setup I was comfortable with, so I did some research and found the right seller with an MTP AV USB with the right firmware and the right USB eprom in it to work with Windows 10.

Typically for me, life got in the way yet again... The MTP AV USB sat in the box it was shipped in for almost 2 years. (THIS is related to the point of all this TL;DR)

Then around Christmas 2019, I finally had a little bit of a bonus, and decided to go all out. Built a new studio around an Intel NUC Hades Canyon PC, loaded to the gills, And a UAD Apollo x8P. I pared my studio down to just what I wanted to keep, and inside my DAW and a single rack and omnirax music desk in one corner of my bedroom I could produce sounds that sounded worlds better than what used to take a basement full of gear.

It was elegant, efficient, and sounded glorious, as I still had the timeless stuff that you buy once and hold onto as long as they will function (Great microphones, a killer set of powered monitors, great headphones, and some solid analog outboard gear, good guitars etc) that now fed into a quantum leap ahead in terms of the mic pre and audio interface not to mention the VST instruments and plug-ins...

Then... In January 2020, The NUC PC turned out to be a bad unit, and I cross shipped it to Intel for a warranty replacement.. Which worked flawlessly! I just dropped the M2 SSD and RAM into the new one, and not even a complaint from Windows 10 about it being a new motherboard.. Everything worked again!
Including my "new-ish" MTP AV USB.. It talked to all my gear, Clockworks allowed me to route my foot controller directly to my Roland GP-100 guitar processor if I wanted to use it without my DAW, etc...

Then COVID... And that Intel NUC was nominated as the only working windows 10 PC I had available in the house.. As my company went into lockdown, me being their IT Director and for the most part, the whole IT staff meant that I yanked the PC out of the studio, and set it up downstairs in a makeshift office away from the kids and the dogs.. and that is where it stayed, until now, Sept 2022..

There were three Windows 10 Feature updates in the intervening time.. And I knew that I would likely have to uninstall and reinstall the drivers for the Apollo, and update it's firmware... But what I did NOT expect is the MTP AV whose windows drivers were last updated in 2013 by MOTU (although they saw fit to keep releasing drivers for Mac users all the way until 2017... What the heck?) would suddenly stop passing MIDI messages through to the DAW after fulling uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers...

I had tried all the angles I could as an IT person and former software engineer to find out if there was something about the latest build of Windows changing the USB handling enough to invalidate the 2013 MOTU drivers, and all sorts of Red Herrings looking at Device Manager entries in the "events" tab seeing stuff about the device not being Migrated... Used Device manager after turning off the MTP, displayed hidden devices, selected each component that was instantiated by that driver set, and selected Uninstall, and where allowed, remove the driver checkbox as well. Then yet again did an uninstall from Control Panel | Programs and Features | MOTU hardware then a reboot, then a reinstall.

All that time, the MTP would show MIDI message data at the LED for port 1 where my main controller keyboard was connected when I hit the keys. but it WOULD NOT make it into the record ready track in my DAW like it used to before the COVID pause...
However the thing was, Reaper, in my case, saw all the ports in the MTP AV. Ultimately I dug down to each of the three component drivers that the MOTU installer instantiate, and in all cases windows said they were working properly.. Further when the device was turned on, Clockworks would recognize it and populate. ALL but the Routing Tab which was a black square in the UI.

I am HOPING against hope that the 2 years sitting in the box from the ebay seller, and the 2 years of COVID induced studio neglect and lack of AC power to the MTP means that the CR2032 battery died. And that if Clockworks cannot see the internal routing because of that, HOPEFULLY that explains why the PC cannot pass MIDI data in or out.

The MTP AV has served me well since the days I would use it to stripe SMPTE onto track 8 of my Tascam 238 Syncaset and lock my Blackface ADAT and sequencer together when ProTools was still a gleam in SoundTools 2 track eye......

I have looked at the iConnectivity mioXL as the next choice for me if MOTU Windows support is as bad as I have been reading it to be even on the MIDI Express XT and other CURRENTLY shipping devices, but it does not handle some of my legacy gear and it is the devil I DON'T know.... and it is 400 Effing DOLLARS that I don't have lol..
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

In my San Jose basement where analog goes to be forgotten there is a TASCAM 238S with Remote. Probably works perfectly.

:headbang:
PartTimeGeek

Post by PartTimeGeek »

mikehalloran wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:41 pm
In my San Jose basement where analog goes to be forgotten there is a TASCAM 238S with Remote. Probably works perfectly.

:headbang:
I LOVED that little unit.. You could actually somehow hit it hard with drums and it would sound good like tape should.. the DBX II (if I remember correctly) actually worked, and I have no idea how they managed to make 1/8" tape do what it did. I am kinda sorry I let it go, as I found two old multitrack master tapes of a band that I helped record when I was in college, which I would LOVE to dump into Reaper through my Apollo and re-visit.
?
The 238 allowed me into the 8 track world at a time when I had just graduated from a local independent recording school on Long Island where they had a Tascam 38 reel to reel.. I HAD to have those extra 4 tracks... and I was lusting after this baby which I never could afford: (Good god, they are MODELING the thing now!!)
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/trtascam388/

I already had basically the same split console mixer but with 4 busses as the 388 and with the 238, I started to record other people..
I know it must be rose tinted glasses but I miss that thing.

Hey what do you think the odds are that my MTP AV USB works with Windows 10 build 21H1 once I replace that CR2032 battery?? :)

Wish me luck. Headed home now..
Milesy303

Post by Milesy303 »

PartTimeGeek wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:02 pm Hey Chris!

I have had a long history using, and years ago for Sam Ash Music, SELLING MOTU music products.

My long time MOTU based studio (24 Channels of MOTU audio I/0 and a MIDI Timepiece AV Parallel) was old enough to be Windows XP based with an MTP AV Parallel interface..
I got that studio "perfected" around 1998 and used it during the time where I had a day job and was also a regularly gigging musician with more than one band.

Around 2006 or so I had put music and recording completely on a back burner, and that studio languished for about 14 years in my basement.. Life got in the way...

Then around Christmas 2019, I finally had a little bit of a bonus, and decided to go all out. Built a new studio around an Intel NUC Hades Canyon PC, loaded to the gills, And a UAD Apollo x8P. I pared my studio down to just what I wanted to keep, and inside my DAW and a single rack and omnirax music desk in one corner of my bedroom I could produce sounds that sounded worlds better than what used to take a basement full of gear.

Is this the timepiece you originally used or a replacement one? If it’s a replacement you need to check like I done that the chips are supported. The Mac only (power pc) chips are the other endian so won’t work in windows
PartTimeGeek

Post by PartTimeGeek »

Thanks for the reply Chris, the replacement MTP AV USB was indeed specifically a 1.32 USB and 2.0.1 MIDI chip version. It worked on Windows 10 back in 2020 before I pulled the studio PC out to use for remote work from home. Best news is I replaced the CR 2032 battery just about an hour ago and bam! Everything is working again!