ultralite mk3 mac M1 and big Sur

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
LPMad
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: ultralite mk3 mac M1 and big Sur

Post by LPMad »

Hi,

My personal studio is based on a Track 16 and a Traveler mk3.
My Mac Pro died and I bought a Mac mini m1 and two apple adapters (a firewire to thunderbolt2 and a thunderbolt 2 to 3).
Nothing works, not even the Track16 as a usb interface.
I'm looking forward that Motu make new drivers for firewire interfaces or I will leave the brand (that I love) to some RME cards or another brand that we can rely.
I can't afford to buy new interfaces every year or so but I think the ones I have are not so old as that (It's even a ecological question that all those machines became obsolete so quickly).
What are the chances of a good outcome?

Cheers to all
Luís Pedro Madeira
ronaldroy

Post by ronaldroy »

Also waiting to see what will happen with the Traveller Mk3. I have an M1 Macbook air. I haven't bought the required adapter cables yet .. it seems that would be pointless at this stage.
ronaldroy

Post by ronaldroy »

LPMad wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:17 am Hi,

My personal studio is based on a Track 16 and a Traveler mk3.
My Mac Pro died and I bought a Mac mini m1 and two apple adapters (a firewire to thunderbolt2 and a thunderbolt 2 to 3).
Nothing works, not even the Track16 as a usb interface.
I'm looking forward that Motu make new drivers for firewire interfaces or I will leave the brand (that I love) to some RME cards or another brand that we can rely.
I can't afford to buy new interfaces every year or so but I think the ones I have are not so old as that (It's even a ecological question that all those machines became obsolete so quickly).
What are the chances of a good outcome?

Cheers to all
Luís Pedro Madeira
I agree, if they wont work. I'll move to RME. Still holding out hope though. (Traveller Mk3, which I believe is the same driver/firmware etc as the ultralites)
ronaldroy

Post by ronaldroy »

Any news on this. Traveller mk3 is not working with M1 Macbook Air. It powers up and looks good through thunderbolt 4 adapter but nothing showing up on mac.
TheWolf

Post by TheWolf »

Ultralite Mk2 firewire working fine here under macOS Monterey 12.0.1 on macbook pro 14" m1 max
using the mk3 hybrid driver :)

MrFresh

Post by MrFresh »

Good news, what is the cable arrangement used: a FW400 to FW800 adapter (or cable) plugged into an Apple FW800 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter, plugged into an Apple Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter.? Thanks again!
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

MrFresh wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:13 pm Good news, what is the cable arrangement used: a FW400 to FW800 adapter (or cable) plugged into an Apple FW800 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter, plugged into an Apple Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter.? Thanks again!
That's the method, about to set this up for a friend later this week once the adapters arrive.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
MrFresh

Post by MrFresh »

Michael Canavan wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:30 pm
MrFresh wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:13 pm Good news, what is the cable arrangement used: a FW400 to FW800 adapter (or cable) plugged into an Apple FW800 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter, plugged into an Apple Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter.? Thanks again!
That's the method, about to set this up for a friend later this week once the adapters arrive.
Sounds good, I should have the Thunderbolt adapters coming today.
MrFresh

Post by MrFresh »

Michael Canavan wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:30 pm
Hi Michael. Thanks for the confirmation.
Last edited by MrFresh on Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ronnb

Post by ronnb »

Regarding the Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 (USB C) adapter, I've found a much cheaper source for this on ebay.
Amazon is not a good source for adapters. One problem is that sellers on ebay confuse Thunderbolt 2 as being the same as a mini displayport,
which it is not.
See: https://blog.tripplite.com/whats-the-di ... isplayport
MacBook Pro 2.3 ghz i9, OSX11.6.2, 16GB RAM
PC-88
Overture, Dorico, Reason
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

ronnb wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:02 am Regarding the Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 (USB C) adapter, I've found a much cheaper source for this on ebay.
And they work? That's not what most sources report. USB-C is a port, not a protocol. An MDP to USB-C cable or adapter looks the same but is not (I use 2 to connect my LG 4K monitors to my iMac Pro). There are Windows users who claim that the Apple adapter does not work for them but Mac owners should use it because they do.
Amazon is not a good source for adapters.
Prices are the same as the Apple Store. I have 6 of those within a 15 mile radius of me so I usually buy there.
One problem is that sellers on ebay confuse Thunderbolt 2 as being the same as a mini displayport,
which it is not.
See: https://blog.tripplite.com/whats-the-di ... isplayport
Yes, that's an issue but I've never bought a TB cable over eBay that didn't work — back in the day when it was $12 vs $49 for a 1M cable, that made a big difference in my budget. One needs to read carefully, however.

I've not found TB cables to be incompatible with MDP — TB/TB2 cables are far more expensive so it's a needless expense.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
ronnb

Post by ronnb »

I tried this, firewire 800—thunderbolt2—Thunderbolt3
however it did not work. The system report shows something attached but does not recognize the MK3.

I will simply buy another interface at this point since MOTU is not doing the support that is needed even though their site claims that they are.
I'm out of tricks. Updating to OSX 12 is not a great improvement from Big Sur for me.
PC-88
Overture, Dorico, Reason
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

ronnb wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:24 pm
however it did not work. The system report shows something attached but does not recognize the MK3.

I will simply buy another interface at this point since MOTU is not doing the support that is needed even though their site claims that they are.
I'm out of tricks. Updating to OSX 12 is not a great improvement from Big Sur for me.
Read my post on the last page of this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=66746&start=45

Select Ultralite mk4 (not mk5!) in the download list and follow the rest of the instructions to see the correct drivers for MacOS 10.13/14/15, 11 & 12.

If you used the Apple adapters and there's no issue with your unit, it should work.
MOTU is not doing the support that is needed even though their site claims that they are.
As I have mentioned, MOTU hardware is now warranteed for 2 years. They've made it difficult to find current drivers that work because they do not want to support old hardware. If they are still claiming otherwise, I don't see it on their web site.

I'll be editing that page soon to list devices and categories.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
ronnb

Post by ronnb »

mikehalloran wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:45 pm

Select Ultralite mk4 (not mk5!) in the download list and follow the rest of the instructions to see the correct drivers for MacOS 10.13/14/15, 11 & 12.

If you used the Apple adapters and there's no issue with your unit, it should work.
That is all and well, however, I tried installing the Ultralite MK4 driver and it does not work, period. No MOTU devices are discovered.
Considering I bought this interface in 2017, I will simply replace it with another unit from another company whom I think will do a better job in maintaining drivers, though planned obsolescence seems to be a reoccuring problem nowadays.

I don't see any point in rewarding MOTU with my business either considering their indifference, I'll go the cheapest route I can though I could afford something more, just because I can.
PC-88
Overture, Dorico, Reason
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

ronnb wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:50 am
mikehalloran wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:45 pm

That is all and well, however, I tried installing the Ultralite MK4 driver and it does not work, period. No MOTU devices are discovered.
Considering I bought this interface in 2017, I will simply replace it with another unit from another company whom I think will do a better job in maintaining drivers, though planned obsolescence seems to be a reoccuring problem nowadays.

I don't see any point in rewarding MOTU with my business either considering their indifference, I'll go the cheapest route I can though I could afford something more, just because I can.
Did you do this within 30 minutes of installing te driver? I’ll guess that you didn’t. If not, you need to reinstall the driver again. Sometimes, it helps to shut down and restart first — as long as you do it within the 30 minute window.

https://motu.com/techsupport/technotes ... igh-sierra

The UltraLite Mk3 was discontinued in 2016. My 828mkII was discontinued ten years earlier and works fine over Catalina with the MacOS 15 driver on my 2012 MBP, over Big Sur with the MacOS 11 driver on my wife’s 2013 MBAir, now Monterey with the MacOS 12 driver on my iMac Pro. Same drivers that the UltraLite through Mk4 require (Mk5 uses a different one).

In each instance, I’m using the Apple FW–TB adapter. On my iMP, it plugs into the Apple TB2–TB3 adapter. I’ve not tried it into our 2021 M1 MBAir yet.