buzz in MOTU Audio Express

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Assolo77
Primary DAW OS: Windows

buzz in MOTU Audio Express

Post by Assolo77 »

Goodmorning everyone,
my MOTU Audio Express is connected to pc and multieffect Zoom G3n, but i hear a buzz coming from the stereo cable (R+L) of the MIc/Instrument input: how how can I delete it?
Thank you
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: buzz in MOTU Audio Express

Post by HCMarkus »

Ground loop most likely. Easiest fix: Plug all devices into a power strip fed from same AC outlet. Eliminate other paths to ground if problem persists; these can include signal, USB and Firewire cables.

Also, check gain staging; if improper, nominal noise can be amplified into the zone of distraction.

For more on these subjects, Google is your friend.
Assolo77

Post by Assolo77 »

thank you for your help,
I tried to do as you told me but the buzz remains.
I also tried to replace the connection cable between multi-effect and sound card with a single-balanced cable, but don't works.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Assolo77 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:48 am Goodmorning everyone,
my MOTU Audio Express is connected to pc and multieffect Zoom G3n, but i hear a buzz coming from the stereo cable (R+L) of the MIc/Instrument input: how how can I delete it?
Thank you
You need to find the cause of the buzz. Wr do not have enough information.
Google is your friend.
That
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
1000suns

Post by 1000suns »

I just got a new Zoom G3n multi-effects processor and it buzzes like crazy just feeding it into my fender princeton 65 amp. If I have the guitar strapped to my body and I touch the unit on metal the buzz goes away (but I need to be wearing the guitar for it to work). Any ideas how to stop this? (as suggested everything is powered into the same surge protector, no avail). Its driving my band crazy and I can't even use it :/
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

If touching a piece of metal makes te buzzing stop, you have a shielding problem, no question about it. Touching it makes your body the shield. There is nothing a surge protector or power conditioner can do about that.

Bad cable? Lack of shielding in the guitar? Noisy fluorescent light, dimmer or power transformer overpowering inadequate shielding on your guitar? Magnet touching a bare winding in the coil of a Strat? Loose shield in the Zoom?There are other possibilities but, without having the gear in hand, I’m only guessing. Again, Google is your friend. Shield buzz guitar. Since a new piece of gear has been introduced, I’d look there first.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro